Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Vikes thread!  (Read 517565 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
hope he takes cousins with him...…… Mayfield in a vikes uniform!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
And Zim too...then I'd like to see Jon Gruden swing over this way!  :happy1:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We all know what happened to Shurmar,  same will be for Steph. He just doesn't seem like a head coach to me. But then again maybe the Kubiak's will eventually take over this team.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I almost hope the Kubiak entity is what the master plan has been. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
hope he takes cousins with him...…… Mayfield in a vikes uniform!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:
  :scratch: Maybe we could do another Herschel type trade & go get Mahomes? :bonk: :scratch: :rolleyes: :doah: ;) :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 01/12/20, 03:59:29 PM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  :scratch: Maybe we could do another Herschel trade & go get Mahomes? :bonk: :scratch: :rolleyes: :doah: ;) :laugh: :laugh:
I'd go get that!! :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
  :scratch: Maybe we could do another Herschel trade & go get Mahomes? :bonk: :scratch: :rolleyes: :doah: ;) :laugh: :laugh:
I'd go get that!! :happy1:
   :bonk: Bet they'd want our entire defense along with all our #1 & #2 picks for the next 5 years. :crazy:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw on Facebook in the Viking thread they speculate that Rhodes, Treadwell, and Griffith wont be back next year.  Griffith is more of a money issue.  Treadwell is a looser and so is Rhodes.  good luck.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I hope they figure a way to keep Griffen. Another one they can't afford to lose is Anthony Harris

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We did this good with Keenum.  Sure didn't need to spend 84 mil and cash strap the team to get the same results we had with Keenum.  Should have kept him and Sloter.  Then we could go buy a big O line and other players as well.  BUT Zim's bullheadedness prevented that from happening.

That is exactly what I have been saying since before they signed Cousins.  :happy1:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Couldn't agree more RH.  That Josh McDaniels that is O coordinator for the Patriots would be a good guy to have as a head coach.  Young and very smart.  I too used to be bothered all week until the next game when we lost.  I don't anymore. (or I try not to)

Josh McDaniels was a disaster as a head coach for the Broncos.  I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.  The only reason he is succeeding is cause he is with the Patriots and no one on the team dares to challenge Belecheck or Brady.  As long as McDaniels keeps those two happy, he'll be fine.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
sounds as though we lost are defensive coordinator to because the couldnt agree on a new contract!!!!!! :pouty:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-need-new-coordinators-with-kevin-stefanski-leaving-george-edwards-let-go/566937602/

:popcorn:

So what is Kubiak's job...?  Vice President of Advising Zim of What Not to Say in Press Conferences?

I'm not one of those guys who thinks we need one of those young, hot shot, innovative offensive coordinators to be our head coach.  Yes, some have had success, but the verdict is still out on many.  If given the choice between having Zim as our head coach and Stefanski, I'd still take Zim.  In general, I think coaches and quarterbacks are given too much blame for failure and too much credit for success.  However, you can always find exceptions. 

It was kinda funny... In Zim's press conference this morning he said he spent an hour talking with Parcells about how to get the team over the hump.  (He prolly should have had the conversation a week or so ago, but that is a different issue.)  And he admitted that he did lots of things different this year.  Reading between the lines he seemed to be saying that he had his player's backs more this year compared to previous seasons when he frequently called players out in news conferences.

Zim is a good coach and I never got the impression the players stopped playing for him.  Further, I won'd say that Zim got out-coached Saturday - the team got out-played - and it certainly wasn't as simple as Zim allowing Stefanski to call more naked bootleg plays for Cousins.  We just got beat.

Just curious - and I'm not trying to flame anyone - but if you could have anyone as a head coach for THIS roster (with next year's offseason moves), who would you guys want?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-need-new-coordinators-with-kevin-stefanski-leaving-george-edwards-let-go/566937602/

So what is Kubiak's job...?  Vice President of Advising Zim of What Not to Say in Press Conferences?

I'm not one of those guys who thinks we need one of those young, hot shot, innovative offensive coordinators to be our head coach.  Yes, some have had success, but the verdict is still out on many.  If given the choice between having Zim as our head coach and Stefanski, I'd still take Zim.  In general, I think coaches and quarterbacks are given too much blame for failure and too much credit for success.  However, you can always find exceptions. 

