Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Weekly conservation report  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
:police: Area Mn DNR Conservation Officer Weekly Reports

- Nov. 27, 2018

Aviation Section:

Beavers and their dams: Trapping, removing and... exploding? - MnDNR CO Reports

NR (Natural Resources) Pilot Brad Maas (Brainerd) completed the annual trout stream surveys for the Duluth Fisheries office, flying 80 miles of streams in the northeast and recording beaver dams. Beaver dams allow water to warm significantly, which is detrimental to native brook trout. A USDA trapper will come in to remove the animal and remove the dams. He also worked on administrative tasks.

CO (Conservation Officer) Pilot Jason Jensen (Brainerd) reports a week of prepping for an upcoming fish house survey. Jensen also assisted with big-game enforcement efforts in southeast Minnesota with baited areas and a potential waters violation being found. Jensen completed an instrument proficiency check ride and attended a retired DNR warden pilot funeral in Ely.

District 9 - Brainerd area

CO Tim Collette (Brainerd) checked anglers out on marginal ice, including several wheel houses pulled out by wheelers, monitored the start of the fisher-trapping season, and worked the muzzleloader deer season. Calls of hunter trespass and deer baiting were investigated as well as a call of an entire lake that was lowered by blowing a beaver dam with explosives.

CO Eric Sullivan (Pequot Lakes) investigated big-game litter and wanton waste cases around the area and continued working on big-game investigations. Sullivan also conducted a site visit where a wolf depredation was reported. Some people have started the ice-fishing season on area lakes. Angling violations included angling without a license and no license in possession.

CO Scott Fitzgerald (CCSRA) reports continued training with COC (Conservation Officer Candidate) Jacqueline Hughes. They checked multiple hunters the last weekend of the firearms deer season. They also checked for park violations and followed up on possible big-game violations. They wrote multiple deer possession tags.

District 4 - Walker area

CO Mark Mathy (Cass Lake) primarily followed up on existing cases from the deer season. The first ice anglers and pike spearers were seen in the area. Some areas near shore had 10 inches of ice but about 100 yards away there was as few as 4 inches. Caution is advised as ice thickness is variable from spot to spot and lake to lake. A deer-stuck-in-the-ice complaint was received and a car-killed deer possession permit was issued. Enforcement action was taken for an overlimit of northern pike and no angling license in possession.

CO Randy Posner (Staples) worked the muzzleloader deer hunting opener. Violations of trespass and untagged deer were found. Complaints of deer carcass dumping continue to be reported. A complaint of road hunters in the Pillager area was investigated. Ice angers were out and are catching some fish. However, the ice conditions are poor, inconsistent and dangerous. Some areas that had ice last week are now open again. Reports of double trippers and anglers using extra lines received enforcement time.

---   ---   ---   ---   ---

BEAVER DAMS:

(from: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/permits/water/answers.html )

Is a DNR public waters work permit required to remove the beaver dam from my property?

Beavers are protected animals under the game and fish laws, and their dams have protection under those laws. Landowners have the right to remove beaver dams from their property but DNR permits may be required:

A DNR public waters work permit (on-line application here) may be required to remove a beaver dam if the bed of the lake or stream is excavated (i.e., by dragline, backhoe) in conjunction with the dam's removal. If a beaver dam has been in place for many years and affects other properties than your own, the other property owners should be contacted. In some cases, lakeshore has been developed in conformance with water levels resulting from a beaver dam controlling the outlet for many years. Before removing a beaver dam in that situation, it is recommended you contact the DNR area hydrologist PDF.

In addition to a public waters work permit:

Removing a beaver dam or lodge generally requires a special use permit from the local DNR Wildlife Manager.
Trapping or killing beaver may require a special beaver permit from a Conservation Officer. Questions regarding trapping or killing beaver should be directed to the local DNR conservation officer.

Please see "Living with Wildlife – Beavers " for additional information regarding removal of beaver or beaver dams under game and fish law provisions. https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/livingwith_wildlife/beaver/index.html
The DNR does not participate in the control of beaver populations or problem beavers.
Blasting

Is a DNR permit required to blow up the beaver dam on my property? :scratch:

The use of explosives in public waters or public waters wetlands is restricted under Minnesota Statutes 97 C. 325, Subd. A(1). Before any blasting is done in public waters or public waters wetlands, the local DNR conservation officer must be contacted. In general, no DNR public waters work permit will be required to remove beaver dams, log jams, or other debris by the use of explosives. If use of explosives would result in substantial modification in the bed or banks of public waters or public waters wetlands, however, a DNR public waters work permit would be required.

