Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ask a Conservation Officer  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
  :police: Ask a Conservation Officer:

How do I know if I have the right licenses? :scratch:

Q: I'm pretty new to duck hunting, and I went to a gas station/ELS vendor to by my licenses. I told the clerk to sell me everything I needed for duck hunting. How do I know if I have the right license and privileges? Can online discussion groups help?

A: Unfortunately, this was an excuse that was offered to multiple Conservation Officers during hunter checks on opening weekend of the waterfowl season. Depending on the species of fish or game you are targeting, and the general season or special hunt, there may be different licenses and stamps that are required.

In addition, regulations may vary depending on the location or species which you are targeting. To avoid issues in this area, there is one point to be remembered; it is the responsibility of the hunter or angler to know the requirements and stay within the law.

The gas station attendant, pro angler or employee at a sporting goods store, or someone posting on an online forum has no objective depth of knowledge on what you are required to follow or purchase. :confused: This officer has seen too many instances where bad information is given, either sideways from or directly contrary to what the law says and how it is enforced. :doah:

:coffee: .....
 Consult the Hunting or Fishing regulation synopsis book, the DNR website, or contact your local Conservation Officer to make sure you have the right information to conduct your efforts ethically and legally.
« Last Edit: October 10/08/18, 01:54:50 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Can online discussion groups help?

Na, their full of big headed know-it-alls.  I would just chance it then listen to them!  :doofus:  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: October 10/08/18, 02:53:03 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

Can online discussion groups help?

Na, their full of big headed know-it-alls.  I would just chance it then listen to them!  :doofus:  :rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sad, but true. You have to know more than the person selling the license to get the correct ones.  I encounter ineptitude and ignorance of the license system almost every time I buy one.  I doesn't seem to matter where I go to purchase the permit or license, same story.  I have started bringing in my old license and showing them the correct numbers to put in the system.  I agree, I may have more one offs than most (turkey permit, Individual lifetime sportsman's, doe permits, bear permits, lifetime firearm) so I could be the first one of this kind they see.  With that said, I was impressed and would like to give a shout out to a high school kid at the Hardware Hank store in Big Lake. I ask him for the tooth kit I needed to send in the required teeth from the bear I shot.  Not only did he know what I was talking about, he was able to locate them in the still unopened package.  Wow. I was impressed for sure. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Someone posting on an online forum has no objective depth of knowledge on what you are required to follow or purchase. :confused:

You can say that again...

... wait ... no ... never mind.
 :pouty:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Sad, but true. You have to know more than the person selling the license to get the correct ones.  I encounter ineptitude and ignorance of the license system almost every time I buy one.  I doesn't seem to matter where I go to purchase the permit or license, same story.  I have started bringing in my old license and showing them the correct numbers to put in the system.  I agree, I may have more one offs than most (turkey permit, Individual lifetime sportsman's, doe permits, bear permits, lifetime firearm) so I could be the first one of this kind they see.  With that said, I was impressed and would like to give a shout out to a high school kid at the Hardware Hank store in Big Lake. I ask him for the tooth kit I needed to send in the required teeth from the bear I shot.  Not only did he know what I was talking about, he was able to locate them in the still unopened package.  Wow. I was impressed for sure.
oh how true deadeye!!!!!!!!! its to the point i wont go to a few places because they dont have a clue. kinda like going to fleet farm once in a while.........unless you know extactly what you want........dont pay to ask!!!!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
kinda like going to fleet farm once in a while.........unless you know extactly what you want........dont pay to ask!!!!!

Hey, you leave the little girls at Fleet Farm alone!  :tut:   
Their highly trained professionals at their jobs and have only screwed me a few times over the years. And I liked it!  :sleazy:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
kinda like going to fleet farm once in a while.........unless you know extactly what you want........dont pay to ask!!!!!

Hey, you leave the little girls at Fleet Farm alone!  :tut:   
Their highly trained professionals at their jobs and have only screwed me a few times over the years. And I liked it!  :sleazy:
what little girls. Not the one I go to. :crazy: