Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Help getting started  (Read 3236 times)

Offline CO TOM

• Outdoorsman
 :moose105:
New member.
My son relocated to Minneapolis area.  I miss him and my old fart Colorado buddies aren't hunting anymore.  Looking for whitetail opportunities, seems like private land is the way to go for new to MN types.   Anyone have feedback on Ten Point Lodge near Caledonia? :bambi:

T

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Can't say that I have heard of it. So sorry can't help you there. I hunt both private land and public land up here by the Canadian border. Good luck to you and welcome to MNO!!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline CO TOM

• Outdoorsman
Can't say that I have heard of it. So sorry can't help you there. I hunt both private land and public land up here by the Canadian border. Good luck to you and welcome to MNO!!!
Thanks, any lodges or clubs you'd recommend up your way?
Also, I hope to fish up your way next summer.  Any recommendations for a great place to drag the 5th wheel hunker down & kayak fish?
T

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Actually, I'd say the opposite.  If you have the resources to go with outfitter lodges or private hunt clubs, go for it, but in MN we are blessed with TONS of public land for deer hunting.  Make no mistake, you'll have to work hard for your venison and harder for a trophy, but it can be done on public land.

Sorry, I don't have experience with lodges and clubs for deer hunting.  I'm sure you'll hear soon enough, but CWD has recently been detected in Houston County west of Caledonia.  I don't know exactly what that will mean for deer hunting down there next season, but it will probably include restrictions regarding transportation of meat and trophies.

You might check out these guys for kayak fishing opportunities...

https://mnkayakfishingassociation.org/
« Last Edit: January 01/08/19, 08:28:35 AM by Steve-o »

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks, any lodges or clubs you'd recommend up your way?
Also, I hope to fish up your way next summer.  Any recommendations for a great place to drag the 5th wheel hunker down & kayak fish?

I am near Lake of the Woods area. There are resorts and lodging all over around here. Not sure how many of them are open during deer season. That is something you would have to check into.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline CO TOM

• Outdoorsman
Actually, I'd say the opposite.  If you have the resources to go with outfitter lodges or private hunt clubs, go for it, but in MN we are blessed with TONS of public land for deer hunting.  Make no mistake, you'll have to work hard for your venison and harder for a trophy, but it can be done on public land.

Sorry, I don't have experience with lodges and clubs for deer hunting.  I'm sure you'll hear soon enough, but CWD has recently been detected in Houston County west of Caledonia.  I don't know exactly what that will mean for deer hunting down there next season, but it will probably include restrictions regarding transportation of meat and trophies.

You might check out these guys for kayak fishing opportunities...
Thanks!

T

Offline CO TOM

• Outdoorsman
Steve Oh
Thanks. The kayak guys seem tournament oriented--do you have any feedback about them.
Re resources--we don't have a lot but with me out of state and my son working full time I thought we'd get going via someone's farm versus a limited knowledge limited scouting attempt.
Thanks again

[/quote]
[/quote]
T

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Welcome, CO TOM! Can't help ya a lot on the kayaking, but I know there are a lot of outfitters in the Mpls/St Paul area.....my couisn lives up there, spent a lot of time up there. Here's some lakes in that area to hit, maybe call some of the outfitters in Mpls for info....

https://www.minneapolisnorthwest.com/2016-visitors-guide/2016-summer/minneapolis-northwest-is-built-for-kayak-fishing/
« Last Edit: January 01/09/19, 07:57:02 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Welcome to MNO! A lot of good guys here, I hope someone will have some good info for you. I don't hunt but  :fish2:  a lot, mostly the Cutfoot/Big Winni area.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Welcome to MNO! A lot of good guys here, I hope someone will have some good info for you. I don't hunt but  :fish2:  a lot, mostly the Cutfoot/Big Winni area.
well, he puts his line in the water alot!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

sorry i cant help much in southern minnesota. i turkey hunted twice that way, turkey hunting  seems to be easy to get permission......as long as you dont mess with there mushrooms. deer hunting i hear isnt so easy to find private land!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
If ya wanna go Yaking and catch some fish, I can take you out. You'll have to travel north of the cities though. The wife and I have been getting into the kayaking gig...it's fun to get out. I'm not an outfitter, so I can't guarantee a bunch of fish, (if you go fishing with Glenn, you won't catch nuth'in) but will catch something!

Welcome to MNO!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
now thats funny
 right ther..!!!!!!!

welcome!!!!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
If ya wanna go Yaking and catch some fish, I can take you out. You'll have to travel north of the cities though. The wife and I have been getting into the kayaking gig...it's fun to get out. I'm not an outfitter, so I can't guarantee a bunch of fish, (if you go fishing with Glenn, you won't catch nuth'in) but will catch something!

Welcome to MNO!
:tut: :tut: he obviously hasn't seen the posted picture yet of that Glenn guy handing over fish to you!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: January 01/09/19, 08:32:17 PM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Welcome to MNO!

Yes, welcome to MNO!

I agree. If you go with glenn, it will rain and all you will catch is a cold.  :sick:
« Last Edit: January 01/09/19, 08:20:36 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline CO TOM

• Outdoorsman
Hey Dotch thanks.  Probably won't get up there until early August.  I'll get in touch when we have a schedule.

Welcome to MNO!

Yes, welcome to MNO!

I agree. If you go with glenn, it will rain and all you will catch is a cold.  :sick:
T

Offline CO TOM

• Outdoorsman
If they didn't love you they wouldn't bother messing with you!

Welcome to MNO!
:tut: :tut: he obviously hasn't seen the posted picture yet of that Glenn guy handing over fish to you!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
T