Minnesota Outdoorsman - Minnesota Fishing and Hunting Reports

Recent

Author Topic: Gophers  (Read 9018 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 2455
  • Likes Given: 2083
Re: Gophers
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2020, 01:32:01 PM »
We were just discussing this over lunch. The most recent one, Both Gach, the Utah transfer, played his HS ball in Austin MN. Pitino has a long track record of getting MN kids back who initially played somewhere else. Reggie Lynch is an example. Had he kept his pecker in check there's no telling how good MN might've been that year before everything crashed and burned. Not sure just how many were recruited by Pitino first then decided the grass really wasn't greener on the other side of the fence. Some of them didn't contribute once they got back here either so it's a crap shoot.

Scholarships right now I think are a big part of it. For a few years we had scholarships being tied up by underachievers such as Michael Hurt, who was basically recruited as an attempt to get his younger brother Matthew. That backfired & Rat Face from Duke got him. Greenlee left (no biggy) so that freed up more space. The kid transferring from Drake, Robbins, seems typical of what we're seeing lately. Put yourself in his shoes. After a breakout season as a sophomore, would you rather continue to schlep along in the Missouri Valley conference or would you rather move to the Big 10 to a team that's been competitive & have a record of helping big men (think Oturu) develop? Johnson is a grad transfer and they are always welcome additons, especially when they potentially add scoring punch. Guys like that frequently bring maturity and court presence. Now, if they can get Marcus Carr to stick around for a year and have another guard who can step in to spell him so he's not playing 35+ minutes every game, it could be a very interesting season, if it happens.       
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 01:38:57 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
  • Liked: 2453
  • Likes Given: 2073
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2020, 01:37:15 PM »
 :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: i knew i could count on you!!!!!! :happy1: makes sense!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 1595
  • Likes Given: 1679
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2020, 01:42:30 PM »
:happy1: :happy1: :happy1: i knew i could count on you!!!!!! :happy1: makes sense!!!!!!

there are getting help again!!!   good thing ya got us!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :evil:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 2455
  • Likes Given: 2083
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2020, 01:43:21 PM »

The guys on the site listed below usually keep pretty good tabs on all this stuff if you're looking for a little additional light reading...

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2020/6/16/21231714/minnesota-basketball-a-very-strange-offseason-for-richard-pitino-gopher-roster
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
  • Liked: 2453
  • Likes Given: 2073
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2020, 01:45:55 PM »

there are getting help again!!!   good thing ya got us!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :evil:
:crazy: :doofus: you actually know what a basketball looks like?????? :evil: :surrender: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 1595
  • Likes Given: 1679
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2020, 01:52:29 PM »

:crazy: :doofus: you actually know what a basketball looks like?????? :evil: :surrender: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

yup round just like your head!!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 859
  • Likes Given: 5001
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2020, 01:59:43 PM »

yup round just like your head!!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:
:happy1: & another way they're alike, both are pretty much empty except for some warm air. ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon