Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2019 gardens  (Read 56072 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a question on fruit trees.  Plum and apple.  Two plum bushes and one apple tree.  The last two years I haven't gotten any fruit at all.  I have some friends who do not spray their trees and have good results.  I think with me it's some kind of insects that are causing this.  Blooms are out and what kind a spray should I use to help me get fruit.  Thanks  good luck.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I use a fruit tree spray made by Bonide.  It contains Captan, Malathion and Carbaryl.  I usually spray after the blooms have fallen and fruit is evident.  Generally end of May and again two weeks later.  This is both a bugs and mildew.  As I do with most plants, if I feel I need 10 plants (Trees, bushes, tomatoes, etc) I will plant 20 and hope to make up any shortfalls with volume.   :rotflmao: 

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have apple trees and do not spray any more...  apples every year!!!!!!!!!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Deadeye.  I will get some today.  Ya some folks don't spray and do fine.  Maybe it's just where you live, who knows.  But I'm spraying this year and hope for the best.  Thanks again. good luck.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Frost here this morning. Covered everything up. We will see if it did any good.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I don't spray my apple trees either and for the two of us with four bearing trees, we have more apples than we can eat or give away. Not that I don't want to spray them, it's just not in the cards with everything else going on. Maybe when I retire. We are fortunate in that we are relatively isolated without a lot of people with apple trees nearby. Have noticed some scab become more prevalent as the growing season have been wetter and we've planted more crabapples for the wildlife. Have more bird problems than insect problems on the eating apples. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Although I usually spray, I see nothing wrong with not spraying.  I would get plenty apples either way.  The main reason I spray (in my yard not at my land) is to help prevent the black spot fungus that causes the crab apple trees to lose their leaves in August.  Mostly cosmetic but they do look bad when all the leaves fall and it's still summer.  I Have planted around 40 regular apple trees and 20 crab apple trees at my land.  I'm going for numbers here and couldn't afford the time or cost to spray them all.  I plan to plant an additional 12 trees this Wednesday and then maybe be done for a while.  :bonk:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The Indian Magic crabapple tree in our yard gets that black spot and it's likely scab. The worst part is the variety is supposed to be relatively resistant. However, like most of our 15 - 20 crabapple trees, I don't prune them as aggressively as I probably should and that tree is getting good sized. I did prune the snot out of it this spring to improve air flow so we'll see if that helps. The problem is worse some years than others and recent wet springs and summers haven't helped. Sounds like you've got matters well under control deadeye but for people like me who don't, here are a couple links for disease and insect control: 

https://extension.umn.edu/plant-diseases/managing-apple-scab-ornamental-trees-and-shrubs#cultural-control-1165361

https://conservancy.umn.edu/bitstream/handle/11299/198130/Apple%20Home%20IPM.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So DE when you plant the apple trees on your land the deer don't kill them while munching on them?  Don't they eat the buds off of them?

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
fence them to keep the deer away I would say...

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yes, fencing and trunk protection from mice and other nibblers is mandatory. 
Here's a few pictures of how they look.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
That's really nice!!!  Don't have a deer problem since I got my lab Lucy but guarding the bottom for nibblers is on the agenda.  My yard is fenced.  Going to get me another apple tree this week.  good luck.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's great.  Nice job.  Those deer have it made at your place.  That must be 5' high wire it looks like.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Days a big Apple garden!! :happy1: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well my plants survived the frost! :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
How are they at swimmin? :scratch: :confused: High wind warning here since late am & it's been rainin pretty steady for the last hour so. 'Sposed to get worse later too. :bonk:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
deadeye, where did you get your tree tubes and do you leave it on year round? Bunnies nailed three of my crabs pretty good last winter but they must've only eaten the outer bark. The trees leafed out and flowered like normal. Next year I might not be so lucky.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dotch,
I hope you were lucky. Frequently, if they were griddled they have enough stored energy to leaf out and bloom but will die off later.  The tubes can be purchased at fleet farm, runnings, home depot and the like.  They are not cheep.  I am trying something new this year.  I'm planning on using the sewer drain tubing.  It has small slits for ventilation and can be cut to the length you need from a 10 foot piece.  Only issue is the tubing is black but I think it will have enough ventilation.  Yes, I leave the tubes on all year round.  Haven't had one chewed up yet. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have seen others use the sewer tubes too, hope they work too!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A lot of people use drainage tile here. Finding someone who has some laying around is the trick. It needs to be slit as well which shouldn't be too tough using any number of means. I just like the looks of the stuff you had deadeye.

Fingers crossed on the crabapples that were bunny damaged. The snow swirled around them this past winter making a perfect hole for bunnies to sit and gnaw in. It looked like someone had put mulch around the trees this spring. They are Siberian crabs. They're tough. I've chopped them off with the rear mount tractor mower, the bunnies have pruned them off, and I've brutalized them when pruning because with their spines, they really suck to mow around. They just seem to keep coming. It'll be interesting to see what they do after this latest episode. Maybe tomorrow a.m. when I'm reading the cutworm trap I'll photo the damage.

Another question, are your cages made from welded wire? I'd love to put some trees in the sheep pasture like that, maybe some autumn blaze maples, more crabapples or even regular apples. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
How are they at swimmin? :scratch: :confused: High wind warning here since late am & it's been rainin pretty steady for the last hour so. 'Sposed to get worse later too. :bonk:
it just started raining here. I went out to new London about 5:30 tonight and it was just dribbling. Just a light drizzle now.

Remember I live that honest lifestyle.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
it just started raining here. I went out to new London about 5:30 tonight and it was just dribbling. Just a light drizzle now.

Remember I live that honest lifestyle.
And you didnt stop in!!! Oh wait we weren't here yet. Light rain here but its blowing like  crazy,  the lake is just plain old mad. Good thing the boat is holding the lift in place..

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey don't threaten me with a good time!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: some day, but first I'd have to find da place! :doofus: :crazy:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Boober, do you have a big pot & wooden spoon? ;) :rolleyes: Then glenn could have a real good time & probably be right over. :sleazy: :tut:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Boober, do you have a big pot & wooden spoon? ;) :rolleyes: Then glenn could have a real good time & probably be right over. :sleazy: :tut:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:pouty: :pouty: :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday I finished planting the gardens.  Tomatoes, peppers, Cukes, gourds, pumpkins, and a few other plants.  I usually don't plant until after Memorial day but I plan to gone for a few days and didn't want the plants to die in my garage. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got the pickling cuke seeds in the garden. I have radishes, beets and lettuce already coming up. Asparagus..... I dunno, lots of skinny spears   :confused:
Rubarb, seeding out this year ?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our rhubarb is barely 10" tall.  Your is already seeding out??  Is that normal at this time of year for you?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
It seems to do it when we get to much rain.
I don't know if that's a normal thing for rubarb to do?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have had one asparagus bunch putting out a spear or two a day.  That has been happening for a couple of weeks.  Another just started and the one we usually get the most from hasn't even had 1 stalk come up yet.  ???