Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: CWD Map  (Read 8413 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
This is the latest map from the USGS.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very interesting HD.  I didn't know they had an issue in Canada.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
https://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/chronic-wasting-disease-is-gaining-traction/article_4cc1a594-eba5-11e8-b4f8-2facce3e38ae.html

On a more detailed level, looks like the disease has escaped containment.   Six more cases....   
Thanks, Deer Farmers....
--------------------
Chronic wasting disease 'is gaining traction'
By JOHN ENGER Minnesota Public Radio  Nov 18, 2018 Updated Nov 19, 2018 

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources says chronic wasting disease seems to be spreading along river corridors, where deer can easily travel.

Early testing confirmed four more cases of chronic wasting disease this hunting season. And in just the last few days, two more deer tested positive in a preliminary screening.

Hunters in southeastern Minnesota have killed half a dozen chronic wasting disease infected deer this fall.

Until this hunting season, there were only 17 confirmed cases of CWD in Minnesota’s wild deer herds. They were concentrated within a five-mile radius between Preston and Lanesboro.

Michelle Carstensen leads CWD management for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. She says, one of those animals was shot several miles outside the known infection area.

“We have solid evidence that this disease is persisting,” she said. “And we appear to have some spread to the northwest. This disease is gaining traction.”

The DNR established a CWD management zone two years ago. Now, Carstensen says, it will have to be enlarged.

“Our boundaries are going to change,” she said. “We set up that first zone based on the information we had.”

And she said, more cases are likely. Deer hunting season closed Sunday across much of the state, but hunters in southeastern Minnesota have until Nov. 25.

More cases of CWD are never good news, she said, but she has been able to mine the testing data for insights into how the disease is spread. All the infected deer were strong, mature bucks, looking for mates.

The buck that was shot outside of the management zone, appeared to be traveling along the Root River.

She says, CWD seems to be spreading along river corridors, where deer can easily travel.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
https://www.kaaltv.com/news/chronic-wasting-disease-cwd-detected-crow-wing-county-farm-deer-latest/5139766/
ok guys..........quit rippin on deer farms...................how else is boar gonna get his venny for his snasage chaleneg!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Be interesting to see how this all washes out in a couple years...
« Last Edit: November 11/20/18, 01:42:57 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Be interesting to see how this all washes out in a couple years...

Just look at Sconny.   Dane county and surrounding.   
It got loose there a good while before here.   

"CWD prevalence has also changed over time. Since 2002, CWD prevalence within our western monitoring area has shown an overall increasing trend in all sex and age classes. During the past 16 years, the trend in prevalence in adult males has risen from 8-10 percent close to 35 percent and in adult females from about 3-4 percent to over 15 percent. During that same time, the prevalence trend in yearling males has increased from about 2 percent to over 10 percent and in yearling females from roughly 2 percent to about 10 percent."

« Last Edit: November 11/20/18, 05:22:38 PM by delcecchi »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Zebra mussels on land.............

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
graph

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

May be it's a sexually transmitted disease?  :confused:  But all those Males thou?   :scratch:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm pretty sure it's the females fault.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
They always entice the guys, then blame us.... :angry:

click pic

« Last Edit: November 11/20/18, 06:09:21 PM by Rebel SS »

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

click pic

Or may be there are just a lot of silly boy deer in the woods?  :scratch:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

click pic

Or may be there are just a lot of silly boy deer in the woods?  :scratch:
'

A smurf horsie!   :shocked:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
https://www.kaaltv.com/news/chronic-wasting-disease-cwd-detected-crow-wing-county-farm-deer-latest/5139766/
ok guys..........quit rippin on deer farms...................how else is boar gonna get his venny for his snasage chaleneg!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

As it has been for years now, every single CWD case in MN can be traced to a DEER FARM. For all practical purposses there are NO controlls on the farms.  DNR says it's the Dept of AG and the Dept of Ag's misssion is to promote all types of agriculture so, you figure it out.   :pouty:

If they ban all deer farms in MN, Boar can shoot one on my property.  :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
U.S. House passed a bill to de-list the wolf last Friday. Hopefully some of us can be fitted for a wolf hat next fall. Kinda like Mad Jack. Keep your fingers crossed and call your senator.
mm

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
U.S. House passed a bill to de-list the wolf last Friday. Hopefully some of us can be fitted for a wolf hat next fall. Kinda like Mad Jack. Keep your fingers crossed and call your senator.

