Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Mn wolf pack ranges  (Read 10285 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
This map is fascinating.  It represents one small part of Voyageurs National Park that the wolves have divvied up amongst themselves.

I wonder how much of the entire state - and Wisconsin and Michigan as well - would be covered with squiggles if every pack had a collared wolf to map their territory.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
hell, that map could just as well be Mikey and Reb with trackers on chasing there NL's around the back yard!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

but seriously..........thats crazy and i'm not sure the DNR realy wants the general public to know where all the woofies are here in minnesoda!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Looks more like a head CT of Glenn..... :doofus:

So each color is a different pack? If so, note there is very little overlap...marked boundaries!
« Last Edit: December 12/11/18, 03:05:55 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks more like a head CT of Glenn..... :doofus:

So each color is a different pack? If so, note there is very little overlap...marked boundaries!
:tut: :tut: :tut:

apparentle there not like you guys that have that seks thing on your brain all the time.....then i'd bet there be more overlap!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
                             :offtopic: :tut:

We're talking wolves here, pony boy!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just notice the blue area is the smallest....   smurf land going down....   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Smokey Hills Bandit

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Here is some more information regarding MN wolf packs. Information is a bit outdated; last update was 2013

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_wildlife/wildlife/wolves/2013/wolfsurvey_2013.pdf

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd like to know what the mileage is that's represented by each pack and teh "squiggles", and how the deer/moose population compares to adjacent areas that are not show to have the pack territory covered....

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice maps at the end of that deal Lynch. 

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: December 12/11/18, 10:20:30 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is interesting....
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
This map is fascinating.  It represents one small part of Voyageurs National Park that the wolves have divvied up amongst themselves.

I wonder how much of the entire state - and Wisconsin and Michigan as well - would be covered with squiggles if every pack had a collared wolf to map their territory.

After looking at maps at the bottom of the 2013 wolf survey, I am convinced the wolves have completely divvied up the northern part of our state.

The squibble map shown here is just south of Lake Kabetogama, southeast of International Falls.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Spot on Steve-O.

No doubt they own the north. 2013 study says there are 438 packs, and the map displays under 40. Now try fitting 400 more circles on that map.

They own Paul Bunyan. Walked past a handful of fresh kills while grouse hunting. Get me the hell outta here! :censored:

JL

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Spot on Steve-O.

No doubt they own the north. 2013 study says there are 438 packs, and the map displays under 40. Now try fitting 400 more circles on that map.

They own Paul Bunyan. Walked past a handful of fresh kills while grouse hunting. Get me the hell outta here! :censored:

JL

Paul Bunyan SF?  Odd I hunted there for over 30 years and never once saw a Wolf.  We have now been hunting over above Outing MN and have seen plenty in the last 5 years or so we moved over there.  :confused:

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I can tell you without a doubt that they're alive and well in the Emily area.  'Heard em howling the first day of gun season, and the deer were mysteriously absent from the area.  Lots of those big canine footy prints all over the place too.  The locals ain't happy about it either.  Shoot, shovel and shut up must be going strong up there.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
You can only hope.   :whistling:

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: September 09/26/19, 08:19:26 PM by jlynch3 »

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: September 09/26/19, 08:19:37 PM by jlynch3 »

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Regardless there's too many wolves. I say that because packs have expanded into Isanti county, ottertail county prime wolf habitat right ? Isanti, the farmland of OTC ? I have found many wolf kills they do not pick on the weak sure they eat those first but don't think for a second they fast for the rest of the months, no they brutally kill whatever they can. Friend today sent me a wolf shot in ottertail county a place where the wintering herd is in for a rude awakening. A place where hundreds of thousands of dollars has gone into deer management. This ought to be interesting. Wolves in there will be ugly deal. Decimate the deer herd until the thaw. I should know i once owned land in there. This 10 quota also is a joke from past wolf hunts the east central mn quota of 10 joke. Our neighbor trapped the 9/10 wolf and there were 7-8 other wolves with him. Hinckley area overrun. This blast 3 deer in our area most Hunter's never saw 3 deer all rifle season, hardly seeing anything and now wolves massacre em until April great what a waste really spending the $ to buy deer land when it becomes wolf land. Anything south of hwy 10 should be no quota in my book none of it is wolf range and this is where read above the problems in my area are south of US HWY 10

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: September 09/26/19, 08:16:33 PM by jlynch3 »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Not sure if this has been posted. Wolf hunt may be closer than you think!

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/06/700890055/trump-administration-seeks-to-take-gray-wolf-off-endangered-species-list

JL

I'm sure PETA and the other groups will file law suits to block it or at least tie it up for ever!  They really need to look at a state to state need and MN has to Many!  :angry:
« Last Edit: March 03/09/19, 09:11:53 PM by Leech~~ »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/06/700890055/trump-administration-seeks-to-take-gray-wolf-off-endangered-species-list

JL

I sure PETA and the other group will fill law suits to block it or at least tie it up for ever!  They really need to look at a state to state need and MN has to Many!  :angry:
really?? You smoking dope??? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

JL

I sure PETA and the other group will fill law suits to block it or at least tie it up for ever!  They really need to look at a state to state need and MN has to Many!  :angry:
really?? You smoking dope??? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
No remember I'm a mushroom eater I was told!  :confused:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Here is a quote from the National Public Radio article.  I was curious about this...

"There are now more than 5,000 gray wolves in the Lower 48, up from about 1,000 in 1975, according to The Associated Press."

I'm not sure if the Associate Press was reporting that there were 1,000 wolves in 1975 or that there are now more than 5,000 wolves.  Either way, leave it to National Public Radio to under-report the facts.  I did a quick search of states that report wolf populations and I came up with 6,800 to 6,900 wolves in the lower 48 by tallying up estimates from seven states.

I also found a related Associated Press wolf population article from Washington State that talks about their wolf recovery.

https://www.apnews.com/88c73510c4874fd69e7f7b5bd3884580

In this article, I found the following nugget...

While many urban residents support the return of wolves, livestock producers on the front lines — in the lightly populated northeastern part of the state — are wary.

A state lawmaker from that rural area ... introduced a bill in the Legislature to create a wolf sanctuary in the heavily residential Seattle suburb of Bainbridge Island. Republican Rep. Joel Kretz’s bill was in response to the legislator from Bainbridge Island introducing a bill to ban the killing of wolves.

“I’m sure the gray wolves will seek to placidly co-exist with the dogs, cats, horses, sheep, people and other peaceful animals of the island,” said Kretz, of Wauconda.

His bill also said the state can kill wolves only after “four dogs, four cats or two children have been killed.”

I thought MN had the poor law makers, but we got nothing on the tree-hugging, wing nut legislators in Washington.  This Kretz guy is certifiably ignorant!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
How ignorant of the whole situation.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Of the Stated 5,000, Minnesota has over 3,000 Wolves alone. More then any state in the lower 48. Seems a bite lopsided. Please take some of ours and spread the Joy!  :mad1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
They like the free benefits.  :azn:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
They like the free benefits.  :azn:

in that case, expect three packs to be relocating to the Rochester area soon!  :bonk: