Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ask a conservation officer  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 :reporter; Ask a Conservation Officer:

Plowing ice roads across snowmobile trails :scratch:

Q: Is there a law against the very dangerous practice of plowing an ice road across a staked snowmobile trail on a lake and not marking it? The banks are very difficult to see especially on overcast days and crossing them at speed is very dangerous.

:coffee:
A: There is no law prohibiting plowing snow on ice even if it crosses a marked snowmobile trail. However, this does bring up an excellent opportunity to discuss courtesy to lake users participating in activities you may not. If you are plowing roads on the lake, leaving periodic markers (biodegradable) is a huge help to snowmobilers who may be crossing the lake, or when possible choose a route that doesn't cross a marked trail. Those banks of snow can become rock hard, :tut: and difficult to see for other users crossing the lake.

:angry2: ....
Another conflict is between people spearfishing and snowmobiles. To make the large hole in the ice a large chunk has to be removed. It is a great help when people push that block of ice back under the water when they are done instead of leaving it on the ice. If it can't be put back underwater, it helps other lake users to mark the ice so nobody hits it with a snowmobile or vehicle.

:popcorn: ..
Conversely, a little courtesy by snowmobilers can go a long way, too. Staying far away from people angling or cross country skiing helps the image of snowmobilers in the eyes of those who may not understand the sport. If you can't get far away, at least slowing down for that short bit of time helps greatly. We all have a great opportunity to enjoy the outdoors in Minnesota, and we can share it with just a little forethought.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Those open spear holes are a danger to kiddies, sleds, and drunken idjits, too.  :rolleyes:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Those open spear holes are a danger to kiddies, sleds, and drunken idjits, too.  :rolleyes:

a good person spearing will mark his hole after he leaves the lake with cat tails or branches.. 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh, the poor kitties!!!!! :shocked: What would PETA say?!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

a good person spearing will mark his hole after he leaves the lake with cat tails or branches..
depends on the lake i spear.....cabin lake i push the block in and dont mark........there is little to no traffic on it. a busier lake i always try to mark. its a given i push the block in or totally bust it up.

OK now..........marked snowmobile trail on a lake?????????????? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:to the best of my knowledge it wont be a grant in aide trail. i dont believe grant in aids cross lakes, back in the day when i snowmobiled alot.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Oh, the poor kitties!!!!! :shocked: What would PETA say?!

Dat not nice! :tut:

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I know! I think orange flags would be MUCH better!  ;)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Mikey started it.  ;)
My gripe is the garbage left on the ice. And some fools leave their house
4x4's tossed out on the ice, then they freeze in, it'll snow, blow, and cover them. Then ya hit one driving across lake in yer truck...  not to mention the fools that drive 30 mph across the ice, talk about making an under ice pressure wave... :mad1:
« Last Edit: January 01/14/19, 09:26:41 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

depends on the lake i spear.....cabin lake i push the block in and dont mark........there is little to no traffic on it. a busier lake i always try to mark. its a given i push the block in or totally bust it up.

OK now..........marked snowmobile trail on a lake?????????????? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:to the best of my knowledge it wont be a grant in aide trail. i dont believe grant in aids cross lakes, back in the day when i snowmobiled alot.

There are grant in aid snowmobile trails on the lake up here(Lake of the Woods). There are also on Lake Vermillion, Kabatogama, Crane and others in the arrowhead.
Hey look your bobber is up!