To remove a dam by explosives, contact the local Sherriff’s office for the names of licensed explosives experts.

---   ---   ---   ---   ---

District 10 - Mille Lacs area

CO Gregory Verkuilen (Garrison) dealt with the first ice of the season as anglers got out to fish and deer were left stranded due to lack of traction. He also checked small-game hunters and investigated suspicious shots fired.

CO Dustie Speldrich (Willow River) followed up on firearms deer season investigations and answered questions regarding youth snowmobile safety training. She also answered questions about muzzleloader hunting.

CO Dan Starr (Onamia) worked early ice anglers and found panfish in the buckets. The muzzleloader season opener found deer to be moving and hunters are reporting good results. Calls about dumped carcasses are coming in, which could be preventing with the proper disposal of leftover deer parts.

CO Luke Croatt (Wealthwood) checked small-game and muzzleloader hunters. Time also was spent checking some ice anglers. Remember ice safety when venturing out as ice conditions are constantly changing.

District 11 - St. Cloud area

CO Caleb Silgjord (Sauk Centre) spent time during the week monitoring angling activity in the station. Small lakes have some ice but anglers should be cautious when venturing out as there are still many open areas. The muzzleloader opener was worked with very few hunters afield. Violations for the week included an illegal-size pike and no license in possession. Anglers are reminded that in the North-Central Zone there is a limit of 10 northern pike, but not more than two can be longer than 26 inches. All pike from 22 to 26 inches must be released.

CO Todd VanderWeyst (Paynesville) worked hunting and angling activities in the area. He fielded calls concerning muzzleloader hunting and injured animals.

CO Keith Bertram (Long Prairie) spent the week checking anglers. Most lakes have 4 to 8 inches of ice. Citations were issued this week for no angling license, illegal-length northern pike, and filling a public water without a permit.

CO Frank Rezac (St. Cloud) reports checking ice anglers and muzzleloader deer hunters. Follow up was also done on cases involving trespass and lending/borrowing deer licenses.

District 12 - Princeton area

CO Mike Krauel (Mora) spent the week checking ice anglers. Krauel also followed up on several deer-hunting cases and assisted the local law enforcement agencies with several calls.

CO Tony Musatov (Sauk Rapids) checked hunters and handled calls of illegally dumped deer carcasses. A waters complaint was investigated. Complaints were also received for hunting outside of open hours.

Water Resource Enforcement Officers

WREO Joseph Stattelman (NW) spent the week focusing on PW and WCA cases. Time was spent working with LGUs and hydrologists regarding ongoing cases and compliance. A meeting with a local service group in Detroit Lakes was attended. Stattelman spoke about the job of a CO and answered questions regarding the Detroit Lakes area. Time was spent cleaning up items from the firearms deer season.

WREO Robert Haberman (North Central) worked on WREO-related duties and follow up from the 2018 firearms deer season. Ice conditions are still unstable and caution should be used.

WREO Leah Weyandt (Central) attended a site visit to follow up with a restoration order in a wetland. Most of the fill had been removed, however more fill needs to come out in order to be compliant. It has been agreed upon to extend the wetland restoration order.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
My word. The old line once was well it's a "very small" % of people doing breaking the fish and game laws. I don't believe that anymore. Or at least that % is higher. I nearly think it's harder for a CO to not find a violation they write warnings and etc.These reports are horrible in November. I could turn many in also. I nearly was shot at walking home across my field during rifle. Truck went by roared back and gun was out the window I pancaked yelled thank god no 30.06 round came my way. Shiners early late shooting tags galore it's out of control really. Trespass. Thousands of violations are never called in because we know they're swamped with calls and clowns to deal with. Read like the Staples CO he's dealing with deer poaching on one end and double trip multiple line fishermen I mean there's no end its quietly out of control. A good friend and CO just nailed one of my many uncles for baiting so that's wild lol. I have no problem with that and had no idea what he was up to. Makes you wonder how many bucks he killed there now how many followed that doe to the pile that's what baiters are hoping the doe brings him close or the buck himself. I will not rat out the CO's method for catching my uncle or I'd be helping the cheaters.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
K.O.W. 
Good post.  I agree there are many violators out there. They obviously feel the wardens are spread too thin and the odds of getting caught are slim.  Everyone should remember to use the TIP line as that is a very effective tool for enforcement.  A number of years ago I confronted a neighbor about bait on his property. (Corn cobs and soybeans very close to my land).  The bait was placed by the land owners relative and he just got belligerent when I confronted him.  I called the land owner and explained the issue and my concerns.  No baiting since. (at least not at that location).  Yes, I still talk to the guy who was baiting.  Maybe he got the message. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***