Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Hog casings  (Read 6464 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I've been using Lem casings for brat and hot diggity dogs but lately they've been splitting while stuffing and burning super easy on the grill. Anyone else running into the same  thing or do you use a different brand?

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I buy them at the local grocery store.  $6 for a bag of them.  Home Brand Hog and Sausage Casings.  Seem to work good for me and I am sure no expert at doing it. 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
zame here, i use that red package at the grocery store no izsue.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Good to know, I need to try something different..

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
always got mine from a locker plant or store too.. they use so much more and stored right!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Good to know, I need to try something different..
try not as many pops......before ya start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We usually buy a full hank from the local grocery store or butcher shop. Then just store what we don't use in the freezer for next year. Just salt the heck out of them and put them in the freezer.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I gots a question.....
We had some ring baloney made from goose breasts. It was made at a different locker than ours. (We use natural casing)
They turned out awesome.....except....
The casing doesn't seem eatable, it separates from the sausage. It feels like wax paper or something. Peals off real easy, so no big deal removing it.

What kind of casing is this?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
is it red, like summer sausage casing? then its callogen casing,  if not it could be the type of casing that is used in  urleys ol fashioned weiners were u remove the casing to eat the dog. im betti g it is that.
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Ya know HD, I had some ring baloney from the store like that a few times.... :confused:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yeah... it's a brownish color
I tried chewing on it...not good...
But, the sausage itself, is really good!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd say Boar is spot on...

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Almost has to be callogen,  they make either edible or non. But , how did they form rings with it??

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The Ring Bologna kit I got at Curley which is just great to me had the casings included.  They had the curve in them already so your Bologna had a great look to it.  That casing was the collagen too.  It wouldn't hurt you if you ate it but would be chewey as heck.  LOL  I cut it in chunks and then peel the casing off each chunk.  That seems to be the easiest. 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
huh... the ring baloney kit i get from owens bbq, dosent come with casings, i buy the red package of hog casings from the deli, awsome ring!!
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
At Curleys you can just buy the spices mix for things or get the whole kit that has the amount of casings for that project.  I get 25 lb batches and then do half at a time.  Freeze the rest until I want to make another batch. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Probably are collogen or fiberous too. The fiberous are usually what is used on summer sausage. They come in natural or reddish brown color
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If you're anywhere near a Von Hanson's Meats, they'll actually sell you the ones they use.  And they'll actually weigh it out and give you the amount you need according to the approx poundage of sausage you're making. They just put them in a little plastic container with some water.  I found them to be of great quality, they were probably pretty fresh as they make a lot of sausage.  I think the Lem casings can be good, but you never know how long some of them have been sitting there vac-sealed in salt. Eventually they're going to permanently lose some of their integrity.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
spot on, ive bought a hank from a smoke house better stuff, but dont always have the opportunity.
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I know nothing about this, so my question is why the different types? What are used on the "store bought" ones?

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I do not know but I wonder if they have synthetic casing on some of them that is completely edible???? 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: December 12/07/18, 11:56:33 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good article but doesn't answer your question as to what store bought ones are.   You have me curious now too.  They are so perfect and uniform it doesn't seem like they are hog casings.  Like hot dogs and Johnsonville type sausages. 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
store bought ones are bought in a store... 
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
OOOHHH!!  Thanks  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Is that where ya get yer smomed snausage??
« Last Edit: December 12/07/18, 02:02:07 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I dont recall seeing  casings at the grocery store around here but I'll be going to Von Hansons today, thanks gents!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Night n day difference! Picked up some casings at von Hansons yesterday,  did up 10# of hot dogs what a difference,  thanks gents  :happy1:  Now I just gotta figure out how air is getting between the horn and casing.. :scratch:

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Glad Von Hanson's worked for ya, Bobber.

Usually when I get air in my sausage, it comes from the little pockets within the meat in the cylinder, not between the horn and casing - although it seems like it.  I always load the entire length of casing until just a little hangs off the end of the horn (approx an inch), then I crank the stuffer slowly until about the same amount of meat comes out, then I tie it off, air tight.  Any air from the cylinder usually takes the path of least resistance - if you have a tight grip around the emerging sausage, the air will usually move up in-between your horn and casing.  Not much you can do about it, usually it's manageable.  I just try to let it out a little at a time into the sausage, but the only way to avoid it is to take extra care packing the cylinder.  But you'll never be able to avoid some air in the mix.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
take pin and pop the air bubbles is what we do if we get them..