Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 1990?? Jiffy Legend 9" auger  (Read 12717 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I bought this Jiffy Legend Auger I am thinking around the early 90's??  It is a 9" which I love and is just the right size for me.  It is a heavy auger and this year as all others started on the second pull.  Put new gas in it and ready to go.  I love the auger except it gets a little heavier each year.  I have never weighed it buy have read they are about 40 lbs.  I can feel it in my hernia  that I got repaired when I retired.  Well I am thinking of getting a new lighter auger.  Unfortunately it will be plastic where mine is all metal except the gas tank.  I have always considered the propane ones.  I use a permanent house and just keep redrilling the holes.  So I guess I need a chipper blade.  My buddy says go electric but they are $675.  That ain't happening.  I may even consider a smaller gas model but still with a 9" auger.  I will then sell mine.  Any thoughts as you are my go to guys at times like this. 

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Let the auger battle begin!  :doah:   :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes I know Leech.  I have been reading lots of stuff but was hoping for some good info from you guys.  Such as does anyone have a propane auger and how do you like it?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I can't really help ya.....
I've only had a Lazer and I don't think I'll ever get a different kind.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Is that a Strikemaster HD?  I will be redrilling holes most of the time.  I may even just get a lighter gas auger.  I see Eskimo does not make a 9".  There out of the picture. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been real happy with my IonX...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
ESKIMO!!!! What else IS there? Go with their HC40 propane 8".......or the 33cc gas Stingray. My stingray was unbeatable. LOVED it.  Very light; I needed that after 3 spinal surgeries. But, I like the propane, no muss, no fuss ones. Terrific customer service, too...Eva will take care of you in a flash.  :happy1:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 12/05/18, 02:07:05 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Love my stingray.  2 friend have the electric strikemasters.  1 is an 8 inch and the other is a 10 inch.  When mine finally dies I WILL be getting an electric.  It's an investment that will pay for itself.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Love my stingray.  2 friend have the electric strikemasters.  1 is an 8 inch and the other is a 10 inch.  When mine finally dies I WILL be getting an electric.  It's an investment that will pay for itself.

Isn't the 'ray just a beaut?  :azn:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I am looking at getting the Ion x 10". I would get the strikemaster, but i will be reopening holes. Electric is worth the investment i think.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
inagree with rebs, ive the eskimo hc40 in 10" genitics ya know, and it is a dream for perms if u dont like ele tric. its geard lower, and anctualy augers, where the others are whats called crap slingers. throwing ice all over the place.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
in also have the ion x 10" again, genetics,  love it! but i tell ya, when the ice gets 2.5 to 3 ft thick, it wear me out bad, so much ice displacement compare to the 8, so im in the market for an 8"bit
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Keep in mind Jb, that an ION replacement lithium battery runs anywhere from 130-$190....and the tranny gears are nylon. Just not what I care for, but whatever works for ya. Worked on a LOT of augers over the years.
« Last Edit: December 12/05/18, 02:35:11 PM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just ran to Outdoors Again the sporting goods store here.  Looks like Jiffy is the only ones that make a 9".  He has a Jiffy electric there for about $599.  Forgot to see if it has reverse.  It is a 9" or I could keep my flighting and use it with the elec powerhead.  Jiffy powerhead alone is $499.  Then sell my gas powerhead.  ??  Maybe I could get by with an 8" since it would be so easy to redrill with electric.  I let the holes freeze a little smaller of course cuz it is a pain to redrill them now.  Decisions decisions.  A replacement battery is $180. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That DOES have a reverse, Barry.  8" redrill easier than 9", and wiyth levtric saving on juice is important. An 8"hole is gonna get yer fish out, IMO 1" makes little difference.
« Last Edit: December 12/05/18, 02:42:19 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i would barry, 1 inch amkes a difference in the ice displacement.
78.50"

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I hear ya Rebs and Boar.  I do catch some big sturgys here so don't want to be unhappy if I get the Granddaddy of them all.  I know 8 would probably do but I am so used to 9.  It seems the perfect size to me.  Now i need to get the weight on it.  It does have a 2 year warranty on it. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
i would barry, 1 inch amkes a difference in the ice displacement.

Na.....I wouldn't.  If ya fish with Glenn, an 8'" prolly be too BIG. :azn:   :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Poor Glenn...    I see the battery is only 1 year warranty. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Keep it warm and CHARGED!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just like Mama then Rebs?  LOL  It has hardened steel gears.  I am pretty excited now.   :sleazy:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe Mikey will lend ya some Tide pods.   :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:   Well I appreciate all of the help and I am pretty sure I am going to see if he can get me the 9" Jiffy E6 Lightning here by Sat.  It has a serrated blade that is suppose to last a long time and are good for reopening holes. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Is that a Strikemaster HD?  I will be redrilling holes most of the time.  I may even just get a lighter gas auger.  I see Eskimo does not make a 9".  There out of the picture.

Yup Barry, it's a Strike Master..... I'm a run and gunn'er. I have a flip over that I use more as a sled than a fish house. I drill a ton of holes in a short period of time, and move around a lot.

With that said, they don't work well for redrilling holes and they don't have a 9 inch.

That's why I really can't help.
If you wanted a lightweight auger to drill a bunch of holes, fast, I would recommend a Lazer.
For the fish house folks, Boar or G would know better.
 :sorry:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
the jiffy lightning is awsome and 17 lbs.with 8 inch bit.
78.50"

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Sorry I'm no help fellas, my mid 80's jiffy model 30 still starts on the second pull, runs great and wont die. If you see a guy spinning in circles from this thing it's most likely me!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Makes me feel good to hear you say that.  I never really heard of them since I wasn't in the market for one till recently.  I'm chomping at the bit now.  Gonna put my wheel house on the river Sat. I'm thinking.  Eat more potatoes Bobber.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Old model 30's are the indestructible workhouse of the ice fishing age. No mistaking that poppa-puta-putta Tecumseh engine... :smiley:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya they sound great don't they.  Especially someone a ways away drilling through thick ice.  Kind of the Harley of Ice Augers.  The wife just got home.  See ya a little later.   :sleazy: :sleazy:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yessire i still have my modle 30 3hrs whitehead. saved my ass last year for crappies.
78.50"