It was kinda funny... In Zim's press conference this morning he said he spent an hour talking with Parcells about how to get the team over the hump.  (He prolly should have had the conversation a week or so ago, but that is a different issue.)  And he admitted that he did lots of things different this year.  Reading between the lines he seemed to be saying that he had his player's backs more this year compared to previous seasons when he frequently called players out in news conferences.

Zim is a good coach and I never got the impression the players stopped playing for him.  Further, I won'd say that Zim got out-coached Saturday - the team got out-played - and it certainly wasn't as simple as Zim allowing Stefanski to call more naked bootleg plays for Cousins.  We just got beat.

Just curious - and I'm not trying to flame anyone - but if you could have anyone as a head coach for THIS roster (with next year's offseason moves), who would you guys want?
BURNSIE!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

BURNSIE!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Yes! :happy1:

“Let me say something: As long as I’m in this f***ing job, [Bob] Schnelker will be the offensive coach.
There will be no quest—f***ing about that. No f***ing questions about that.
I don’t like to name names after a f***ing, after a f***ing game.
But we can’t be responsible for the blocking, we can’t be responsible for the f***ing guys jumping offside,
we can’t be responsible for fu—we get down there, and it was a dumb play by [Alfred] Anderson.
I love Anderson.
But it was a dumb f***ing play when his shoe was coming off, up to the line of scrimmage, we were hollering to take [a] timeout.
We had a f***ing trap play called, and his f***ing shoe comes off.
That ain’t Bob Schnelker’s fault.
We had another f***ing trap play, and if [Rick] Fenney picks up his f***ing feet, he walks in.
We got the f***ing pass to AC [Anthony Carter] out there in the flat, and that ball’s thrown low.
That ain’t Schnelker’s fault.

But seriously, of today's coaching pool, who would you want?   :confused:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm ok with Zimmer.  I just wish he would let the OC alone.   Why even have a DC when it seems that Zimmer makes most or all of the calls.  I get it.  They need one to work with the players in practice and more.  The last game's play calling was terrible.  I am no football expert but when you keep Cousins in the pocket pretty much all game you will lose.  He is not a good pocket passer with the performance of the OL that day.  Even Cook was running into a brick wall all game.  Didn't take atvantage of our recievers and so on.  Sure Cousins didn't have much time to pass, and that again was the result of our OL play that day.  No QB could win that day with that line.  Also Spielman made a great move getting our center in the draft.  Now he needs more big body's.  We do have a couple others we got in the draft who will step up next season.  Rhodes needs to go period.  Same with Tray Wanes.  I would like to see Kubiak get the OC job.  But would he want it?  I think that is their first choice and then there is Shurmer.    As far as seeing a better head coach right now that's available?  Don't see one.  good luck.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
  1. No phone calls, interviews or anything until the party (coach) in question is done for the season. No exceptions. I believe we would have seen a different game on Saturday if this was in place.
  2. I know he's currently not coaching, BUT I'd like to see Tony Dungy as HC. One of the dumbest things the Vikings ever did wrong was to let him go and keep Dennis Green. My two cents on that. :happy1:
mm

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Please, just run, run, run off to Cleveland! 2 yards at a time!   :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  1. No phone calls, interviews or anything until the party (coach) in question is done for the season. No exceptions. I believe we would have seen a different game on Saturday if this was in place.
  2. I know he's currently not coaching, BUT I'd like to see Tony Dungy as HC. One of the dumbest things the Vikings ever did wrong was to let him go and keep Dennis Green. My two cents on that. :happy1:

:Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

EXACTLY why I followed some of their best players down to Tampa Bay and became a Bucs fanatic for ten years! All the way to division champs in 2002 then 2003 Superbowl champs, whupping the raiders the same year 16 years ago today!!!!!!!!  :happy1:
« Last Edit: January 01/13/20, 12:57:46 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Couldn't agree more RH.  That Josh McDaniels that is O coordinator for the Patriots would be a good guy to have as a head coach.  Young and very smart.  I too used to be bothered all week until the next game when we lost.  I don't anymore. (or I try not to)

Josh McDaniels was a disaster as a head coach for the Broncos.  I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.  The only reason he is succeeding is cause he is with the Patriots and no one on the team dares to challenge Belecheck or Brady.  As long as McDaniels keeps those two happy, he'll be fine.

