Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: News to me!!!  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
 And some of these tow truck clowns are better at safety???!!  :confused:

Ask a Trooper: Why can't a friend tow my vehicle out of the the ditch?

Sgt. Troy Christianson Jan 25, 2019 Updated 13 min ago 

Question: During the last snow storm I went in the ditch and got stuck. I wanted my friend to come with a tow rope and pull me out. The officer that was there said that was not allowed. What is the deal with that?

Answer: It is illegal in Minnesota for the public to use the highway or right-of-way if it may cause a danger to other motorists.

Generally speaking, a tow rope requires the tow vehicle get momentum in order to pull the other vehicle out of the snow, mud, etc. This could send either or both vehicles out of control and into traffic. Busy highways, poor road conditions, weather, limited visibility, and many other safety factors create too much risk.

It is important to leave these types of situations to professionals who are equipped with emergency lights as well as cables and winches that allow for control and stability of the vehicle’s removal in a safe and timely matter.

Law enforcement works crashes, spin outs and other incidents to help protect the people involved, their property and all of the motoring public.

We don’t want to see good Samaritans get hurt along the way.

You can avoid a ticket — and a crash — if you simply buckle up, drive at safe speeds, pay attention and always drive sober. Help us drive Minnesota Toward Zero Deaths.

« Last Edit: January 01/25/19, 12:13:51 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
News to me too. The nanny state is alive and well. We saw that write up in the office here the other day & shook our heads. I've got a hook so I can latch onto & fish small cars out of the ditch if I have to. That's limited to the wife, friends, maybe a damsel in distress. If you're a guy & a stranger or a dumb kid, you oughta know better so yer on yer own. I might use the tractor too if it's close to home. If someone can't see that thing lit up like a Christmas tree they probably shouldn't be out driving. Sure, a running start as the officer suggests would likely result in lots of bad things happening. Likely as not I'll use a heavy duty chain first and if I can't get close enough then maybe the heavy duty strap. And unless I want to see how much broken plastic I can make fly I still probably won't make a running start at it. If I can't get 'em out by pulling gently then they need to seek professional help. I can see what they're talking about on busy stretches of road but on co. blacktops around here? Seriously.   
« Last Edit: January 01/25/19, 12:32:48 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Me too. We saw that write up in the office here the other day & shook our heads. I've got a hook so I can latch onto & fish small cars out of the ditch if I have to. That's limited to the wife, friends, maybe a damsel in distress. If you're a guy & a stranger or a dumb kid, you oughta know better so yer on yer own. Sure, a running start as the officer suggests would likely result in lots of bad things happening. Likely as not I'll use a heavy duty chain first and if I can't get close enough then maybe the heavy duty strap. And unless I want to see how much broken plastic I can make fly I still probably won't make a running start at it. If I can't get 'em out by pulling gently then they need to seek professional help. I can see what they're talking about on busy stretches of road but on co. blacktops around here? Seriously.   
sounds pretty sekist to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: thing is nowadays the way cars are built its tough to find something to hook up to uless your driving one of rebs old junkers!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hence the J hook.  You can generally find places to hook. The thing that sucks is getting under it to hook it up. Experience speaking... :happy1:
« Last Edit: January 01/25/19, 12:35:42 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hence the J hook.  You can generally find places to hook. The thing that sucks is getting under it to hook it up. Experience speaking... :happy1:
well i tend to cover my butt...........the owner of the vehicle gets to hook up to their vehicle.

and honestly i pulled way more vehicles outta mud holes back in the woods then on any road. some of them city people just dont realize you shouldnt drive threw a mud puddle up north that mostly clay!!!!!! :crazy: :crazy:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Another Minnysoda morphism. We really do have some asinine laws here. I say screw that law, until they start licensing the tow truck drivers with a safety/towing certificate. I've seen some around here that're dumber than a home-made radio. Iffen there weren't so may Chebbie trucks trying to drive in snow, the Fords and Dodges wouldn't haveta be pullin' so many out.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
well i tend to cover my butt...........the owner of the vehicle gets to hook up to their vehicle.

