Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2019 gardens  (Read 56363 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
HD just cut them off and you'll be good
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 I'll be finishing up planting tomorrow. And then the fence goes up around to keep them friggin rabbits out.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

The asparagus or the rhubarb?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

The asparagus or the rhubarb?
the rubarb. I just cut the whole stock that's formed the seeds.  Not much you can do with skinny asparagus but harvest and eat what it gives you.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
+1 on cutting out the rhubarb stalk with the flowers/seed head.

It's been a goofy year as short on heat as we are. Guessing like a lot of things some kinds of rhubarb are more photoperiodic than others. We have two types, a green and a red type, Canada red I think. The green variety bolted already several weeks ago. It usually does here. It's become more spindly and seems more interested in producing seed rather than nice stems for eating. The red type has always been slower to bolt although looking at photos, it's about 2/3- 3/4 the size it was the past couple years. Was reading that rhubarb is a heavy user of sulfur. Typically we see warmer weather which allows more sulfur to be mineralized from the organic matter. I need to plant my canna bulbs yet and I put manure in the trench when I do that. Since most manure is a good source of sulfur, it probably wouldn't hurt if I worked some in around the rhubarb as well, either this spring or in the fall after it's gone dormant.
« Last Edit: May 05/25/19, 09:29:39 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Decided to sort thru the canna bulbs before going to a graduation. Packed in boxes of shredded newspaper and stuffed under the crawlspace they kept pretty well. Looks like I have somewhere in the vicinity of 30 - 40 bulbs. I'll probably plant only about 20 of them if I don't find a new spot for the rest. They're work to plant, dig and store but the hummingbirds love them. If someone wants some PM me and we'll see what can be arranged.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So your saying you plant them easch spring and in the fall have to dig them out??

Screw that!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I understand especially when this is your definition of "yard work"... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

« Last Edit: May 05/25/19, 01:25:17 PM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I understand especially when this is your definition of "yard work"... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:confused: training-087 :banghead: :taz: don't you have Grad parties to attend! :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
This tree will loaded with fruit!

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so any you fellers got any idea when these places that sell plants will start dropping the prices to clear things out?? I want to add 5 perennial plants/flowers to my wife's flower bed. then pick up some hen-n-chicks on the cheap to add to my landscape rocks around the house.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
If you weren't so darned lazy you could've had some cannas on the cheap!  :rotflmao: Incidentally I planted all but about a dozen of those bulbs today. Dumped numerous buckets of sheep poop & worked it in where I planted them. Also planted the four o'clocks ahead of the forecast rain. The things I won't do for a hummer!  :rotflmao:

Mrs. Cheviot worked retail greenhouse for prolly 25 years. Seems like after the first week in June she used to start clearing stuff out. Depended on the year. A later spring sometimes it would be delayed another week. The last place she worked was a satellite greenhouse in Albert's Leaf for Souba's whose main store is in Owatonna. They'd cut stuff down in price by half and then half again the next week, practically giving it away. After that it went in the dumpster. People started dumpster diving so they'd snip the annuals in two so they were worthless. People actually had the audacity to bitch about it.   
« Last Edit: May 05/26/19, 09:49:05 PM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the heads up. :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I am now officially done planting the garden. And fence is up.

Man I'm pooped! :pouty: :tongue:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Well I hope you got yer plant stakes out!  :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I hope you got yer plant stakes out!  :rotflmao:
:happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Whaaaa!!  :rolleyes:  :cry: If you did a little more work during the week  :scratch: ........................the weekend would be easier. ;)  :laugh: Too many MGL's the night before, maybe? :sleazy: :smiley:  :scratch:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Whaaaa!!  :rolleyes:  :cry: If you did a little more work during the week  :scratch: ........................the weekend would be easier. ;)  :laugh: Too many MGL's the night before, maybe? :sleazy: :smiley:  :scratch:
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: maybe!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dotch,
I don't count bulbs, I count boxes of them.  I usually end up with 3-4 large boxes and a few bags of canna bulbs.  I have two types, red and green.  I usually dig about half to them in fall and then in spring plant about two thirds of them.  The rest are given away or pitched. 

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
very nice deadeye!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That's pretty impressive deadeye. When I started planting them again promised myself that I'd only plant the one row. I remembered how much work they were as a kid. Now I've broken my own rule and I'm not even retired yet! Do your deer eat the excess bulbs? A couple years ago it froze a bunch of the bulbs in the ground before I could get at them. Had read they could be used as livestock feed. Tossed them over the fence to the sheep but not interested.  :scratch:   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Those are beautiful.  Have seen them before but didn't even know what they are.  Do deer eat them or do you just plant them cuz they look nice?

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Those are cool DE. I leave the bulbs and flowers to the Mrs, cuz of any failure I'd be blamed.. Put up the trellis the other day on the one bed, some snap peas have grabbed on but the cukes have a bit..gotta love this time of year!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
LPS,
They are just for looks and exercise (lots of work to dig and knock the dirt off before storing them for the winter). 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
After a couple days if plugging away here's the garden as of tonight.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looking good there glenn.  I've been ignoring mine for a while now, too busy with other things.  I may have to replant potatoes as only about 10% came up.  What gives with that.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looking good there glenn.  I've been ignoring mine for a while now, too busy with other things.  I may have to replant potatoes as only about 10% came up.  What gives with that.
i think it may be 2 things too wet and to cold. the seed potato rotted in the ground!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very nice Glenn.  I didn't know you lived right in town.  Great looking garden. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Big shout out to Marties Farm Service in Elk River.  I went to buy seed potatoes and The guy said "take all you want" no charge.  I guess he felt sorry for some poor schlep just getting around to planting potatoes near the middle of June. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
2nd picking. 1 more then there toast. I'm done with asparagus and I cleaned cut and froze the rest of my rubarb.