That's right I forgot about that. 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm ok with Zimmer.  I just wish he would let the OC alone.   Why even have a DC when it seems that Zimmer makes most or all of the calls.  I get it.  They need one to work with the players in practice and more.  The last game's play calling was terrible.  I am no football expert but when you keep Cousins in the pocket pretty much all game you will lose.  He is not a good pocket passer with the performance of the OL that day.  Even Cook was running into a brick wall all game.  Didn't take atvantage of our recievers and so on.  Sure Cousins didn't have much time to pass, and that again was the result of our OL play that day.  No QB could win that day with that line.  Also Spielman made a great move getting our center in the draft.  Now he needs more big body's.  We do have a couple others we got in the draft who will step up next season.  Rhodes needs to go period.  Same with Tray Wanes.  I would like to see Kubiak get the OC job.  But would he want it?  I think that is their first choice and then there is Shurmer.    As far as seeing a better head coach right now that's available?  Don't see one.  good luck.

Yes, from the outside looking in, it seems like Zim can be a meddler.  And I think that is part of what Kubiak does - he tempers Zim.  Zim used to have Tony Sparano to use as a sounding board for all things offense.  Zim was kind of lost from an offensive perspective with DeFilippo the year Sparano died.

Yes, I'd love to have Shurmer back as OC.  There are plenty of examples of OCs who got hired as head coaches, but didn't make it, and are now OCs or offensive consultants again:  Scott Linehan, Brad Childress.  I'm sure there are plenty of others from other teams in the league too.  (Sadly, I just saw an article that says Shurmer is signed as the Bronco's OC.)

In terms of play calling Saturday...  It has to be more complicated than we armchair quarterbacks make it out to be.  I just think our offensive line got out-played and Cousins ain't they kind of guy who can win a game by himself.  And there ain't many QBs in the league who can win games by themselves:  Rodgers, Mahomes, Jackson, Wilson, and maybe Brees.  I don't think I'm missing anyone.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Yes, and when Brad Childress was coach, they also let Mike Tomlin get away - who (as a defensive-minded head coach) had immediate success.
And so as not to let lightning strike three times, they fired Chilly and promoted DC Leslie Frazier to head coach.
Frazier was a good coach and a nice guy, but not the right head coach for the Vikes at the time.
Now Frazier is doing well again as the Bills DC.

Would Jason Garret be better than Zim?
Would you have preferred McCarthy or Rivera?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

EXACTLY why I followed some of their best players down to Tampa Bay and became a Bucs fanatic for ten years! All the way to division champs in 2002 then 2003 Superbowl champs, whupping the raiders the same year 16 years ago today!!!!!!!!  :happy1:
TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I hope they figure a way to keep Griffen. Another one they can't afford to lose is Anthony Harris
:scratch: Griffen's been with the team the longest, is what I read. :confused: He'd like to stay & play 3-4 more years so he can retire as a Viking but knows that might not work out.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ya, and look what happens with 'em  when I come back!!!  Same ol' thing!!   :bonk:  :mooning:

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
 Steve-o. I would have personally love to see Mike McCarthy as Vikings HC. Too bad he went to Dallas.
mm

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Yes, and when Brad Childress was coach, they also let Mike Tomlin get away - who (as a defensive-minded head coach) had immediate success.
And so as not to let lightning strike three times, they fired Chilly and promoted DC Leslie Frazier to head coach.
Frazier was a good coach and a nice guy, but not the right head coach for the Vikes at the time.
Now Frazier is doing well again as the Bills DC.

Would Jason Garret be better than Zim?
Would you have preferred McCarthy or Rivera?

I wondered about them too SO.  I wanted McCarthy. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: January 01/24/20, 10:05:55 AM by HD »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman