Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What next?!  (Read 242389 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
That's too bad.  They eat lots of squitos too.

I'd see many of them at dusk come out while sitting out on the deck, and they'll continually be swooping overhead. Haven't seen that the last two years here.  :undecided:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Bats have lived above the attic and under the soffit at our house since we moved there 35 years ago. They even found a way back in when we remodeled a decade or so back. About dusk every night during the summer you could hear them squeaking & scratching around ready to come out. There was a bunch of them. Heard and saw only one bat one night this past summer. Sad deal.   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Bats have lived above the attic and under the soffit at our house since we moved there 35 years ago. They even found a way back in when we remodeled a decade or so back. About dusk every night during the summer you could hear them squeaking & scratching around ready to come out. There was a bunch of them. Heard and saw only one bat one night this past summer. Sad deal.

Sure it wasn't smurfs heading out for beer?  :confused:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: January 01/10/20, 03:32:02 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Then they need to buy a modern low water toilet.   The ones I have flush just fine... :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Then they need to buy a modern low water toilet.   The ones I have flush just fine... :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

Just sayin'...Guys that did the sewers here said those are the worst things there are. Not enough water to flush it out lines far enough, can clog things up. Sure they know what they're talking about; they get to see it up close every day.  :puke: People that come up with these great ideas and design things never see the final outcomes. Just like the geniuses that designed and built that certain engine with aluminum blocks, steel heads, and lousy cooling systems, and put it in recycled metal bodies. Lightweight! Saves gas! Uses less power! Until the thing rusted out 3 weeks later, if the engine didn't warp and blow first. Ever see a Chebby Vega  around?
« Last Edit: January 01/13/20, 07:39:46 AM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I've got 2 of those low water flush toilets. think they use 3 gals of water and never had an issue. had them for 15 years. the claim is you can flush 20 golf balls...…… however i'm not trying that.

just saying...… I got them for 2 reasons......saves on water and they are a handicap type stool, easier on us old folks!!! man you sure can tell the difference.

we also put them in the union hall bout 5 years ago and no issues there either and when the apprentices are there, there's a lot of flushing.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought smurfs sat on hollow stumps?  Yer buddy Trump says flush away!  :confused:
Make yer own low flush by putting 2 bricks in tank to displace water.
« Last Edit: January 01/13/20, 08:16:29 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Now you can watch the action up close...... :rolleyes:

https://youtu.be/MM5YagKtjuE

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Minnesota court rejects two major permits for PolyMet mine

January 13, 2020

Associated Press
MINNESOTA NEWS
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- The Minnesota Court of Appeals has rejected two of the most important permits for the planned PolyMet copper-nickel mine in northeastern Minnesota in a major victory for environmentalists.

A three-judge panel ruled Monday that the state Department of Natural Resources erred when it declined to order a proceeding known as a "contested case hearing" to gather more information on the potential environmental impacts of the project.

So the court sent the dispute back to the DNR with orders to conduct the hearing. At issue were PolyMet's permit to mine and its dam safety permits.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Minnesota court rejects two major permits for PolyMet mine

January 13, 2020

Associated Press
MINNESOTA NEWS
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- The Minnesota Court of Appeals has rejected two of the most important permits for the planned PolyMet copper-nickel mine in northeastern Minnesota in a major victory for environmentalists.

A three-judge panel ruled Monday that the state Department of Natural Resources erred when it declined to order a proceeding known as a "contested case hearing" to gather more information on the potential environmental impacts of the project.

So the court sent the dispute back to the DNR with orders to conduct the hearing. At issue were PolyMet's permit to mine and its dam safety permits.

There isn't an issue facing the state that has me more conflicted.

On one hand, I know what the jobs mean to the region.  On the other hand, I've seen how some big companies do the minimum to protect the environment.  Further, laws and rules in place now to protect the environment can be relaxed later.  I'd be just sick if there was some sort of environmental accident that adversely affected the BWCA.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
And once it happens, you can't ever take it back or change it.......I have to side with the environs on this one. Sometimes you just have to leave certain things alone.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well that sucks..................................

