Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Moe.. zebra mussels found  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
:police: .....DNR says invasive zebra mussels found in Minneapolis’ Bde Maka Ska  :scratch: (How you say dat?)

Today at 9:37 a.m.

:coffee: 
MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has confirmed the presence of invasive zebra mussels in Bde Maka Ska (formerly Lake Calhoun) in the Minneapolis Chain of Lakes. :banghead:

:police: ....
The DNR announced Monday that the mussels were found by a Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board watercraft inspector who was checking a sailboat as it was being removed from the lake for the season.

Because the sailboat had been moored in Bde Maka Ska for an extended period and because the mussels were young, the DNR concluded there was in-lake reproduction.
DNR staff conducted a dive search in the lake access and mooring areas but found no additional mussels. :confused: The Park and Recreation Board is planning to search further.

In September 2017, the DNR confirmed the presence of zebra mussels in Lake Harriet, immediately south of Bde Maka Ska.
Zebra mussels can compete with native species for food and habitat, cut the feet of swimmers, reduce the performance of boat motors and cause damage to water intake pipes. :tut:

:Photography:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 10/09/18, 08:32:08 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

See they should have never changed the name!   :tut:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
No they should not have. But what do you expect from leftyville. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Exactly what I thought Leech.  It has only been the whatever new name for a few months and the lake has already gone to heck with invasives. 

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
DNR says invasive zebra mussels found in Minneapolis’ Bde Maka Ska

I don't know what Bde Maka Ska is, so I don't care.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

me either, but was formerly called lake Calhoun!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

me either, but was formerly called lake Calhoun!!!!!!!

The might just as well have renamed it

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 :rocker;  And Da Beat Goes On!  :angry2:

:popcorn: ...
 Zebra mussels discovered in another Otter Tail County lake

By Forum News Service Today at 2:09 p.m.

ST. PAUL -- Zebra mussels have been confirmed in Walker Lake near Ottertail, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources said Thursday, Oct. 11.

The lake is connected to Otter Tail Lake, which also was confirmed to contain zebra mussels in 2016.

The DNR said a a lake property owner contacted them after finding five adult zebra mussels on an irrigation intake while removing it for the season. DNR invasive species staff found more zebra mussels on other equipment in the same area of the lake and where Walker Lake outlets into Otter Tail Lake.

“New zebra mussel populations are often discovered in the fall,” DNR Invasive Species Unit Supervisor Heidi Wolf said a statement. “It’s important to carefully check docks, boat lifts and other equipment being removed for the season and to contact the DNR if you think you’ve found an invasive species.”

Minnesota law requires keeping docks and lifts out of the water for at least 21 days before putting them into another body of water.
« Last Edit: October 10/11/18, 05:54:46 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again