That would be great but I'm not holding my breath. Some wacked PETA or Wolvey group will get some Tree hugger Judge to put a restraining order on it until more study can take place.

Bets $$$    :coffee:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
 We could update the fox hat commercial.....     Wear the wolf hat....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Here Del...

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I always figured delbert for more of a rasta-type... :rotflmao:

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
                                     :smoking:         :deer:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
https://www.kaaltv.com/news/minnesota-deer-chronic-wasting-disease-cwd-special-hunt-latest/5191115/?cat=10151

Wow, that Great!  420 deer out of trouble and more to come. I can't wait for the results from this wonderful culling the DNR had done for herd improvement.   :coffee:

We should start a poll on how many of the culled Deer had CWD.  My guess is 0.1.   :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup, isn't it great? Just like this stupid city cutting down the thousands and thousands of ash trees so they don't get Ash borer disease................maybe we should cull politicians the same way too.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I guess we can wait until half the deer are sick, and all the ash trees are dead.    Then we can give leech and reb a saw and a shotgun.   

Leech, you from Scony?  That was their solution to CWD.  Don't do anything, it's not that bad.   Hey our deer farmer consultant from Texas said it has always been around.... 

Ooops.

And those ash trees in the neighbor's yard were looking pretty bad before they got condemned.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
You see the article last week by Doug Cornyea that raised a big stink with the CAWchester city folk? He's the Horticultirst that said a lot of the trees in the city could have been saved, by proper treatment, instead of by cutting them all down. I agree. They took out both my neighbors, and I saw no evidence of emerald borer on them, and neither did my buddy, Pat Clark, of Powell & Clark tree Service. Certified Arborists. All for money. One guy taking them out told me, "and don't tell anyone I told ya this" "City pays us a flat $500 per tree to just take them". It's called graft. But, that's another story. Back on track please, to the deer.
Shoot 'em all, then ya ain't got no worries.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: :scratch: so are the deer from the deer farm this CWD came from, are those deer eradicated??? If not why not. It's the source of the problem! :crazy:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
They seem to THINK it originated in deer farms. How can they ever say for sure? Therein lies the problem, IMO.

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I guess we can wait until half the deer are sick, and all the ash trees are dead.    Then we can give leech and reb a saw and a shotgun.   

Leech, you from Scony?  That was their solution to CWD.  Don't do anything, it's not that bad.   Hey our deer farmer consultant from Texas said it has always been around.... 

Ooops.

And those ash trees in the neighbor's yard were looking pretty bad before they got condemned.   

So your saying half the Deer in Wisconsin are sick or dying or are you just talking out your ars again? Get rid of the Deer farms I really don't care just stop wiping out 100's of animals without proof that this has not always been around.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Kinda like shoot all the mammals with rabies. Where did that start? Been around a long time. It killed old Yeller....and Atticus shot one in the street....."Lookout Maw; it's done got the hydrophoby"...
Sure glad they don't use this mentality on people with hepatitis, AIDS, Cancer.......

As stated by the gubmint:

Where and How Did CWD Originate? The origin of CWD is unknown, and it may never be possible to definitively determine how or when CWD arose. It was first recognized as a syndrome in captive mule deer held in wildlife research facilities in Colorado in the late 1960s, but it was not identified as a TSE until the 1970s.
« Last Edit: December 12/27/18, 07:46:49 AM by Rebel SS »