Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bear Story - this time I had my bow  (Read 5882 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After not seeing a bear from my "bear" blind on Tuesday evening, I decided to go deer hunting this morning.  At 7:30 I was sitting with my eyes closed (not sleeping) when I heard a close noise.  I looked to my right and there was a bear about 20 feet from my stand.  He walked towards the ladder sniffing the ground (following my train in) right up to the ladder where he proceeded to sniff the steps one at a time until he was looking up at me.  I guess he figured no sense going up the tree so he walked about 15 feet away and sat down on his rump.  I picked up my bow and drew back but the angle was so steep the bow hit the rail in front of me.  I had to lean over to get the bow to clear the shooting rail on the stand.  I shot him just below the left front leg which I later could see was not the best place to shoot a sitting bear.  He jumped up and ran away breaking off the arrow that was protruding out his side.  At this time I could see it was too far back.  I waited for half an hour and then, with handgun drawn, looked for sign.  I found my arrow and some blood but only for a short distance.  I probable went 30-35 yards when I decided I would probably need help.  Visibility was very poor with all the under brush and high ferns.  My brother arrived around 10 and we proceeded to search the most probable routes.  After circling for an hour we had not seen a single sign.  I circled back towards the stand because I was sure I had seen some brush move after I couldn't see the bear running.  This time I didn't take the easy route, but rather walked up to a waist high deadfall and there he was dead as a door nail.  I could see the stand from where he lay.  The arrow had gone in the middle of his belly and traveled down (remember he was sitting on his butt) into his right rear leg cutting an artery.  He bled out internally in a very short time. 

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Awesome!! Nice going deadeye!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
wow!!!! nice job and an awsome bear!! great job brother. great job.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So deadeye any plans for the hide? Any specific plans for the meat??

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Wow,  he looks bigger than you.  What did he weight?
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Heck of a nice bear Deadeye! Congrats!!! Yah, what did he weigh?
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
great bear Deadeye!!!! congrats!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Great story.  Congrats!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
He looks bigger than me because he was bigger than me.  lol.  This one weighed 250 pounds.  There are two smaller bears (around 125 pounds) and one bigger bear (no guesstimate as to what it would weigh) that I know of.  I also have to check some pictures I got Tuesday night as they may be of a sow and cub.  I took the bear to a processor and will have it cut to steaks, chops roasts and burger.  No plans for the hide at this time.  They will save it for me.   There was no dragging this bear.  My brother and I couldn't move it more than a foot at a time.  Fortunately I was able to get right to it with the wheeler. You can see from this picture just how dense the brush and under growth is.  This is why I was somewhat, ok, a lot afraid to go after it.  Some places I could see only 10 feet.  I had my Glock locked and loaded but now I am not sure if it would have done any good.  It just made me feel a little bolder. 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
awsom!!! yull love the meat. I always track with a shot gun and double 00 buckshot. the shredder as I call it.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
dem bears like that thick stuff!!!!!!!! :happy1:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Great hunt.  Cool outcome.  Congrats.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ha Ha what a great hunt DE.  Thanks for the pics and story. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Great story and bear!  :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cool pics.   Which stand were you in?  See any deer?

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I was in the one you saw the big buck from.  North of the beaver pond.  I see a lot of deer on the field by the shed and near the cabin.  I only deer hunted for half an hour so far but I did not see a deer.   :rotflmao:

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I like that stand.  Comfy and I've seen many different critters there.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yes, I know.  For some reason a lot of different animals show up there.  I was all fired up yesterday to see what was on the card but alas, I had forgotten to turn it on.  I did see that something, probably a bear, has pushed the camera around to the side of the tree.  I also wanted to see if the bear I shot had followed me across the trestle bridge but the batteries had died in that camera the day before.  It's become obvious that I need to pay more attention to my game cameras. 

This was taken last week in front of the stand I shot the bear from. 

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

deadeye, I will have to say you have a very nice setup there with all the land and wild life on it.  Something most of us can only dream of.   :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I'd have to second that. You're a lucky man.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
hey deadeye, just thinkin and wondering................with your tresspassing issue can people see these critters from a road? is it possible these trespassors see these animals from the road that for some reason have to " go check it out" so to speak??? that some of these critters venture towards the nearest road? just kinda curious.

i know you said you were off the road a ways, just wondering if its far enough seeing animals like to wander around!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I've been to bis land.  It's over a mile off of the road.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks guys.  I know that I am very lucky to have this land.  I bought the first 320 acres from my uncle back in the early 1990's and have been adding when ever the opportunity arises.  It's been a labor of love over the years.  Planting trees and cutting trees and keeping buckthorn at bay to make the best wildlife habitat.  Like dakids said, it's quite a haul from either direction.  As of last fall there were two (now three) gates along the over two miles long access road from the east so I doubt anyone will be coming in that way.  My new neighbor to the south and east just bought two properties and now has 320 acres. He's a young go getter and really wants to improve the land and deer herd.  The west has always been an issue with unwanted visitors.  It is over a mile from the end of a dirt road to our property.  Mostly field road with only two land owners.  Several weeks ago we put up a gate but didn't lock it because the hay wasn't cut yet.  Turns out the guy changed his mind and will not cut the hay (around 30 acres) this year.  Last week I closed and locked the gate.  I hope it stays that way and no one pulls it down.  This will stop cars and pickups but not ATV's as they can drive through the woods to get around the gate. 
Glenn57, there is absolutely no way to see any of my propety from any road.  My guess is they have gone back to the fields to shine deer for years and would like to continue.  We will see how the gate works out.  I did put a camera on the gate so if someone goes through, I should get a good picture.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Makes sense to me. Just wondered. Back in the day my Gramps told me squirrel hunting to pay attention to the roads,big you see them near the road the woods with be good also. Stands to reason with other animals to.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  Several weeks ago we put up a gate but didn't lock it because the hay wasn't cut yet.  Turns out the guy changed his mind and will not cut the hay (around 30 acres) this year.  Last week I closed and locked the gate.  I hope it stays that way and no one pulls it down.  This will stop cars and pickups but not ATV's as they can drive through the woods to get around the gate. 
Glenn57, there is absolutely no way to see any of my propety from any road.  My guess is they have gone back to the fields to shine deer for years and would like to continue.  We will see how the gate works out.  I did put a camera on the gate so if someone goes through, I should get a good picture.

How did you hide the camera?

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Now if I told you, it wouldn't be a secret anymore.   :rotflmao:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman