Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: new DNR commish  (Read 3917 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
whats your thoughts on the new commisioner......this  sarah stronmen?????? seen she was invilved with the friends of the BWCA. that scares me a bit, but seems like she has a respectable background to be able to handle the job????????????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
All I know.....time will tell. I just hope she ain't a tree hugger.

Sarah Strommen

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Commissioner

Appointed January 7, 2019

Formerly the DNR’s assistant commissioner, she now oversees a DNR staff of about 2,700 located in St. Paul and around the state, with the mission of working with Minnesota citizens to conserve and manage the state's natural resources, providing outdoor recreation opportunities, and providing for commercial uses of natural resources in a way that creates a sustainable quality of life. Prior to coming to DNR in 2015, Strommen served as assistant director at the Board of Water and Soil Resources (BWSR) before becoming acting deputy director. She previously served as policy director for Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness and as associate director of the Minnesota Land Trust.

Strommen holds a bachelor’s degree from Grinnell College, where she majored in biology and Latin American studies. After graduating from college, she used a Fulbright research scholarship to do field work in Costa Rica, and subsequently earned her master’s degree in environmental management from Duke University.

She served several terms on the Ramsey city council and was elected mayor in 2012, a position she stepped down from in May 2018. She is an avid outdoors person, spending family weekends fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, camping, and hiking.
« Last Edit: January 01/08/19, 01:15:46 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
You gotta say what you mean by "handle the job."

There are a lot of competing interests and priorities in this state - natural resource wise.  And there ain't no way to make everyone happy.

Mining Jobs vs. Environment
Agriculture vs. Wetlands
Walleye Fishery Management
CWD Eradication
Invasive Species Control

Good luck to her - and us.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Just read we are getting a new Big Game Supervisor also. Her name is Barbara Keller.
mm

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
What the heck does a Big Game commish do?!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
whats your thoughts on the new commisioner......this  sarah stronmen?????? seen she was invilved with the friends of the BWCA. that scares me a bit, but seems like she has a respectable background to be able to handle the job????????????

Thanks fur posting dis question Glenn :happy1: :banghead:

Never heard of her BUTTTTTT! :doah:  A while ago I posted info about all the changes dat are starting to be implemented In da BWCA that are leaning towards cutting back on visitors ability to get permits to cross into da BWCA. Dis falls right into da plans of "The Friends Of The Boundary Waters" agenda. it just so happens da she was a member of The Friends :doah: I had also mentioned in my recent post da more and more tree huggers are gradually infiltrating the U. S. forest service. Now this also happens in da MN. DNR.

:angry2:
« Last Edit: January 01/08/19, 04:27:43 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I was worried about that.  So she does have an agenda.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Looked at her FaceBook page.  Looks like she kills fish but an't seen no Deer blood pictures!  :thumbs:

Hope we aren't just doing some Feel Good assignment instead of the best man person for the job!  :confused:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 01/08/19, 06:59:38 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Dat ain't no fishin' gear she's wearin'.......... :huh:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Photo op!  :bs:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Yep, not like those Friday/Monday mornin' gals.
 :sleazy:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya she would never make it on here. 

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 :popcorn:    Missouri's deer and elk supervisor answers Minnesota's call of the wild.

Minnesota's deer, elk and moose program for the DNR. She starts Feb. 1Barbara Keller will leave the Missouri Department of Conservation to run Minnesota's deer, elk and moose program for the DNR. She starts Feb. 1

A native Texan who first studied wildlife biology in Wisconsin and longed to return to the North is Minnesota’s new big game program supervisor with authority over deer, elk and moose. Barbara Keller, 38, will start Feb. 1 at the Department of Natural Resources. She has a Ph.D. and 12 years of professional experience in wildlife management, research and diseases, including leadership of deer and elk management for the state of Missouri since 2016. She answered questions this week in a telephone interview from her office in Columbia, Mo.

A: I grew up in the city of Fort Worth, Texas, and I’m one of those rare people with “adult onset hunting.” I enjoy deer hunting and wild turkey hunting. I usually hunt alone, and it’s been a struggle in some cases to teach myself. I don’t own hunting property. For deer, I partake in rifle and muzzleloader hunting and recently acquired a compound bow. In Minnesota, I’d like to experience duck, grouse and pheasant hunting … ice fishing too!
"" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="width: 1px; height: 1px; display: none;"

Q: What attracted you to Minnesota?

A: I fell in love with the northwoods Glenn 57  :wowza: when I moved from Texas after high school to study natural resources at Northland College in Ashland, Wis. Minnesota Glenn 57 really has a great abundance of natural areas, including the Boundary Waters, sites for cross-country skiing, hunting, hiking and fishing.
Q: What’s your experience with chronic wasting disease?
A: CWD was detected in deer in north-central Missouri in 2012. It’s since been detected in many other areas of the state, but in Missouri we were early to recognize the outbreaks and are not seeing high prevalence rates.
Q: Does Missouri use tactics similar to Minnesota to fight CWD?
A: Yes. We do a lot of testing and we cull local herds when we find a CWD-positive deer.
Q: Have Missouri hunters and landowners accepted the strategy?
A: The way we manage the disease is a tough pill for hunters to swallow. We ask them to sacrifice tradition for the benefit of future generations. We’ve been pretty successful getting cooperation, but it’s always a struggle. The most difficult part is communications. It’s a very complicated disease.
Q: What will be your first priority in Minnesota?
A: Implementing the statewide deer management plan that was completed in 2018. That means improving communications and transparency with the public. Certainly not everyone will agree with our management decisions, but we will make every effort to engage stakeholders, share data and show how we use it. In Missouri, we publish a deer population status report every year, and we continuously update our website to show harvest results, county by county. I’ll also research whether there is room to improve Minnesota’s deer population model and we will soon develop a statewide deer committee.
Q: How important is deer hunting in Missouri?
A: We have about 500,000 hunters, or 6 percent of the population. It’s very important to Missourians and the Missouri culture. Participation in deer hunting has declined in other areas of the country, but not in Missouri. Hunters harvested more than 280,500 whitetails in 2018. (Minnesota’s harvest was less than 200,000.)
Q: Besides CWD, what challenges did you face in Missouri?
A: The Missouri deer population was hit hard in 2012 by drought and hemorrhagic disease. It’s an infectious disease that cuts into deer populations and the herd had to be rebuilt. It’s still coming back. The degree of damage can be similar to losses suffered by whitetails during severe Minnesota winters.
Q: There’s a serious effort in Minnesota to start a third elk herd. What’s your experience with elk?
A: I was Missouri’s elk biologist before being promoted to supervise deer and elk management statewide. My doctorate degree from the University of Missouri is in wildlife science and my post-doctorate work revolved around the restoration of elk in the Ozarks. I helped supervise the development of regulations for what will be Missouri’s first elk hunting season (possibly in 2020).
Q: What other big game have you studied?
A: Bison, pronghorn, elk, mule deer and white-tailed deer populations in Custer State Park in South Dakota and bighorn sheep in Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado.
« Last Edit: January 01/11/19, 08:30:41 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :pouty: :pouty: :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea i have that gift with women!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
there ya go dreamin again!!! :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
"including leadership of deer and elk management for the state of Missouri since 2016"

So no Moose experience and probably no experience managing our other little friends that will literately Eat all her efforts with the others!   :deer: :bambi:  :moose105:

Welcome to Minnesota Honey!  :smoking:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
like someone said time will tell,anyone would be better than the moron that hung his hat and did nothing but kiss ass/tribes.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Whats a poor administrator to do when the laws are written, the courts are sympathetic, and the legislators are in their pockets?