Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Oooooh crap  (Read 3308 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Ever have one of those moments when you say to yourself? Self,you are f***ed now.  I did!!!

Morning started out bad.  Toaster didn't work. Burned eggs.  Bacon over done.  Should have went back to bed, but I had beaver traps to  check.   I get to my 1st trap and it looks like a  bomb went off.  Fur and blood everywhere.  Bear ate well.  Good thing I use cable to anchor my traps. 
     At my next trap I have a very small (5 pound) beaver.   I decide that I was pulling all my traps from this pond, didn't want to feed the bear anymore and it's way off the beaten path.  I grab the last set 330 after putting the safety clip on it. Put the safety hooks on both springs. Remove safety clip and put into my pocket.  Start wrapping the trap up and BANG.  One of the safety hooks pops off and the spring fires the trap and I have BOTH hands caught in the trap!  crap, fudge, son of a bisket.  I'M f***ED NOW!!! A mile from the road.  Fingers are throbbing.  Can't start my ATV, call for help, or take a picture.  I put one end of the spring against a log and manage to compress the spring with my knee enough to slip the one hand out.  After that I got the trap setter and one handed it against the ground to free the other hand.  Talk about pain.  No broken fingers and only a little blood above one fingernail.   After 15 min I have regained feelings in both hands.  I inspect trap safety to see what happened.  The j hook looked more like an L. 
    The day had to get better.  I'm on vacation.  At the next beaver lodge that was run down and only had a small feed pile. I connected with a huge reddish 65 pound male!  Ended the day with 7 beaver, no broken  bones, and a view from a tree stand.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I few pictures before battery died.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
super ouch!!!!  but glad ya got your self out and ended up with a better day!!!!  dang!!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Well, all you can do now is sit back and laugh at it-with the rest of us!  :rotflmao:    Ouch  :doah:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Holy crap is right!  Both hands no less that must take quite an effort.  Maybe it's a good idea to keep one hand in your pocket to prevent this.  Sorry about the bear eating the fruits of your hard labor.  Hope the fingers still work enough to shoot a big bucks this weekend. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Learned a lesson.  I need to inspect traps better, and have one hand in a locket. I checked all the other traps and 1 other safety needs more bend.  It's easy to laugh at myself now,  not so much then.

Trigger finger is getting itchy.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Sure hope your fingers are ok. Bet you here sore tomorrow!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
ok if it bent that easy will it do it again or can it be replaced???   never trapper so I do not know...  just glad you are good to go!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
ok if it bent that easy will it do it again or can it be replaced???   never trapper so I do not know...  just glad you are good to go!!!

I bought 6 traps from a friend before he went into a nursing home.  He will have a laugh when I tell him. Older traps so I don't know how they got bent.  Grip isn't good enough to bend them back yet. 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
jeez jerr glad nuthing is broke. congrates on the 65lb that huge, bigger than my dog!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
from  :doah: & :mad1:  to  :bonk: :rolleyes: ;D glad :happy1: it wasn't any worse & nothings broke.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Holee sh**!  That's BAD!  :doah:  🚑  Way bad! Glad yer paws came outta it OK, and ya got the danged thing off! Beaver's are always just plain trouble, one way or another...
« Last Edit: November 11/02/18, 08:35:40 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I've always hated 330's and that hasn't changed. Hands are sore today.  I did catch  just as many  beaver with snares so I might stop using the big traps.