and honestly i pulled way more vehicles outta mud holes back in the woods then on any road. some of them city people just dont realize you shouldnt drive threw a mud puddle up north that mostly clay!!!!!! :crazy: :crazy:

Ayup, Glenn's Minnysoda towing to da rescue.   :laughroll:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 01/25/19, 12:52:53 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Another Minnysoda morphism. We really do have some asinine laws here. I say screw that law, until they start licensing the tow truck drivers with a safety/towing certificate. I've seen some around here that're dumber than a home-made radio. Iffen there weren't so may Chebbie trucks trying to drive in snow, the Fords and Dodges wouldn't haveta be pullin' so many out.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

That's even PC Reb!  :rotflmao:

The other thing is trying to get someone there these days within a reasonable amount of time. I haven't called AAA since forever. I know some people who have recently tho, the wife included. I got an @ss chewing out of that deal when she waited two hours in Albert Lea proper for someone to show up when the car didn't commence. The process is no longer call the local guy and he turns it in to AAA, no questions asked. It's dink around with some dispatcher located out of state who knows where and they need a street address. Who the hell is going to know the street address in some alley or mudhole in the woods someplace? Had a friend who locked his keys in the truck at Fleet Farm in Owatonna and called AAA. He has a short fuse to begin with. After dinking around for a half hour trying to explain to them where he was, he gave up & I gave him a ride home. Then he got his @ss chewed by his wife!  :rotflmao:   
« Last Edit: January 01/25/19, 01:36:28 PM by Dotch »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Never did believe in that AAA carp either. Get a good insurance policy, (To cover the call out) always carry a spare key, have plenty of air in yer spare tire and gas in yer tank, know how to use the jack, and take care of yer stuff, and ya should rarely ever have to call someone. If ya do, call a local auto shop where ya wanta get it fixed anyway. I always carried one of those small phone books with yellow pages in the truck just in case.
« Last Edit: January 01/25/19, 01:41:43 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
my fob is in my pocket. not on my key ring..  can always open the doors... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
And always keep yer keys (house, work, boat, etc) SEPARATE from vehicle keys. Don't ask how I know.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 01/25/19, 02:34:38 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've pulled out more cars and trucks than I can even remember.  Always worked great for me.  OR if they were in too deep then a tow truck was needed.  And I will do it again if it is in a safe place.  Like anywhere but in the cities. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Man times have changed I guess,  not sure how many I either hooked up to or pushed bumper to bumper to  got em out, with the law on hand. They always said go ahead and get them out of harm's way to keep things moving. But then again with all the liability crap going these days ones just better off asking there all right and if they have it handled and move on..

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think they like to send work to certain tow companies too.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i have triple aaa. yea ya need to go through them, i learned the hard way. but when i hit that deer with my truck, i reported it to the state patrol. i asked to have a certain auto repair shop in deer river come tow it, and they did. when i filled out the AAA reimbursement form, it asked who called the tow company..........i replied with the state patrol...........and i got reimbursed in full from AAA!!!!!! :smoking: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Prolly why they ain't sending out yer new DL.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Amongst other things... :rotflmao:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya ever think Glenn regrets giving himself the handle "Smurf"?  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope!! What else would you clowns talk about. :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh....we'd find something! Say...where'dya 'spose Mikey is?  :whistling:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya ever think Glenn regrets giving himself the handle "Smurf"?  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
and I wouldn't get lawn ornaments mailed to me. :banghead: :banghead: :super smiley: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope, or .............uh, never mind. Dum de dum dum.....hehe.....

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

been right here all along, went HH and Jim had a good time...  today I'm just watching!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
and I wouldn't get lawn ornaments mailed to me. :banghead: :banghead: :super smiley: :rotflmao:

If you liked those, wait till you get a load of your next "delivery"... :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

If you liked those, wait till you get a load of your next "delivery"... :rotflmao:
:bonk: :bonk: :party1: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Dotch, quiet!!!!!! Dang!!!! :tut:  ;)