Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2019 gardens  (Read 56060 times)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
 :bow:.....nice radishes.......mine aren't quite big enough yet. Have you ever had problems with Flea Beetles? I have to cover mine with very fine netting to keep them off. Otherwise they look like they were shot with buckshot .
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
:bow:.....nice radishes.......mine aren't quite big enough yet. Have you ever had problems with Flea Beetles? I have to cover mine with very fine netting to keep them off. Otherwise they look like they were shot with buckshot .
thanks! :happy1: no I haven't. I found one cutworm. killed it. but since I,ve been adding ashes from my fire ring/ pit they have been very minimal!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Two days of digging weeds and they don't look too bad.  What do you guys do, keep constant watch and attack any weed that comes up or like me, wait until you can't see the plants and then give it hell for a day or so. I should have taken a before picture but it was too embarrassing  :rotflmao:

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Lookin' good deadeye!  :happy1: I operate along the same lines. After it annoys me enough I get after it and clean it up. Getting about to that point here right now. Nothing like it used to be so not as time consuming. I actually need to transplant some of the weeds into some pots for a display I got talked into.   :confused:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Lot of work for sure.  Did a nice job!!!  good luck.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
when and if i'm at home I usually spend an hour or so a night going thru the garden weeding. thats provided I don't have anything else I feel is more pressing.

going out in the garden pulling weeds is therapy for me, takes my mind off things. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The raised beds, I just pick weeds as I water. Never really got overrun.

The bigger gardens, I plant them far enough apart that I can run the tiller in-between.

Aaaaannnnnddddd......preen helps with the other weeds.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The raised beds, I just pick weeds as I water. Never really got overrun.

The bigger gardens, I plant them far enough apart that I can run the tiller in-between.

Aaaaannnnnddddd......preen helps with the other weeds.
I'm not completely sold on preen! :scratch: don't those weeds reroot and grow again?? I've always been under the impression if you don't get the root, they grow back. But then running a tiller a few extra times isn't a big deal and it keeps the ground loose for the root system.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
when and if i'm at home I usually spend an hour or so a night going thru the garden weeding. thats provided I don't have anything else I feel is more pressing.

going out in the garden pulling weeds is therapy for me, takes my mind off things.
I wonder how much it would help you if you spent a few more hours a day doing this? I bet some members would give you some therapy at little or no charge.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I wonder how much it would help you if you spent a few more hours a day doing this? I bet some members would give you some therapy at little or no charge.
I've been told more often then not, there is no help for me. Besides I self medicate. :drinking: :tequila;

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

I've been told more often then not, there is no help for me. Besides I self medicate. :drinking: :tequila;

Boy, that's for sure!  :bonk:  Maybe you can fertilize yer garden with those croakers I sent ya....grow bigger 'mato's for yer world famous 'sketti sauce.... :rolleyes:   :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

:scratch: I'll bet it's even better therapy :crazy: for his wife. ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:scratch: I'll bet it's even better therapy :crazy: for his wife. ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Why do you think she keeps sticking the weeds back in that he pulled out?   :rotflmao:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a line about pulling out but I best not use it

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Coming along just fine. And 99.9 % weed free.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
What are all those gophers doing in there?!  :laugh:    Lookin' good, Glenn!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Coming along just fine. And was 99.9 % weed free.
There I fixed it for ya. ;) :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: :applause: :bow: Does look pretty good considerin who the caretaker is. :rolleyes: ;D

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: :applause: :bow: Does look pretty good considerin who the caretaker is. :rolleyes: ;D
:tut: :tut: :tut: when meema was alive she told everyone in richmond her favorite grandson had the best garden she'd ever seen!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: meema=grandma??  Favorite grandson?? Did she have more than 1? :confused:      ;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:doah:         :popcorn:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: meema=grandma??  Favorite grandson?? Did she have more than 1? :confused:      ;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:doofus: :pouty: yea.......you dont watch young sheldon???????????

:doah: yea my brudder and 2 grandsons from my ma's brudder!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :whistling:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Glenn must've been the only one that lived tho!  :evil: Sorry, couldn't resist. Garden looks pretty darn nice glenn. Just weeded the snot out of ours yesterday and finally got the mater cages on. Need to get some early maturing string beans planted yet today before it rains. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
First year in about 36 that we don't have a garden, in fact, yesterday I mowed the weeds down that are growing there.
Funny thing is the warden and I don't seem to miss all the weeding a darn bit. I will have to raid someone's garden when I need tomatoes.....

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Bummer Art. Those were some purty mean maters you used to raise. Funny how not missing the labor part of it works. I keep threatening to tear up a hunk of pasture close to the house but I think I can forget about that anytime soon. I sprayed the pasture with Milestone for thistles a few weeks back. Any broadleaf fruit or vegetable probably wouldn't grow in there for a year even if I did. Killed the thistles tho!  :happy1: If I get some decent maters yer certainly welcome to them. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
went and got nice bag full of rhubarb a few minutes ago..  I'd say that is the last this year....  GF is going to make rhubarb cheese cake!!!!  and she makes a great rhubarb cake too!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
First year in about 36 that we don't have a garden, in fact, yesterday I mowed the weeds down that are growing there.
Funny thing is the warden and I don't seem to miss all the weeding a darn bit. I will have to raid someone's garden when I need tomatoes.....
wow.....thats crazy. what made ya give it up?????????

i'd miss a garden with all the goodies from it. going out to weed at times, yea can suck, but mostly its a nice way for e to take out my daily aggressions!!!!! :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:doofus: :pouty: yea.......you dont watch young sheldon???????????

:doah: yea my brudder and 2 grandsons from my ma's brudder!!!!!!
Na, never got into it. :tut: I can get ALL the smart@ss commentary I need quicker somewhere else. :whistling: ;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
wow.....thats crazy. what made ya give it up?????????

i'd miss a garden with all the goodies from it. going out to weed at times, yea can suck, but mostly its a nice way for e to take out my daily aggressions!!!!! :rotflmao:

Between the wet spring and her mom dying and my mom being in the hospital more than not we were overwhelmed and just never got it done. We will get back into it but not on the scale we were at before. I know we will miss some of the fresh produce but there is always friends and the farmer's market.