Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Weight loss surgery  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Livin the dream

• Outdoorsman
Hello everyone.  I just went through gastric bypass and now getting back on my feet and my brain cleared out of all the pain meds.  Anybody  here gone through the surgery or know anybody that has?  Also, any low carb recipes you've tried on fish, wild game or sausages would be great if you shared.  I know I don't post much, but I check in  quite a bit to see what's cooking or smoking or who's getting picked on.  Thanks

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
  Good luck with with the recovery. Can't help ya on the low carb thing. Carbs like me for done reason. The neighbor lady across the street did it years back and she fluctuates in weight alot. Another gal I know had the surgery, last o seen she failed. I hear it requires exercise and a strict diet.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good luck to ya!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup good luck and make it a permanent life style change not just a year or two.  Know a buddy that went through it. 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I know two people, females, who had the surgery.   One was very successful, as of last time I saw her...  Then she moved to Grand Marais.   The other lost a bunch of weight and then found it all again and then some.   I think it can help a lot but if you have enough issues with food and no support system, it can fail.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The husband of a couple I know had the surgery about 10 years ago.  Short story, he joined an online group of like people (not unlike us here), met several out of state women, traveled out of state to meet them, spent all his considerable money on them, got divorced, move out of state to be with one, didn't pay his ex as he should, would go to jail if returned to Minnesota.  There is more but you get the picture.  I guess my advice is to not change too much. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck!! BIL's sister had this surgery & it seemed to help her. I'm not sure she was willing to make all the lifestyle changes neccessary, in order for it to work as well as it can though.
« Last Edit: December 12/18/18, 09:06:41 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck!! BIL's sister had this surgery & it seemed to help her. I'm not sure she willing to make all the lifestyle changes neccessary, in order for it to work as well as it can though.

I think that is why at least some surgeons want you to lose some weight or at least stabilize to show that you will actually be able to continue with the changes.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Cutting carbs and sugars sucks.  But your salvation is that bacon is low carb!

The theory is that if you reduce your carbs and sugars intake low enough, you body will become tuned to burn fats you eat and the fat on your body more efficiently. 

However, your cardiologist might want to have some input in this area so that you aren't eating too many "bad" fats.
« Last Edit: December 12/18/18, 11:14:35 AM by Steve-o »

Offline Livin the dream

• Outdoorsman
Thanks for all the feedback.  I look forward to trying some fish with crushed pork rinds or maybe a venison dinner with mashed cauliflower.  Thanks again.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I have noticed that the frozen food section sells several things, like riced cauliflower that might be of use....

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Has anybody tried the smashed cauliflower instead of smashed taters?

Mama wants to try it....me, I'm not so sure
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

low carb, or Paleo.   

Give it a try.   Once ain't gonna kill you.   

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

My supervisor has and said it was good. The wife and I will use the riced cauliflower for spaghetti instead of noodle. Really good. I will also make stir fry with venison or chicken. We usually use brown rice for that, but could certainly use the riced  cauliflower. Brown rice is supposed to be better for ya then the white rice. Another thing we have been doing is cooking tilapia fillets salt and peppered in a little olive oil. Then place it on a bed of spinach with broccoli on the side. Are weakness for carbs is on the weekends though. 12 ozs at a time. Pork chop in every can.  Good luck.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Have you seen the ads, Oprah :scratch:, for cauliflower crusted pizza? Think 1 of the :toast: places in town has some on the menu. Not sure if it's theirs or bought that way. Know you can buy just the crusts some places.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
mashed cauliflower is ok if you put enough gravy on it otherwise it just tastes like mashed cauliflower.
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I've made a couple of cauliflower pizza crusts.  It is a PITA, but it doesn't taste awful.  I added lots of Italian seasonings to the crust when you bake it.  And make sure it is good and crispy before you attempt to put toppings on and re-bake.

1 head of cauliflower will make 1 medium size pizza.  So if you eat half - which isn't that much - when you are done, you realize you just ate half a head of cauliflower - which is very weird.

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Cauli-rice in awesome!  And it's convenient because they actually sell it that way now.  My kids still haven't figured it out yet, they just think it's a type of rice.  I don't even look at it as a rice substitute, I think it stands on its own as just a good food.  Spice it up or use it the way you would any type of rice dish, or throw a little cheese on there and you're good to go.

Best of luck with your recovery and future!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Cauli-rice in awesome!  And it's convenient because they actually sell it that way now.  My kids still haven't figured it out yet, they just think it's a type of rice.  I don't even look at it as a rice substitute, I think it stands on its own as just a good food.  Spice it up or use it the way you would any type of rice dish, or throw a little cheese on there and you're good to go.

Best of luck with your recovery and future!

They even sell big bags of frozen riced cauliflower at Costco.....