Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bald Eagle and White Bear December 6  (Read 3894 times)

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
I went out at 11 a.m. today, Thursday December 6, to check on activity on Bald Eagle and White Bear Lake.

There were two portables on Bald Eagle.  One was up on the north end in the middle but I couldn’t tell how access was gained - probably a local since there isn’t any place to get on up there.  There was also a portable by the cattail bed south and west of the landing.  There were enough tracks from the landing to make me think there are a number of folks going out that way. 

What I saw that was odd was a large area of very dark ice going north and west from the island.  The rest of the lake has a thin coating of snow but this area looked to be totally clear.  Hard to believe that it is still open water given the recent temps.  But there were also some ducks flying along the west side of the lake and looking for a place to land.  Doesn’t make sense to me.

White Bear only had two portables and it looks like they probably came out from the VFW.  I didn’t go around the entire lake but there was nothing visible from the launch on 96.

Part of it could be the lack of any information from bait dealers.  Blue Ribbon’s shop on 96 has been closed for a couple of seasons now.  The ladies at the Quick Stop on 61 near 120th really had nothing useful to offer in terms of info and I doubt they pay any attention.  One said that there have been a few coming in to buy bait but no one has given any reports.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
People are still going out on White Bear? What's the depth down to now? Used to fish that a lot 10-15 years ago...along with Bald Eagle, Centerville, and Peltier.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Actually water level is back up...

DNR White Bear Lake Water Level Data

Period of record: 01/01/1924 to 11/06/2018
# of readings: 6814
Highest recorded: 926.7 ft (06/20/1943)
Lowest recorded: 918.84 ft (01/10/2013)
Recorded range: 7.86 ft
Last reading: 924.06 ft (11/06/2018)

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showlevel.html?id=82016700

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have great difficulty believing it's 924 ft deep....................

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 12/06/18, 12:42:51 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
That's prolly elevation above sea level. 

So it is 2.7 feet below the record high water mark and 5 feet above its lowest back in 2013.

I think the folks on WBL feel fortunate that the water rose so quickly.  I'll bet there were some who didn't think they'd live to see the water come back.

But don't believe the lake is out of the woods.  Water demands haven't stopped rising, only now are they thinking that they understand the hydrology, and there is no agreement on what to do if the lake levels fall again.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, that doesn't help when setting depth for crappies..... :rolleyes:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
My ol' man used to tell me to let it hit bottom and reel up some line.

I'm probably not the one to be offering advice for setting depth on anything.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that's how I learned many years ago!!!  about the same ice fishing til depth finders...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I used to use topo maps, years of past knowledge of the lake I was fishing, and a  SLN* depth finder. Then the electronics came out.....  :happy1:

* String with Lug Nut
« Last Edit: December 12/06/18, 02:41:36 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
There is very little action on Bald Eagle.  Only a few perms and they seem to be on the southeast side of the lake.  There is a wheelhouse way up on the north end - I have no idea how it got there.  I doubt that there are more than 25 houses including portables out there at any one time.

The Pioneer Press reported on 1-17 that the sheriff had closed the Bellaire Beach access to White Bear.  It said that two cars had gone in and one got hung up on a ice ridge.

Strangest season I can recall in the 30 years I've lived out here.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Bald Eagle never was a great producer for me, and White bear was a hit-or miss....lotsa perch with the occasional northern chasing one in and taking a bite...some weekends were far better than others. Less people on ice seemed to help until it got crazy up there.
Typical fishing, I guess.

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
Feb 2, lots of folks out on Bald Eagle today.