Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Which is better... 5 inches or 6 inches?  (Read 2552 times)

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I was thinking about getting a hand auger to minimize weight and bulk on long treks.

I gotta believe that a 5" auger would be easier to use than a 6" auger when the ice gets thick, but would it be enough of a difference to say I'd better off with the 5-incher?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I know a lot of guys that prefer the 5" Nils auger....which is convertible to a lithium hand drill. (The way to go with these) But, they have 6" and 7" too....entirely up to you....

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I know a lot of guys that prefer the 5" Nils auger....which is convertible to a lithium hand drill. (The way to go with these) But, they have 6" and 7" too....entirely up to you....

So now your an expert on the size guys like?  :moon:   :rotflmao:

I guess it would all depend on what size you want to get out of the hole?   :confused: 
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm sporting 9 inches....    :sleazy: :sleazy:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

I guess it would all depend on what size you want to get out of the hole?   :confused: 

Well, maybe you can learn something, scooter. I do know just a wee bit about ice fishing. From the 15 yo card we experts carry in my ice tackle box:

Here is the girth you can get up each specified hole size. Remember that fish like B'gill's and crappie are not round  (circumference) so they tend to have taller height and less width. (hole size X 3.1416 if yer a real  techie)

4" = 12.57" girth
5" = 15.71"
6" = 18.85"
7" = 21.99"
8" = 25.13"
9" = 28.27"
10" = 31.42"

And yes, this formula will work on ice that is 3' thick, before ya say something.
« Last Edit: December 12/06/18, 08:33:29 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Well, maybe you can learn something, scooter. I do know just a wee bit about ice fishing. From the 15 yo card we experts carry in my ice tackle box:

Here is the girth you can get up each specified hole size. Remember that fish like B'gill's and crappie are not round  (circumference) so they tend to have taller height and less width. (hole size X 3.1416 if yer a real  techie)

4" = 12.57" girth
5" = 15.71"
6" = 18.85"
7" = 21.99"
8" = 25.13"
9" = 28.27"
10" = 31.42"

And yes, this formula will work on ice that is 3' thick, before ya say something.

Sorry, I saw your bent over so nicely there I just had too hit that one!  :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Our hand auger is a 8", same as the 43cc Eskimino Viper that we got a good seasonal closeout deal on 2-3 years ago from L & M.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our hand auger is a 8", same as the 43cc Eskimino Viper that we got a good seasonal closeout deal on 2-3 years ago from L & M.

:happy1:

I was gonna ask if an ESKIMINO is an Italian Viper, but that would be smart-alecky.   :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: December 12/07/18, 08:15:17 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
OK, ya got me. Made me curious :scratch: so I had to go back & look, guess it's actually the Mako model & it's a Viper motor. Kinda heavy
« Last Edit: December 12/07/18, 08:53:59 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup, the Mako "shark" (they dropped that  few years back..now it's their Z71 Shark 10")
is the bigger one. Not real light. Viper is the Eskimo brand engine. Danged good engine...plus all Eskimos have the industry leading 5 yr warranty.  :happy1: