Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Howlin for Wolves Founder  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
  Q&A with Howling for Wolves Founder Dr. Maureen Hackett

Article:
 Today at 7:09 a.m.

Dr. Maureen Hackett :doofus:

A Twin Cities wolf advocacy group said there are other ways to co-exist with wolves without using lethal methods to control populations, and wants to end the practice of snaring in Minnesota.
"Most people don't know that hidden all over our woods are snares that trap dogs and wild animals alike, holding them in misery until their death," Howling for Wolves said in a statement earlier this year.

"Our woods are just not safe. These barbaric and unselective wire nooses catch and maim whoever walks by. Banning snaring would be a step to reduce assaults on wildlife and pets."
The group, formed in 2012 by Dr. Maureen Hackett, aims to educate the public about wolves and "ensure the wolf's long-term survival." Howling for Wolves has since advocated for federal protections for gray wolves and has opposed wolf trapping and hunting.
This month, Hackett answered several questions about the group, why it feels so strongly about protecting wolves, what non-lethal methods work in setting up boundaries and what it hopes readers will understand about the animal.

Question: Why was Howling for Wolves started? :scratch:

Hackett: Howling for Wolves was started to essentially try to stop what we consider a reckless and rushed wolf hunt as soon as they were delisted (from the Endangered Species Act).
Q: What do you hope to accomplish in bringing awareness to protecting wolves in Minnesota and the U.S.?

Hackett: We want people to understand the wolf as a species—a social, magnificent animal—and also to understand the whole reason the wolf was wiped out was very much part of our DNA as a country.

Q: What has worked and what hasn't worked for controlling wolf populations in a responsible manner in Minnesota?

Hackett: So when you say controlling wolf populations, I'm trying to figure out: Do you mean that you feel like mankind needs to decide we need a certain number of wolves and after that we have too many?

Q: Maybe the better question is, should we be controlling those populations?

Hackett: First off, mankind has never known how to manage any wild animals or plants ... with good success. If you've noticed, we have pretty much messed up almost everything. In terms of controlling, we have no idea which wolf out there ... has the genes to help the population survive from illnesses. ... What is the problem with just letting wolves live and just taking prevention methods and dealing with conflicts both by prevention and as they arise?

Q: What are some examples of prevention methods that have worked in Minnesota or elsewhere?

Hackett: There are several methods that have shown that non-lethal methods ... are cheaper in the long run and are more effective. ... What has worked is human presence, animal husbandry techniques—such as bunching the animals at night or for feeding or especially when they are giving birth—removing attractions such as carcasses and guard animals, such as donkeys and guard dogs
Q: This subject elicits strong emotions on both side. Why do you think that is?

Hackett: I think the issue of wolves goes back to fairy tales. ... There are many, many forces that want to annihilate the wolf, and I think it is competition for land. There is a false understanding, thinking that somehow they are dispensable or disposable. ... I think it is not understood how important their role is. As a species, they are very successful, and I think mankind doesn't like it when there is a species that is wild and appears not to be under mankind's control.

Q: How has the culture and understanding of wolves changed over the years, and where is it heading as far as the culture of protecting wolves versus controlling wolf populations?

Hackett: Controlling populations is just another euphemism for killing. ... I think most of the public has been confused by this word "control" and thinking we have to control the population. I really think that has been an effort to get people to accept wolf killing as necessary when it has not been.

Q: Is there anything else you would like to add?

Hackett: I think what people need to understand is we owe the wolf a great debt. We tortured the wolf. We annihilated the wolf. We totally wiped out the wolf. As soon as they came back, we killed them again, instead of just understanding that we, as human species, have acquired so much from the wolf. ... We have a lot in common with the wolf.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 04/19/18, 09:10:41 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i'll be honest i didnt read the whole thing Lee posted. it instantly turned me off with the howlin for wolves.

my opinion here is i hear on the radio ALOT advertisements on the radio to support banning snares, to call your elected officials. personally i really have no opinion on snares, barely know anything about them but from what i read here, the ad on the radio and the fact this is from a tree hugger from the metro area that really has no clue what reality is regarding wolves............. i fully support snare use!!!!!!! :sleazy: :smoking:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
i'll be honest i didnt read the whole thing Lee posted. it instantly turned me off with the howlin for wolves.

my opinion here is i hear on the radio ALOT advertisements on the radio to support banning snares, to call your elected officials. personally i really have no opinion on snares, barely know anything about them but from what i read here, the ad on the radio and the fact this is from a tree hugger from the metro area that really has no clue what reality is regarding wolves............. i fully support snare use!!!!!!! :sleazy: :smoking:

Hey Bro!
  I'm not posting dis cuz I support da article :banghead:

Please don't misinterpret my intentions because I have none.

