Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Lead still a problem  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
By John Weiss, former outdoor newspaper editor here. Great guy, we've chatted a lot.

I was looking for deer in Houston County last week when I got a call about an injured bald eagle.

The DNR wanted my help in transporting it to the Raptor Center on the University of Minnesota campus. The plan was for me to meet Tyler Ramaker, the new Department of Natural Resources conservation officer for the area, in Houston. I was to take the bird to Rochester, where another DNR official would take it to a friend near Northfield who would take it to the center.

Oddly, earlier in the day a bald eagle had flown nearly parallel to my car as I drove along a Fillmore County road. I had admired its head and talons. But as I drove to make the pick-up, I was worried. My first thought was that bird had lead poisoning.

It was a logical supposition.

According to the Raptor Center, there is an influx of lead-poisoned eagles beginning in mid-November and continuing through winter. The hypothesis is that wounded, unrecovered deer and gut piles left in the field by hunters could be the source of lead; eagles are known to scavenge heavily on deer remains.

Jamie Clarke, a certified veterinary technician at the center, said eagles only need to ingest a few lead fragments the size of a pencil point to weaken them to the point that they can’t fly or eat. The lead also causes other fatal complications. Clarke said that most lead-poisoned birds taken to the center die.

When I met Ramaker, he handed me a tote with the eagle in it. One look told me the bird was in deep trouble. It had greenish crud coming from its beak and greenish stuff on its white head feathers; its head lolled like it was drugged.

When I drove to Rochester, the eagle made weak noises, more like a chirping of a sparrow or warbler than the powerful shrieks of an eagle.

Then it was silent.

Near Rochester, it made more noise. I passed the eagle off in Rochester and hoped for the best. I later emailed the center to find out its fate.

The reply: “We are very sad to tell you that this adult female bald eagle could not be saved, as its degree of lead toxicity was too severe. The eagle was displaying classic neurological symptoms which were consistent with the high blood levels. The blood lead levels were 8 times higher than the treatable limit. At these very high lead levels, there is permanent cardiac and nervous system damage. In cases like these, the kindest act to prevent future suffering is humane euthanasia.”

This sad outcome has further solidified my decision to switch to copper slugs in 2011, and it made me decide to look for more ways to phase out lead.

I’ve had no problems killing deer with copper slugs. Yes, copper costs a bit more, but I don’t shoot all that many times.

I’m now going to shoot steel when hunting pheasants and rabbits, and I’m investigating shooting non-toxic shot for turkeys. The cost isn’t that much more, especially compared to high-end lead loads, and I’ll leave a bit less lead on the ground. It’s a small thing, but small things can add up.

I know eagles have made a huge comeback after DDT nearly wiped them out decades ago, so it’s not that there’s a shortage of eagles. But to me, another dead eagle is dead wrong --especially if I can do something about it.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Absolutely 100% true.  Every one should switch to solid copper bullets for deer hunting. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Everyone in our hunting party has switched.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
There's really no reason not to...none.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I pour my own lead conicals and balls for my muzzleloaders. At the velocities I use them at (between 1200 and 1500 fps) they do not fracture, they have as close to 100 percent weight retention as you can get even when hitting the shoulder. I love wildlife but I have no plans to change my bullets because I really don't believe they are doing the harm that lead in centerfire rifles does. People just need to use good judgement, let's keep the government out of this please.
Might want to take a look at how many eagles the wind turbines are killing!   :police:
« Last Edit: February 02/04/19, 01:38:24 PM by roony »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Seriously, I've always wondered, since no one shoots deer in the guts, yet they say the gut piles left behind have the lead in them, that the eagles pick out. So how come it doesn't kill the crows that I bet there are before the eagles...and the other varmints eating it? There's really lead in the guts? I've always found that hard to believe...kinda like the lead sinker thing killing eagles...couldn't possibly be the fish that are dead from the lead poisoning spewed out by the factories, and eaten by the eagles, could it? :scratch:
« Last Edit: February 02/04/19, 03:10:00 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
You shoot an animal and the bullet stays in the animal and it dies without anyone finding it.  The eagles will find it.  I've shot ducks and when I cleaned them I've found lead shot in their gizzards.  People that eat wild game have a higher level of lead in their systems.  Our hunting party doesn't want to be the cause of our kids getting lead poisoning. 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

I heard Davy Crockett and James Bowie died of Lead poisoning.  :cry:

But, it wasn't from the 100s of game they shot and eat. It was at the Alamo!   :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm ready to switch.  When cleaning deer this year I found bullet jacket fragments in the skin layer on the side opposite the entry wound.  I saw no signs of the lead core and no exit perforations.  The bullet must have fragg'ed on entry.  Who knows where the lead went.  In this case it was just the ribs that were affected.  But with a different shot angle lead could go anywhere.

Also, I had no idea that eagles are so vulnerable to lead poisoning.  And who knows, maybe crows are susceptible too, but no one pays any attention to a dead crow in the ditch.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Also, I had no idea that eagles are so vulnerable to lead poisoning.  And who knows, maybe crows are susceptible too, but no one pays any attention to a dead crow in the ditch.

Well, evidently large mammals like Coyotes & Wolves aren't!   :scratch:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
If the come to take my lead I will let them have it!  :angry2:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
If the come to take my lead I will let them have it!  :angry2:

Great! We can use less Coyotes and Wolves!  :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch: apparently i swiched and didnt even know it. didnt notice a difference either, but with my marksman skills and a 30-06 220 grain bullet they dont go far!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I figger yer always safe..... :rotflmao:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!