Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Give Northwest Angle back to Canada?  (Read 3782 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
New Petition: Give Northwest Angle Of Minnesota Back To Canada

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) —  A new petition calls on Congress to give the Northwest Angle of Minnesota back to Canada.

The initiative was submitted to the White House’s petitions page on Sunday, but the issue has been debated over for decades.

It all started back in 1783 during the Treaty of Paris.

The border being drawn between the U.S. and what was then Britain was supposed to cut through Lake of the Woods at a northwest angle — hence the name. The problem was, the map the Founding Fathers used of Lake of the Woods was completely wrong. They were way off, but that weird boundary bump stuck.

And ever since, “The Angle” (as locals like to call it) has remained an outlier. The only overland route to this part of Minnesota is actually through Canada

In 1998, Minnesota Rep. Collin Peterson proposed legislation that would give residents of the Angle the power to decide whether they wanted to leave the U.S or not.

Now, the issue is being rehashed again.

The petition states that “due to a surveying errors, it is the only place in the United States outside Alaska that is north of the 49th parallel, which forms the border between the U.S. and Canada.”

It asks that Congress, “make america great by correcting this critical survey error.”

In order for a petition to receive a response from the White House it has to get at least 100,000 signatures in 30 days.

So far, more than 200 people have signed it.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

That an't gona happin!  :crazy:  :bs:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree. Where are they going to find a 100,000 signatures. I sure won't sign it. :bs: :bs:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Is it too late to give California back to Mexico?
 :confused:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Boy, all this changing history to be politically correct, changing holiday names to suit a few certain groups, now change our state borders? WTH does it all end? Pretty soon there won't be anything left of our original world, just a distopian universe like in the Twilight Zone.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
listening to my favorite morning show on the way inti work, they were talking about this a bit. they said  that the red lake nation owns  roughly 80% of the northwest angle................so it will never, ever fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
This is a pure publicity stunt.  The same people (resort owners) start this stunt every 10 years or so simply to garner free advertising.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
So, can I secede CAWchester from Minnysoda? It ain't worth anything anyway.... ;) Hey, that MIGHT solve this "Border Wall" issue...move the border north and make 1/2 of California Mexico. 🤠
« Last Edit: January 01/03/19, 08:22:01 AM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Now that is an interesting idea. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, if we can go back and rewrite history to accommodate some people, I see no reason why we can't go back and redraw borders. That's what they're attempting here. The possibilities are endless!  :shocked:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sell them San Diego.  OR maybe everything south of Dels nudist colony vacation spot.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Funny no one said this yet?   :scratch:

It's Trumps fault they want to get out and be a canuck why they can!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

Funny no one said this yet?   :scratch:

It's Trumps fault they want to get out and be a canuck why they can!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
i just take it for granted EVERYTHING is Trumps fault!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: January 01/04/19, 08:09:30 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, I don't know how many people live up there, but I'm sure they don't appreciate a bunch of yahoo, do-gooders down here trying to change their fate.

Or who knows...  Maybe the 2,500 people all live up there.
 :confused:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe it's those pesky Canucks.  :rotflmao:

To get to the Angle by land visitors are required to go through customs twice, once on the way into Canada and then again when they enter the U.S. at the Angle.

In the 1998, U.S. Rep. Collin Peterson, D-Minn., introduced a bill to allow the Northwest Angle to secede from the U.S. and become part of Canada.

Peterson acknowledged at the time that the bill was “a ploy for attention over border-water treaty issues,” the Herald reported in March 1998.

Under Ontario regulations in 1998, non-Ontario anglers who fished on the Ontario portions of Lake Of The Woods and did not stay overnight in Ontario were prohibited from keeping walleye and sauger.
« Last Edit: January 01/04/19, 08:26:42 AM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I used to go to The Angle quite a bit for work.  So at Warroad you cross into Canada (Manitoba) and have to stop and show your card to them and tell them what and where you are going.  You get to the Angle and there is a small building not heated at this intersection.  It's called Jim's Corner.  There you get on the US phone and tell them you are there.  They take your info and you tell them what you are up to.   When you leave to come back down you go back to Jim's Corner and get on the Canada phone and tell them you will be going through Canada to Warroad.  They ask what you are up to and take your info and give you a number.  You write it down.  If they catch you in Canada without that number I think they can fine you big time.  Sometimes I have stood there in extreme cold and waited an hour on the Canada phone.  Damn near just took off and chanced it.  And they whisper when talking to you. Ok now you head back to Warroad and go through US Customs and tell them what you were up to and where.  They will get your info.   Lot of dicking around.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's almost the dumbest thing I've ever heard!!!   :crazy:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The first few times I went up alone I had to think at Jim's Corner, OK now who am I supposed to call now???   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
As the terrorist stands there..."Hello, we're here to see moose and skwirrel".... :rolleyes:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yes, like LPS said, then take it up one more notch.  You go out to one of the resorts in the angle (Flag island) to stay at a resort.  Now the US/Canadian boarder is just minutes away to the north or east.  If you plan to cross the line, you need to call the Canadians first to let them know.  Last time is was there we never could get ahold of them... no answer or no phone service.   :crazy:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***