Don't thro no rocks at da messinger here........... :rotflmao:

« Last Edit: April 04/19/18, 09:36:48 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
not thrown rocks.............i believe i started with ......my opinion!!!!!! :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: i might thorw a few crawlers though!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rolleyes:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Boy she doesn't have a clue about any of the things she talked about. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
put her out in the woods for a few days!!!  she might have new thoughts!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Amen. I'd like to see some of her cost analysis on the non-lethal measures she's advocating as "being cheaper in the long run". The lady is a shrink, not an accountant or a business analyst. Those who know what things actually cost can determine that for themselves rather than just taking her word for it. Guard animals are fine as far as they go but more than one livestock operation has found their guard animals dead and ripped to pieces, apparently overwhelmed by superior numbers. Some can bring their animals up to a yard at night and some can't. There are just too many variables from operation to operation. Dealing with livestock farmers for 37 years, I have yet to find any two that are exactly the same. And yet this is what screwballs like her are trying to accomplish: assume that every operation is the same and come up with nice, neat, tidy one size fits all "solutions" for a situation that's anything but uniform. Banning snares? Perhaps. Traps in general? Just what does she think is going to happen to people's pets or worse kids as the wolf population keeps encroaching on more densely populated areas? It's already happening with pets and our press does its level best to keep much of that from filtering into the news. If it doesn't fit their agenda, you're likely not going to hear much about it.   :thumbs: 
« Last Edit: April 04/19/18, 03:08:02 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
not thrown rocks.............i believe i started with ......my opinion!!!!!! :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: i might thorw a few crawlers though!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rolleyes:

Any crawlers you kin trow my way would be deeply appreciated. Da amount a crawlers I collected so far dis spring is ZERO! Mudder Nature ain't been kind to us old fashion crawler pickers so far dis year. :mad1: By da time day come out to play I'll have ta feed um steroids just ta get dem ta grow.

I Kin just immagine da price fur a flat a crawlers on da market dis year :doah:

Be ready for a shock-aronie when ya hit da bait shop :doah:

Many BWCA Reports

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Velk, by the looks of current conditions I might get able to by July.  There is still snow and frozen ground! :confused: :pouty:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Got your coexist right here lady!  :moon: :moon: :bs: :fudd: :fudd: :green archer:

Hackett: I think what people need to understand is we owe the wolf a great debt.  :puke: :puke: :puke:

« Last Edit: April 04/19/18, 11:01:08 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
And let's drop this "Doctor" title unless she truly works on people. An uncle kinda wanted me to call him Dr. as he had that degree I said only Julius Irving he is dr j like this lady hits a skunk on the road and brings it to the vet not happening. Howling for Wolves if you dug deep is probably a slush fund for her and some friends or relatives as well. Donald T would put the hammer down on Howling. Wonder if Maureen sets any mouse traps ? She better not. Then again in the asphalt jungle its rats probably. One night Maureen woke quickly is that a St.Paul wolf ? She took the elevator downstairs and 45 floors it takes a bit but it was Glenn leaned up against a bicycle rack after eating at Sardine Sams usually fresh cafe. She hit him with a high heel and her phone buzzed, pedicure at 8AM. The wolf should be howlin if he hammers any of the 22 head behind the house. Read cuffs and collars hinckley/Malmö area reports its wolf depredation mentioned 80% of the calendar year as well as many other reports. She's not a doctor, it's a word that starts with a D and rhymes with Yummy but see even a clown can influence decisions. Glenn let's start a Howling for Coyotes slush fund ???? We will pay out over 3% and 97% administrative costs. Non profit no tax deal Glenn cmon like the Obama and Clinton foundation slush funds or John McCains wife's slushy fund operation smile sure a couple get help but the family members have huge salaries, best benefits, quarterly bonuses, many vacation and personal days sick leave no problem cash that out at years end also, that is the truth and why Hillary had to win must win or Donald is gonna pound those people, cmon Glenn !!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Well,I kinda agree with this tree hugger,however I perfer a .243rd thru the melon over a dead calf they killed the night before~~~

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
There's an old phrase that comes to mind..."those that can, do, those that can't, teach".  (Mark Twain)   She's dumber than a home-made radio, as my Dad used to say.
She oughtta go back to analyzing personnel at Walmart.

« Last Edit: August 08/17/18, 01:30:40 PM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Lol. Not saying just saying wanted Donald instead of Hillary that was the best they could put out there did we want Bill again ? For 8 years ? Then they were grooming Michelle Obama for after Hillary no thank you. MN like 3% unemployment or what the world did I hear tonight ? Papers full of jobs here Idk lol. But if you have the outdoor news current issue read cuffs and collars Onami CO report its my area of life can't they understand what is what ? My neighbor has lost idk how many cattle and recently it's been worse. Figure idk a grand a cow I have no idea but lost 9 this spring etc. These guys should be able to protect their herd and not feel like they're breaking this major law etc. Every grand helps a lot there's so much equipment involved in raising cattle when it comes to haying etc fuel its not exactly lucrative these guys have other jobs as well idk read that Onamia clip from Thursday's outdoor news.

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Better yet here it is word for word. CO Dan Starr (Onamia) attended training and took care of equipment maintenance. Assistance was given to the local sheriff's office with a large litter case. A possible deer poaching, trespass, and illegal camping situation also were documented. Starr also consulted with a federal trapper on two separate farms of wolf depredation in which numerous wolves were trapped. This is my back yard basically there's too many wolves around here.

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
That last line was mine, sorry. So when there was a trapping season they way missed on what the wolf quota should have been. In east central mn it was 10 lousy wolves. So a man I know well got a giant one which was the 10th one and that ended the season. 10 was ridiculously low wasn't the NW area way more or idk but the kicker....... Man who got him said when he got 150 yards from that trap he knew he had one. So he took care of that called the # done. In the snow he said there must have been 10-12 other wolves as the entire area was stampeded and yes he did run them off when he was maybe 300 yards he saw something etc movement but 10 quota and in just that one spot there was a dozen. There's tons of em in that east central quota area limit should've been 100 easily. Recall big shot Alaska expert and others oh Hunter's trappers etc be tough to fill those quotas very hard etc the heck it was took no time at all = there were plenty of wolves and still are. Don't hammer all of them no of course not but manage them for what's left of the moose and keep them in check.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
There is plenty of wolves around here too.