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I wonder when they are going to make US Steel clean up that tailings pond that has been spewing sulfate into the ground and Lake Vermilion (via the Dark River, as I recall) for years at levels far above what their permit allows.   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I wonder when they are going to make US Steel clean up that tailings pond that has been spewing sulfate into the ground and Lake Vermilion (via the Dark River, as I recall) for years at levels far above what their permit allows.   
I don't know, you tell us???

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't know, you tell us???

My guess is never.  Too busy with the new guys to deal with the old guys. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Just the enviros being a pain. Doesn't matter they are going to fight it no matter what. All the while playing on their smart phones. To me they are just hipocrits. One thing to try and protect the environment. Another thing to just fight everything.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's cuz they're too busy fighting for all the just causes they manage to make up.
Only one I'm really against is all the Frac sand mining. Big River magazine that I subscribe to has monthly excellent articles and in depth reports on that.....and I'm behind 'em all the way. Fracking creates some huge, nasty issues. That's why the big ones (Frac companies) finally pulled out of  this area. (One anyway)

https://www.bigrivermagazine.com/fracsand.pdf
« Last Edit: January 01/14/20, 10:31:07 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
hey reb you old fart(me too) yes I remember the vega issue,I thought it was aluminum block and steel bolts that f'd that engine,and remember the 1st energy crunch,gas shortages and such,then GM converted the gas 350 V-8 eng to diesel that was a turd....Now all the gm engines are alum blocks to handle ethanol so far so good I think?

Just sayin'...Guys that did the sewers here said those are the worst things there are. Not enough water to flush it out lines far enough, can clog things up. Sure they know what they're talking about; they get to see it up close every day.  :puke: People that come up with these great ideas and design things never see the final outcomes. Just like the geniuses that designed and built that certain engine with aluminum blocks, steel heads, and lousy cooling systems, and put it in recycled metal bodies. Lightweight! Saves gas! Uses less power! Until the thing rusted out 3 weeks later, if the engine didn't warp and blow first. Ever see a Chebby Vega  around?

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
The line I heard about Vegas was that they were made of compressed rust.   

As for sewers, if you run the dishwasher, shower, run the washing machine, flush occasionally when urinating, seems unlikely to cause a problem.  Oh and get plenty of fiber. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Better ask Norton to confirm that................... ;)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Minnesotans are drinking water contaminated by nitrates

January 14, 2020

Associated Press
MINNESOTA NEWS

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Years of unchecked agricultural pollution has led Minnesotans to drink tap water contaminated with unsafe levels of nitrate, a chemical linked to different types of cancer and other serious health problems.

According to the Star Tribune, an environmental group says Minnesota is on "the brink of a public health crisis."

As a result, Minnesota is implementing the Groundwater Protection Rule.

It prohibits applying commercial nitrogen fertilizer in drinking water supply management areas that already have elevated nitrate levels.

The rule also establishes a new enforcement program encouraging farmers to adopt greener and safer practices.

:rolleyes:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Snowplow drivers set to strike Wednesday in St. Louis County/Duluth

January 14, 2020

Associated Press
MINNESOTA NEWS

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) -- Union snowplow drivers in Duluth are set to strike Wednesday in northeastern Minnesota's St. Louis County as snow moves into the area.

Teamsters Local 320 posted on Facebook that union negotiators and members decided to engage in a county-wide work stoppage.

The local's chief negotiator posted that the strike will begin at 7 a.m. Wednesday. Union members voted overwhelmingly on Saturday to reject the county's final contract offer.

The drivers could have gone on strike as early as Tuesday. County officials have a contingency plan to keep roads plowed.

The union plans mobile pickets to follow Public Works vehicles that aren't driven by Teamsters.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I wonder if smurfy will cross the picket line...

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I wonder if smurfy will cross the picket line...
nope!!! :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: not a chance. :happy1: