Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Is it just me, or the area?  (Read 3780 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have been feeding the birds for quite a few years now....and here is what I found (for my area)

They only eat, black sunflower seeds, nyjer seeds, suet and finch blend.
The finch blend, gets picked through, and most ends up on the ground for turkeys and deer.

I have tried the "country blend" (nothing eats it) I have tried safflower seeds (nothing eats it)
cracked corn (nothing eats it) Oats (nothing eats it)

What do you feed your birds?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I found that a long time ago too. I started just feeding them black oil sunflower seeds. Berry treat suet and I save deer talo to feed them in the winter. Seems like when it warms up they stop hitting the talo, but they sure like it when it is cold.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i only feed them sunflower seeds and thistle/nijer seed. also suet cakes. cracked corn brings sparrows and starlings.

i mix my own cardinal mix by adding safflower seed to sunflower seeds. cardinals and red breasted grosbeaks like safflower. most any other blend brings undesireable type birds!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Same here.  Only black sunflowers in the feeder.  Suet blocks in that feeder and nijer for finches in that feeder. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I found that a long time ago too. I started just feeding them black oil sunflower seeds. Berry treat suet and I save deer talo to feed them in the winter. Seems like when it warms up they stop hitting the talo, but they sure like it when it is cold.
i have never had luck with the talo from deer..... they never went to it. beef talo yea. but thats up north so birds arent near as fussy!!!!!!!!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
When we lived in Becker they would eat it there. Mostly wood peckers. Like I said they only like it in the colder weather. I put it in a suet cage.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Doesn't tallow and suet give them carbs for heat or something?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Doesn't tallow and suet give them carbs for heat or something?
yep...........just like that extra wide midsection of yours!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

mikey sent me an email daring me!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked: :angel: :angel: :doah:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: Always someone's turn in the barrel around here seems like.  :doah:

Have 3 feeders with black oil sunflower seed, 4 with nyjer, 3 horizontal (bop!) suet cake feeders & put out a couple ears of corn on a couple spikes for the squirrel although the blue jays and red-bellied woodpeckers like them too. Been experimenting with some methods of limiting sparrows & starlings. Appears to be working out. Not wasting nearly as much seed or going thru as many suet cakes as we used to. I didn't buy it to feed them.  :banghead:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe you need to build a wall to keep them out.   :rotflmao:

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
My best luck has been with a flat uncovered feeder that I made out of 1x3, some 1/2 inch hardware cloth and some screen over that.  I use Joe's Mix from the Wild Bird store, brown safflower, and whole peanuts from the fleet farm. I also have a 2 inch stick that has holes drilled part way through and I fill those with beef suet.
Here's a link with suggestions.  https://wildbirdstore.com/resources/selecting-seed-and-feeders/

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I have the world's sturdiest bird feeder.  Actually made to hold the well pressure tank.  2x6 treated top and treated 4x4 legs.   

Throw some sunflower seeds every mornign... get cleaned up by deer and bunnies over night.