Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: WSI is a game of inches and days.  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
    Inside the Outdoors: WSI is a game of inches and days.

Article.....
By Mike Rahn on Feb 6, 2019 at 6:00 a.m.

If you asked a stranger on the street what a "winter severity index" might measure, the answers could be pretty creative. Perhaps it would measure the number of Minnesota schools that close for a snow or extreme cold event. Or the number of roadside assistance calls for tows and jump-starts during the recent "polar vortex" that descended on our state from the Arctic.

In fact, the winter severity index—or WSI—is a measure used by wildlife managers as they anticipate the effects of winter weather conditions on wildlife. And, in Minnesota—not surprisingly—the concern of wildlife managers is especially directed toward whitetail deer, the bread-and-butter big game animal of our state. Among the threats to whitetail deer—threats that include predation, disease and collision with our cars, trucks and SUVs—winter can be the most devastating, as well as highly unpredictable.

On Sunday, during the brief warmup after we experienced some of the coldest temperatures in a generation, my Labrador retriever and I took advantage of the pleasant weather and took a long afternoon walk. Our route took us through a forested stretch where tall pines and spruce make the light subdued on even a sunny day. Now and then a deer trail crossed, as evidenced by heart-shaped prints in the skim of snow on the road shoulder. Then, typically, those trails plunged into the drifts among the trees.

I could tell the snow was deep without having to wade out there under those stately conifers. I knew because a deer trail in those places was not defined by distinct, separate footsteps. Instead, the tracks were connected by the drag of the deer's forelegs as it took each step, and in some places, the deer's chest plowing a shallow trough as it moved through the deep snow.

When deer are forced to fight deep snow, they expend more energy when they travel to feed, or—less often, but more critical—they flee a pursuing predator. As we all know, energy conservation is critical to the wildlife that stay here with us and endure the rigors of a Minnesota winter. Their chances of surviving to see the coming spring are greatly improved if they have enough to eat, and can limit the energy they must expend.

So how, exactly, is this winter severity index calculated? Wildlife managers count the days when snow depth equals or exceeds 15 inches, and the number of days when the temperature drops below zero. The two numbers—days with 15 or more inches or snow, and days below zero—are added together. If the total does not exceed 100, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources considers it a mild winter. If it reaches 180 or more it's considered severe, when some deer will almost certainly die of winter's effects. And of course, there is a middle ground between these extremes.
One of these measures, low temperature, has an effect on virtually all wildlife in winter. No matter how you slice it, low temperatures require all creatures to expend more energy to maintain critical body temperature. Snow depth, on the other hand, is closely linked to the survival of deer. Let's face it: the top wildlife management priority in Minnesota is the whitetail. So it's not much of a surprise that the WSI measures a weather factor that directly affects deer survival.

When snow gets deep enough, deer will "yard up," limiting their movements to an area where they trample the snow down enough to make travel easier. But a consequence is that the food supply in this restricted area can eventually be depleted. If snow depth doesn't diminish soon enough with warming temperatures, deer can face starvation. Or, if not starvation, then weakened condition. This can result in failure to bear healthy fawns, and greater vulnerability to predators, like gray wolves and even coyotes.

It's ironic that the same deep snow that can threaten the survival of deer can be a benefit to some wildlife. One obvious example is an upland game bird that shares the northern wooded habitat with the whitetail. That creature, of course, is the ruffed grouse. While some songbirds that remain with us in winter will "hole up" within cavities in trees, and pheasants will take shelter in dense cattail swamps, the ruffed grouse will use deep snow to its advantage.

A grouse will burrow completely under the surface of soft snow, whose insulating properties can yield a temperature that is 20, 30 or more degrees warmer than the air above the snow. This allows grouse to conserve energy and spend less time foraging to find food. This, in turn, means less exposure to predators and harsh winter elements.

So far this winter, almost the entire state is considered to be down in the mild WSI range, with 50 or fewer days having temperatures below zero or a snow depth of 15 or more inches. Only the far Northeast corner of the state, the region known as the Arrowhead, has local areas with an index of 80 to 90. But there could easily be 60 or more days—reaching into early April—before snow depths in the northern part of the state decline appreciably. Remembering that both snow depth and sub-zero temperatures contribute to the WSI, it's way too early to say there will be no parts of the state that end the winter with severe readings.

It's ironic that snowy winter conditions that favor the ruffed grouse—not to mention Minnesota skiers and snowmobilers—will in contrast always pose a potential threat to our premier big game animal, the whitetail deer. Which brings to mind that favorite Minnesota saying: "A lot of people talk about the weather, but nobody does anything about it."

Enlarge Da Map......

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 02/07/19, 08:23:58 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :happy1: :happy1: wonder who asked about dis first??? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
« Last Edit: February 02/07/19, 09:09:28 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :moon:

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Get wid da program and smell da Geritol,  Gramps!!!

« Last Edit: February 02/07/19, 06:04:44 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Get wid da program and smell da Geritol,  Gramps!!!

Dat stuff gives me diarrhea. :moon:

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I tink Glenn was looking for some choco-sauce for his ice cream.......

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman

Dat Glenn hasn't changed since he was a kid! :rotflmao:

:doah: Don't know how his bride puts up wit um! :scratch:

Musta been dat fancy ring he bought her out a da union slush fund. :rotflmao: :queen2:

« Last Edit: February 02/08/19, 01:27:51 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Musta been dat fancy ring he bought her out a da union slush fund. :rotflmao: :queen2:
how'd you find out!!!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: :scratch: :doah: :censored: :mad1: :bonk: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

this is a family site or i'd tell yea why she puts up wit me!!!!!! :sleazy: :sleazy: :smoking:
« Last Edit: February 02/08/19, 11:40:30 AM by glenn57 »

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman

how'd you find out!!!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: :scratch: :doah: :censored: :mad1: :bonk: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

this is a family site or i'd tell yea why she puts up wit me!!!!!! :sleazy: :sleazy: :smoking:

You remind me a dis old guy wit yer kind a philosophy bout da ladies.

« Last Edit: February 02/08/19, 12:02:17 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

we know it's not your looks!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

I'll tell you's why any of our wives puts up wit us.  Its 'cause we're all...

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

I'll tell you's why any of our wives puts up wit us.  Its 'cause we're all...

\

there's truth to that!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

we know it's not your looks!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
:tut: :tut: :tut: not only my good looks, but my smarts too!!!!!!!!!!! :moon: :moon: :moon: