Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ice blew out!  (Read 3921 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Ice blew out at Park Point, fire and rescue had to be called. Be careful out there boys!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
No thanks, not worth it!!
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Where's that at?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Where's that at?

Southern end of Lake Superior, Duluth
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Where's that at?
:doofus: :doofus: :doofus: :doofus: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: doah…….EVERYONE, well guess not everyone  :rotflmao: knows where park point is!!!!!!!! 
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, I don't, ya northern nuthatch!!!  :moon:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seems like every so often :tut: ya hear something like this happening!!!  no thanks...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
35 fishermen rescued from an ice floe on Lake Superior

Fishermen wait to be rescued from ice on Superior Bay on Saturday. Nearly three-dozen fishermen were rescued after the ice they were on broke away from shore.

DULUTH, Minn. — Nearly three-dozen fishermen were rescued from an ice floe on Superior Bay Saturday morning.

According to the Duluth Fire Department, 36 fishermen and their equipment were stranded on the ice around 10:40 a.m. when strong northeast winds caused the ice to break away from Park Point.

Retired Vista Fleet Capt. Tom Mackay has been a resident of Park Point for nearly 75 years. He said Saturday’s weather resulted in a seiche, which is when the wind is so strong it pushes water to one end of a large body of water, causing levels to rise. Since the ice on Superior Bay wasn’t locked in to the shore, it came loose and floated out into the bay.

Because the channel is kept open for tugs and ships, ice sheets can move more freely as well, Mackay added.

“That’s basically what happened,” he said.

Emergency responders from several agencies first responded to the area near the Duluth Rowing Club. But the scope of rescue operations grew as officials realized there were groups of fisherman stranded between the rowing club and Sky Harbor Airport, DFD Acting Assistant Chief Mark Herman said.

Rescuers paddle two DFD and one U.S. Coast Guard rapid deployment craft to the ice. With ropes fixed to each end of the inflatable boats rescuers pulled fishmen on crafts from the ice to shore.

Rescuers also used a boat and ladder to bring 35 fishermen ashore. One fisherman reached shore on his own.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Where's that at?
I wasn't sure either, Reb. :scratch: Figured it might be closer to HD but before I could look it up, it was answered here. :cool: :happy1: Good to hear everything turned out OK.
« Last Edit: December 12/02/18, 06:55:01 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Bad situation...

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Where's that at?
I wasn't sure either, Reb. :scratch: Figured it might be closer to HD but before I could look it up, it was answered here. :cool: :happy1: Good to hear everything turned out OK.

Maybe we can post about the ice at Borderline Pizza..... :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Where's that at?
:doofus: :doofus: :doofus: :doofus: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: doah…….EVERYONE, well guess not everyone  :rotflmao: knows where park point is!!!!!!!!

I figured, since I posted it in the Duluth forum.....awe......never mind.....  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Didn't even see that :bonk:, kinda forgot that it's there at the bottom of the page. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Where's that at?

I figured, since I posted it in the Duluth forum.....awe......never mind.....  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

:happy1: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
They forgot to bring the trolling motor.