Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Report your deer obserervations here.  (Read 4052 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I would like to get a feel for what you are seeing this year regarding adult does and fawns.  For some reason I think there are a lot less fawns than last year.  Last year I observed that the does averaged 1.5 fawns meaning if you saw 2 does, you probably would see 3 fawns.  This year it appears to be a lot less.  For every two does I would see only 1 fawn.  Lots of "dry" does.  Winter was fine so I suspect some other force involved here.  Possibly Bears, Coyote, or perhaps wolves. Maybe a number of the does without fawns were fawns last year that did not get bred. Don't get me wrong, due to the abundance of fawns last year, there are plenty deer, just not as many fawns as I would expect. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Most of the does I get on camera, have twins.
I got one set, that lost mama to a vehicle crash.
They're always hanging out by the barn. So, they have been getting fed.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seeing fawns around here to Little Falls area and many road killed ones too.. 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i think you shot most of bbig bucks deadeye. doe's aint got enough studs. ;)
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so anyone thats been out in the woods since 2 weeks ago, seen any activity picking up as far as the rut goes?????? i did not see much the weekend of the 20th.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I've been out three days on each of the past two weekends.  I still see about one fawn for every two does.  Not sure why there aren't more fawns but there are plenty does.  I will just report what we saw last Thurs Fri and Sat.  We saw 8 bucks, 3 or 4 we probably would have shot given the opportunity.  New scrapes were just starting to appear as the older one were covered with leaves.  We saw three bucks wracking the bushes with their antlers and watched two make a scrape.  No real chasing yet but they are poking around.  Watched a nubbin challenge a fork horn in front of two does.  The buck had no interest in the does.  My guess is the chase is late this year and should be in full swing by the weekend.  A neighbor shot a nice 8pt on Saturday. It wasn't chasing but was following a couple does.  I saw on buck behind 3-4 does.  Good Luck.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I've been out three days on each of the past two weekends.  I still see about one fawn for every two does.  Not sure why there aren't more fawns but there are plenty does.  I will just report what we saw last Thurs Fri and Sat.  We saw 8 bucks, 3 or 4 we probably would have shot given the opportunity.  New scrapes were just starting to appear as the older one were covered with leaves.  We saw three bucks wracking the bushes with their antlers and watched two make a scrape.  No real chasing yet but they are poking around.  Watched a nubbin challenge a fork horn in front of two does.  The buck had no interest in the does.  My guess is the chase is late this year and should be in full swing by the weekend.  A neighbor shot a nice 8pt on Saturday. It wasn't chasing but was following a couple does.  I saw on buck behind 3-4 does.  Good Luck.
:happy1: :happy1: thanks deadeye!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got a lot of nice bucks on camera, along with a bunch of does and fawns...... it should be a good year....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I still see an alarming drop in the number of fawns.  Still plenty deer but lots of dry does.  Don't know what happened to the fawns, maybe bear ate a lot of them....

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I've seen ( on camera) bears, coyotes and even bobcats take down fawns.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Do you mean one of these.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
My cameras in Hubbard Co. were showing a fair amount of fawns all summer. Had two does behind the barn and both had twins, several sets of twins and some singles on the property a mile away. Had a bear earlier this spring, haven't seen him since early June. Gots coyotes.

mm

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been seeing mostly twins with maybe every other doe with a single up this way.  I started scrapes progress thru the week last week. when i hunted Tuesday last week there was a small scrape along the logging trail on Friday that one was about 2 feet in diameter and then there was a 2nd one about a 100 yards down the trail about the same size.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have a doe with 2 fawns that are really looking good and healthy here.  Plus saw a 7 pt buck on the cam the other day.  Along with the big coyote that is still hanging around.  And a fox. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i signed up for DNR emails. i get the CO reports.same ones Lee posts. i pay particular attention to the grand rapids area and st cloud area.

in the rapids area reports, 3 of the 4 wardens reports where regarding baiting. :bonk: :bonk: i CANNOT believe with the emphasis they have put on the deer baiting issue people still do this to the extent this is being reported. it is unbelievable. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Tuesday October 30 report. 
Many scrapes and rubs. Things are really heating up.  Saw a lone doe from the stand but that's been fairly normal this year.
Also, lots of daylight buck pictures on the trail cameras