Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: wad i do wrong  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
cooked my squash,  put it in jars, put lids on, put in water bath to seal,  came out sour, when i tried to eat one. who know how tonproperly can squash.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
we never canned it, we froze it in freezer bags and that worked for us..
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
cooked my squash,  put it in jars, put lids on, put in water bath to seal,  came out sour, when i tried to eat one. who know how tonproperly can squash.
nope Glenn...........dont...........dont.........dont do it!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

sorry buddy cant help ya. never planted,  cooked or processed squash. i wont eat it either!!!!!!!!   
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
What kind of squash was it...?  Summer:  Yellow or Zucchini?  Or was it fall:  Acorn or Butternut, etc.?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I'll do a USDA copy and paste....because I don't know why. I woulda just mashed and frozen it, like I've done in the past. Works well. But, that doesn't help you out...

Zucchini and all other squashes must be canned using a pressure canner. Water bath canners only reach boiling point temperatures, while pressure canners heat contents to 240 degrees Fahrenheit. Any low-acid foods, like most vegetables, meats, and seafood, must be canned using a pressure canner to avoid the risk of contracting botulism or other foodborne illnesses. If you don’t own a pressure canner, don’t risk it—just go ahead and freeze your leftover squash.

Keep in mind that if you are looking for crisp, crunchy squash, canning may not be your best option for all varieties. Freezing will work much better, for example, for vegetables like summer squash. When you place sliced or cubed squash into a jar, it can become overly soggy and also affect the taste and heating pattern in the jar. While spiralized zucchini, butternut squash, and winter squash all can quite nicely, it’s worth being willing to experiment with your canning recipes to obtain the proper ratios. Whatever doesn’t work well with canning can be frozen, pickled, or dehydrated.
« Last Edit: November 11/01/18, 08:52:53 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
weird i fully cooked my butter cup sqaush before i sealed in jar
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I've had squash do some weird things before, too, Boar...does pizz ya off though. :confused: