Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Wheel house  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it's time to purchase probably a used wheel house, the only thing I've never even fished out of one. I've walked through a few but I'm sure they all differ from one way to another. Was thinking an 8×16 since most of time it will be the wife , pooch and I with 6 holes perhaps. Any insight fellas on what to look for? What to stay away from? Brand? There's a few on the market now but might wait until the season is over for perhaps more and a better deal.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Been in and fished a lot. MY picks are Yetti, King Crow, and Franks RV. (Ultra shack) He makes them right on site. Look at the frames, Boob.....stay away from welded l-frames, go with heavier (Forgot the ratings) tubular galvanzied and anodized, too much cheap sprayed crap out there with rust already formed beneath., and check the AXLE RATINGS....VERY important. Too many lightweight axles and welded L-stockers that have tons of flex, and shake stuff loose. Looks at some do the "Highway sway" with weak, inadequate frames. Then add bouncing across rough ice to the equation...Check interior walls and whats under them....many have 1'' fiberglass with plastic over end, that condenses and runs down behind walls. Look at windows; "trailer" type are worthless, they allow cold and condensation penetration, freezing shut, and condensing behind walls. Check roof membrane and make sure there are side and corner overlaps, with J-framing endstock. Make sure there's an adequate size good brand VENTED furnace, like an Empire or suburban, because a non-vented will throw combustion moisture right back into house.Make sure there are roof vents that function and you can open for constant air supply. Good wiring, proper breaker fuses, CO detectors and fire detectors.  That's my .02 Check the hitch and crank-down mechanism AND wires for any damage, as in frayed wires, etc. It should raise and lower smoothly. An LP tank protected enclosure (NOT inside) helps a lot too. (Slush guard) As does a good insulated steel entry door with rubber molding so it won't freeze shut....on the side, not the front. After towing, it'll be plastered with snow and ice and stuck shut. I won't mention the bad brands, lotsa popular ones out there that are plain junk. Start reading and you'll find 'em...good luck! That's my 02 from experience; hope it help ya , boob.
« Last Edit: January 01/17/19, 04:38:08 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Been in and fished a lot. MY picks are Yetti, King Crow, and Franks RV. He makes them right on site. Look at the frames, Boob.....stay away from welded l-frames, go with heavier (Forgot the ratings) tubular galvanzied and anodized, too much cheap sprayed crap out there with rust already formed beneath., and check the AXLE RATINGS....VERY important. Too many lightweight axles and welded L-stockers that have tons of flex, and shake stuff loose. Looks at some do the "Highway sway" with weak, inadequate frames. Then add bouncing across rough ice to the equation...Check interior walls and whats under them....many have 1'' fiberglass with plastic over end, that condenses and runs down behind walls. Look at windows; "trailer" type are worthless, they allow cold and condensation penetration, freezing shut, and condensing behind walls. Check roof membrane and make sure there are side and corner overlaps, with J-framing endstock. Make sure there's an adequate size good brand VENTED furnace, like an Empire or suburban, because a non-vented will throw combustion moisture right back into house.Make sure there are roof vents that function and you can open for constant air supply. Good wiring, proper breaker fuses, CO detectors and fire detectors.  THt's my .02 Check the hitch and crank-down mechanism AND wires for any damage, as in frayed wires, etc. It should raise and lower smoothly. An LP tank protected enclosure (NOT inside) helps a lot too. (Slush guard) As does a good insulated steel entry door with rubber molding so it won't freeze shut. I won't mention the bad brands, lotsa popular ones out there that are plain junk. Start reading and you'll find 'em...good luck!
cripes!!!! :banghead: :banghead: ya forgot to tell him to look to make sure its got holes in da floor for his fishing lines!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: :pouty: :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
He asked for help, and I offered it.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That's great advice reb. No spear chucker hole in this one glenn. :rotflmao:. I did hear a guy at work say that all tge single pane windows like to leak. The frame is a huge deal, I'll hafta to look closely at that.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
He asked for help, and I offered it.
you crabby pants today???????? :pouty: it was a joke!!!!!!! :confused: ya about built it for him and was mighty thourough i'll admit.  :happy1: so i thunk i'd throw a dig your way. :cry: :cry: :shocked: :shocked: :angry:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That's great advice reb. No spear chucker hole in this one glenn. :rotflmao:. I did hear a guy at work say that all tge single pane windows like to leak. The frame is a huge deal, I'll hafta to look closely at that.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

They do, boob, bad. Freeze up solid on ya. Would you put them cheapies in yer house? No. Out there, ya don't want 'em, either. And angle iron frames are garbage. Four  16' pieces of angle iron with angle crossbraces, light tube axles, and 4,000 lbs riding on top of it? Can you say twist-o-flex? Just like the watch band. Not for me!
« Last Edit: January 01/17/19, 05:15:48 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Boober, I know you have your place up by Norway, but would consider a framper type setup? Use it for camping, overnight rooster trips, things like that. Just an idea.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

what happened?!

« Last Edit: January 01/17/19, 06:54:20 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Boober, I know you have your place up by Norway, but would consider a framper type setup? Use it for camping, overnight rooster trips, things like that. Just an idea.
Yep, anything.  Even next trip to the coast would consider bringing just to use and drop the hotel fees. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
There's some converted RV motorhomes out there that are ice fishing friendly....with drop down "sleeve' holes....that might fly for ya! My buddy had one....nice!!! Just a lot heavier than a regular one. Gotta wait for good thick ice, is all.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: January 01/17/19, 06:54:53 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I think it's time to purchase probably a used wheel house, the only thing I've never even fished out of one. I've walked through a few but I'm sure they all differ from one way to another. Was thinking an 8×16 since most of time it will be the wife , pooch and I with 6 holes perhaps. Any insight fellas on what to look for? What to stay away from? Brand? There's a few on the market now but might wait until the season is over for perhaps more and a better deal.

First time for me this week fishing out of a true " Wheel house" on upper Red. We used a friends house that was stored at JR's and we got the whole view of what it is to own a wheel house from set up to tear down.
1. I believe the house we were using was a 18ft Ice castle. Not sure the model
2. First thing I noticed was how heavy it was! Not a issue at this point as the ice is plenty thick but early ice would be an issue.
3. Set up was pretty straight forward but we noticed right away that the more level the spot the better. otherwise blocking and banking need more attention the more uneven the set up.
4. we brought two 20lbs tanks of propane and the house owner supplied us with his 3000 generator. We ran the generator sparingly at first but after seeing how much propane we were burning through, we decided to run the generator more and run an electric heater during the day.
5. the floor was cold all the time. I would look for something that has serious floor isolation. The house was banked pretty good but still cold floor.
6. the holes were froze over both mornings. The second day was the worst. woke up to totally froze over holes and rattle reel lines frozen in. Thin layer but still no chance of catching fish if the line is froze in.
7. when we tore down the house, cranking up the house was a pain. Not horrible but if I were to spend the money on a wheel house, I would go with the electric crank up and down.. (May have other issues with those that I do not know about??) but for ease of use, I would have to think they are better.
8. The house itself was pretty awesome! comfortable all around. Beds were great. layout was pretty good. It seemed to hold the heat OK and the furnace was on top of it all the time. The house we used did not have a sink or wash area, did not have a ton of storage and the cook stove top was pretty small but very usable..

Also remember, you don't have to use every available hole in the house. I have always looked at houses and thought, Why would they put a hole there?  Just remember, you may or may not use that hole depending on how many people you have or how you are set up.. I guess what I'm saying is, don't let an odd placed hole turn you off to the house.

Couple other things I never took into account was having to have some sort of power source for the house. The generator we used was a good quiet one but I'm sure not cheap. Also, driving around the lot I seen a lot of houses with bowed wheels/axles. make sure the drive train is able to hold up the weight of the house.

Maybe if you have a friend with a wheel house you can ask them to tag along and let you do the set up to tear down just so you get a feel of everything from set up to tear down..
Where did I catch all these fish you ask??? right in the lip....

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ive.owend.a.21.ft.v.modle..for.5.years, absolutley.love.it. my advise is to.follow what reb said.  galvanized frame, hyrolic lift system is musts for us older dudes, .get the rv edition, ull wish u had wen u dont. no my big advise, go.shopping sit in all sizes shpes and modles, pay attention to little things, craftsmamship, outlet placing, i dont have them wher id really like them,.take.a note.pad with yu. what u like and what u dont like. the fi d the company u want to.work with and have them build it to your  specs
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Great read picklefarmer!! And everyone else. As of right now the only thing holding me back is storage. Sure I could leave it at the cabin in the off season but it would have to be in the driveway during the winter, which wouldn't be the end of the world since come thick enough ice itll be on it. Yep boar I'll have to keep notes, photos of what we went thru.  Thinking on looking at some new ones this weekend then keep things in mind while looking at used.It sure would be nice to have my own to bring to a boar inspired palooza!!
« Last Edit: January 01/18/19, 04:52:45 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Boob, iffn ya mount a big swing-out grill/smoker on the back, ya could hit all the shows, and make money besides selling "boober burgers" and "Remi blackened ribs" ... :tongue: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: January 01/18/19, 06:43:53 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
bobb, u wil.definately want to use it in the summer, and being that look at the larger ones. but then ull need a 3/4 truck.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
bobb, u wil.definately want to use it in the summer, and being that look at the larger ones. but then ull need a 3/4 truck.
well I think he drives a dodge...…………...so there is that!!!!!! :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

sorry reb made me!!!!!! :smoking: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya ya ya.................. :rolleyes:   His Dodge can handle it.
« Last Edit: January 01/19/19, 05:40:16 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
well I think he drives a dodge...…………...so there is that!!!!!! :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:happy1: At least it's NOT a chevy.   :rolleyes: :laugh: Reb's busy today, so I'm just helpin him out. ;) :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:happy1: At least it's NOT a chevy.   :rolleyes: :laugh: Reb's busy today, so I'm just helpin him out. ;) :rotflmao:
yea busy...…..not. rumor has it the neighbor lady is shovelin off his deck!!!!!!!!! :tut: :tut: :rotflmao: