Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: sturgeon brine  (Read 3514 times)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
im fortunate to have been given some sturgeon to smoke, its awsome stuff, would anyone have a good fih brine??
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Do the regular catfish brine that is brown sugar and salt then rinse the next day and smoke it.  Pretty much Pops brine mixture.. That is what I always did with catfish sides and it was great!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
my nord smoking brine is simply 2 qts water, 1 cup pickling salt, 1 cup white sugar. I then add worchestire sauce, and soy sauce to darken the water color. I usually throw in garlic powder and anything else that trips my trigger outta da seasoning shelf.

hope it helps!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

that's enough brine to smome 8 slabs of 2-3 lb pike!!!!!!!

oh yea I like setting in brine 24 hours give or take an hour.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That sounds great Glenn!  And add anything to that you want.  Like your peppers

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
thanks guys i shouldnthought of pops brine how much whore sauce and oy sauce glenn
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: whore sauce!! :rotflmao: I don't measure, but not alot, just enough to darken the water, then I add the soy sauce to make it look more dark. If I had to guess it be about 3/4 cup whore sauce and 1 1/2 cup soy.

I never used pops brine so I can't speak for that.

I also rinse the fish off before smomin!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting that Glenn and Boar both know what whore sauce and oy sauce are.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that's no surprise!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting that Glenn and Boar both know what whore sauce and oy sauce are.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:pouty: :pouty: :tut: like i told ya before i gradumacated wit honers at boaranzr university. :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao:

by the way LPS, these seminars your wife goes to? they titled..........how to put up with a retired auld phart while your still working?????? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :scratch: :evil: :shocked:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
What to brine 50-60 year old meat in?    :scratch:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 09/21/18, 09:54:37 AM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Good one Leech.

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hey everyone,
Been a while since I've posted but this one piqued my interest.  I will be on the Rainy this weekend for the last few days of the season.  I usually don't get a tag, but a few in our party do.  From what I've tasted of their creations, it's always been disappointing. Maybe they're not doing it right.  I keep hearing it's an awesome smoked fish, but everything I've been given has been OK at best.

Interested to know how it turns out for you, Boar... Maybe it's time I keep one and just try it myself. Not sure if it's the reverence for a fish that's older than me or the fact that it's been sucking paper mill wastewater and farm drainage for 40 years, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to kill one. Perhaps your experience will make me a changed man, please document your process!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
it is a great smoked fish I think...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
it is a great smoked fish I think...

It certainly has a high reputation and price to go with it.   Although that possibly is due to it being a byproduct of caviar production, another thing that I have eaten, yes the real deal beluga stuff, and didn't quite get what the fuss was all about.   It was good but not THAT good.     200/oz for caviar and 80 bucks a pound for smoked sturgeon...
http://www.murrayssturgeon.com/ShowMenu.tpl?cart=1537805140703977

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ive had it before, its really really good. i just got done with mine and turned out  great.  do not steak it out fillet it li ike a regualr fish, spine is toxic.
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ive had it before, its really really good. i just got done with mine and turned out  great.  do not steak it out fillet it li ike a regualr fish, spine is toxic.
its Ok to wait a bit buddy, to send mine so its colder out!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: