Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Snares  (Read 1959 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I use a few different snares.  I don't make them. I leave that to the pros.  The first snare is called a beaver spike.  It is a loaded Snare that is attached to a nail.  Very easy to use.  It's used for under ice beaver snaring.   Cut hole in ice. Check depth of water and thickness of ice.  Nail snare onto a green poplar pole so snare is just below the ice.  Lower into hole and secure snare to safety pole on top of ice.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 12/27/18, 03:33:48 PM by dakids »
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Here is a similar snare.  This one requires a support wire.  Wrap wire around pole and push wammy(rubber collar) onto wire.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 12/27/18, 03:43:03 PM by dakids »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
So just the act of them passing through the loop catches them?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
So just the act of them passing through the loop catches them?

Yes.  Make sure loop is right size and height off of the ground for target animal.  Add some guide sticks to help animal hit center of snare.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Snares are usually only good for catching one animal.  After catching animal you will have a twisted mess that gets tossed.

In the other post you asked about dogs.  Most dogs that are leash trained will simply sit down and wait to be released.  Some states require what they call deer stops.  It's a small piece of metal attached to snare that stops snare from closing passed a certain point. They are called cable restraints instead of snares.

Snares are popular for  coyotes because they are cheap, fast, and very effective when ground is frozen.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I was thinking about setting them for yotes, but was concerned about domestic dogs. Years ago, the DNR had stopped here informing me of a domestic dog pack (30 some odd dogs) so I built a huge live trap. I dispatched the ones without collars, and returned the ones alive that did have identification.
But now we have yotes, and still have the occasional 🐕.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I don't snare coyotes so I'm not much help.  Only thing I know is to not put anything above snare unless you want to catch deer.  I buy all my snares from Rally Hess in hill city.  Great guy!  Give him a  call.  He is a wealth of information.  He is more than willing to share his knowledge.  (218) 697-8113

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very interesting DK.