Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Fish Caught In 30 + ft.  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Anglers Asked Not To Release Fish Caught In 30 Feet Or More Of Water :scratch:
                           :Fish: :Fish: :Fish:    :Fish: :Fish: :Fish:

:coffee: ....
When we think about proper catch and release of fish, we often think of stressed fish in warm water during the dog-days of August.
Most anglers who choose release fish they catch, or may be required by law – for instance, undersized fish on waters where length regulations exist – take great pride in not causing undo harm or delay so the fish is released safely.

:popcorn: ...
One of the important points to consider for catch and release, which is just as relevant during winter as it is in summer, is whether to release fish caught from deep water.
The North Dakota Game and Fish Department, no matter the time of year, recommends that anglers do not release fish caught in 30 feet or more of water, because fish reeled in from those depths have a greater chance of dying if released.

Fish caught in deep water may not survive because of the extreme change in water pressure, which causes the swim bladder to expand. When that happens, fish can no longer control their balance in the water column.
Other internal injuries, such as rupturing of organs and bleeding, are also possible for fish caught from deep waters.

Devils Lake ice anglers commonly catch yellow perch in 30-45 feet of water during the winter months. Game and Fish does not discourage anglers from fishing at those depths, but the agency does ask anglers who target fish in deeper water to make a commitment to keep what they catch. And once they reach their limit, anglers should stop fishing at that depth to avoid killing more than their limit of fish.

Here’s a few pointers and tips for proper catch and release in general:
• Generally, land the fish quickly and don’t play it to exhaustion.
• Set the hook quickly to reduce the likelihood the fish will swallow the bait.
• Don’t put your fingers in the eyes or gills of the fish.
• Avoid removing mucous or scales.
• Get the fish back in the water as quickly as possible. In the winter, subfreezing temperatures are an injury factor in addition to lack of oxygen intake when fish are out of the water.
• If the hook is very deep within the fish or can’t be removed quickly, cut the line close to the fish’s mouth.
• Back the hook out the opposite way it went in.
• Use needle-nose pliers, hemostats or a hook-out to remove the hook and protect your hands.
• Try to resuscitate an exhausted fish by moving it back and forth to force water through its gills.

Anglers want to enjoy their fishing while at the same time implementing the best practices for efficient catch and release.
Simply put, releasing a fish which will not likely survive defeats the purpose, and while there’s no 100 percent guarantee these practices will ensure survival, they will increase the odds.

One of the important points to consider for catch and release is whether to release fish caught from deep water. N.D. Game and Fish Department photo

:Photography:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 02/21/19, 06:19:27 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I already fish to keep fish. But when they are in the slot or to small you have to throw them back. Can't be helped.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Lakers are one fish you can take deep and release. Because they "Buuuurp"    :fish2:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm a catch and release guy. Even with my guide service I let clients know in advance that "all game fish are catch and release." If day want a meal we'll fish fur panfish. Once and a while when up in da BWCA I'll catch a big walleye in deep water as happened last summer. After a quick photo I released her and she swam down. I figured she'd be ok. But kept poppin back up afterwords. :doah:

I knew she wouldn't make it since da bladder was blown up. :banghead: There I was with no cooler because I'm a catch and release guy. I scooped her up and put her in da live well. Decided ta find someone on da lake quickly ta see if day would take it.

Spotted a boat wit dad and 2 boys so I headed up ta dem. They were looking up at me like I was gunna ram der boat! :doofus: I said "sorry ta creep up on ya but I was wondering if you's guys are keepin fish?" Day replyed yep! I told dem I'm a catch & release guy but got a fish dat ain't gunna make it.
"I have no cooler and I hate ta waste a big fish so would ya like ta take it?"[/i]  Sure da dad stated! :happy1:

When I pulled da walleye out a da live well I thought da kids were gunna crap! She was over 29 inches. :huh:

Lots of tourniment fisherman use a method known as fizzing ta let da air out od da bladder and it works on bass. Lot's of pros & cons on da method!
I did read an opinion on da MN. DNR sight years ago about fizzing. It stated fur walleyes it's not recomended. Even a marine biologist could hit da wrong spot wit da fizzing needle and ruin da fish. :bonk:
« Last Edit: February 02/21/19, 11:37:02 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I'm a catch and release guy. Even with my guide service I let clients know in advance that "all game fish are catch and release." If day want a meal we'll fish fur panfish. Once and a while when up in da BWCA I'll catch a big walleye in deep water as happened last summer. After a quick photo I released her and she swam down. I figured she'd be ok. But kept poppin back up afterwords. :doah:

I knew she wouldn't make it since da bladder was blown up. :banghead: There I was with no cooler because I'm a catch and release guy. I scooped her up and put her in da live well. Decided ta find someone on da lake quickly ta see if day would take it.

Spotted a boat wit dad and 2 boys so I headed up ta dem. They were looking up at me like I was gunna ram der boat! :doofus: I said "sorry ta creep up on ya but I was wondering if you's guys are keepin fish?" Day replyed yep! I told dem I'm a catch & release guy but got a fish dat ain't gunna make it.
"I have no cooler and I hate ta waste a big fish so would ya like ta take it?"[/i]  Sure da dad stated! :happy1:

When I pulled da walleye out a da live well I thought da kids were gunna crap! She was over 29 inches. :huh:

Lots of tourniment fisherman use a method known as fizzing ta let da air out od da bladder and it works on bass. Lot's of pros & cons on da method!
I did read an opinion on da MN. DNR sight years ago about fizzing. It stated fur walleyes it's not recomended. Even a marine biologist could hit da wrong spot wit da fizzing needle and ruin da fish. :bonk:
sorry dude.........if i'm, paying ya good money to guide me and i wanna keep some fish i'm gonna. or like your buddy says........YOUR FIRED!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman

sorry dude.........if i'm, paying ya good money to guide me and i wanna keep some fish i'm gonna. or like your buddy says........YOUR FIRED!!!!!!!!

Glenn... Glenn.... Glenn :doah: Like I stated on my post I let clients know in advance about release of game fish. They are not being bamboozled about anything here.  I respect your right ta keep fish.

Where I guide it's not like da land of plenty v/s way up north. Folks I guide are well aware that some catch & release is an important part of maintaining a healthy fishery. I have old photos of braggin sticks loaded wit fish. At one point I decided to be a give back to da lake in return for all it's given me. Again I don't begrudge you keeping fish so lets not try ta make me look like an anti! :tut:

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I already fish to keep fish. But when they are in the slot or to small you have to throw them back. Can't be helped.
I don't fish that deep often, more this time of year than open water & just plan on keeping what I catch. Usually crappies, for me. With the slot for walleyes now I don't fish that deep in open water very often.. If they  :fish2:  are brought up slowly you can sometimes let them go & have them survive especially in cooler water. IMO
« Last Edit: February 02/21/19, 05:47:07 PM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Glenn... Glenn.... Glenn :doah: Like I stated on my post I let clients know in advance about release of game fish. They are not being bamboozled about anything here.  I respect your right ta keep fish.

Where I guide it's not like da land of plenty v/s way up north. Folks I guide are well aware that some catch & release is an important part of maintaining a healthy fishery. I have old photos of braggin sticks loaded wit fish. At one point I decided to be a give back to da lake in return for all it's given me. Again I don't begrudge you keeping fish so lets not try ta make me look like an anti! :tut:
oh i get it. BUT lets just say i pay you to guide me. i catch a fish, say muskie, or even a big walleye thats worthy of mounting. your not gonna let me keep it. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: THERE"S NOT MUCH CHANCE OF THAT HAPPENING!!! :bonk: :thumbs: ;) :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1: THERE"S NOT MUCH CHANCE OF THAT HAPPENING!!! :bonk: :thumbs: ;) :rotflmao:
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: awe go back to inger!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
If'n your plan is to release all the fish ya catch then why in the heck are ya fishin' in 30+ feet of water?

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman

oh i get it. BUT lets just say i pay you to guide me. i catch a fish, say muskie, or even a big walleye thats worthy of mounting. your not gonna let me keep it. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut:

Good question Glenn :happy1: Here's a photo of one of my clients that caught a walleye of a life time with me. It's now on his wall at home. Of course I let folks keep a mounter if they decide it's what they wanted to do!

Many BWCA Reports

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Good question Glenn :happy1: Here's a photo of one of my clients that caught a walleye of a life time with me. It's now on his wall at home. Of course I let folks keep a mounter if they decide it's what they wanted to do!
   :bonk: :tut:  Don't start being nice to him now, Lee! ;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman

I have ta climb out-a da box once and a while and become a diplamat! Sometimes ("da kid") Glenn needs someone ta trow um a candy cane and den he settles back down.

Many BWCA Reports

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:tut: :tut: :tut: Lee's afraid i may just send some of my union thugs his way!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: training-087 training-087 training-087 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman

:tut: :tut: :tut: Lee's afraid i may just send some of my union thugs his way!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: training-087 training-087 training-087 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Glenn :doah: You forget dat I was born in Chi Town.  Live just outside Chicago now! :blues brothers: Do you really tink yer tugs are tougher  training-087 training-087 den "R" tugs  :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Many BWCA Reports