Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Do muskies kill walleye lakes?  (Read 9515 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
  :banghead: Wa hoppen :scratch:  I was tinkin dis tread was bout muskies killin walleyes :crazy:
so back atcha.............why did you post sumfin like dis known u was stirrin up a hornets nest?????? huh? huh???? huh??????? :pouty: :pouty: :doah: :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
  :banghead: Wa hoppen :scratch:  I was tinkin dis tread was bout muskies killin walleyes :crazy:
so back atcha.............why did you post sumfin like dis known u was stirrin up a hornets nest?????? huh? huh???? huh??????? :pouty: :pouty: :doah: :scratch:

Because he......

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:    :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
    :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:      :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
       :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:       :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 03/20/19, 05:23:46 PM by roony »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service

Wrong again! :crazy: Cuz dat's what it BEES

« Last Edit: March 03/20/19, 06:05:35 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Bees?! I thought we were talking about walleyes?! Boy, things are always just a buzzin' 'round here....

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Bees?! I thought we were talking about walleyes?! Boy, things are always just a buzzin' 'round here....

"MNO is like a box of chocolates"...
."Ya never know what yer gunna get!" :doah:

« Last Edit: March 03/21/19, 03:22:42 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
A thousand little walleyes, swimmin' in a tub, out jumped 500, then there were none.  ;)

Guess that's how it works. Didn't teach THAT in school. Nets must = zero.
« Last Edit: March 03/20/19, 08:01:25 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Walleye ....Walleye....in da seas....Tell me what da problem Bees :scratch: ?...... "A musky came......And took me out.......he held me in ...... his toothy mout .....And just like dat.....He spit me out.....He thought...... I was..........A juicy trout!" :doah:

"All is well dat ends well" :happy1:

:popcorn: Poem By.....
Lee Shakespeare Borgersen :bow:

« Last Edit: March 03/21/19, 04:05:05 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
"Walleye walleye, in the net...have we wrecked Mille Lacs yet?"  "It's the  spearing and eaters that killed them off, listen to me, and do not scoff!" "When the lake is empty and all fish are dead, then we won't have to have this thread!"    :bonk:   :party1:
« Last Edit: March 03/21/19, 08:28:58 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You too need to call those ladies....   Actually I am impressed with your poetry skills.  You know I was thinking again.  So how many baby Muskies and Muskies eggs do those pesky Walleyes eat????  :sleazy:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good point!.......and Lee's phone AND their's is always busy... :scratch:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I can see them laughing all day long.  Burn one and then laugh some more.  With their Buddy Lee. 

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
      OK! it's time ta give dis tred back to da sane folks! :doah:

:confused: .....
Are muskies eating all the walleye? Are muskies eating all the perch? Is your favorite lake going to crash and burn if muskies are introduced? To answer these questions, I dug into the scientific literature to find out what the REAL objective studies had to say.

:cool: Hang on fer da ride! I hope ya like dis......... :happy1:

Da Truth  :bow:
Great Video......
http://anglingbuzz.com/walleye-vs-muskie/
« Last Edit: March 03/21/19, 01:15:16 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Muskie Behavior and Food Preferences
Feeding studies have shown that other fish make up 95-98% of the Muskies diet, although at times they will also eat insects, crayfish, small mammals, and waterfowl. They are a natural predator, and like all predators, are opportunists. Studies have shown that even when they’re abundant, other game fish made up a very small percentage of the Muskies diet.

Fishermen have reported Muskies attacking bass and walleye as they were being reeled in. This may have given the impression that Muskies are significant predators of other game fish, when in fact, the Muskie was simply reacting naturally to the   struggling fish due to their predatory instincts.

Muskies generally take advantage of the most abundant prey species available that are of sufficient size for them to eat. Given the opportunity to choose, Muskies prefer soft-finned, high protein based fish such as suckers, tullibee, ciscoes, bullheads, carp, and minnows. In fact, the food sources Muskies prefer most are usually fish species that most people would rather not have in their lake.

The truth is that even though it’s been proven that Muskies do have a preferred food source they are opportunistic predators, and occasionally consume other game fish. The amount of other game fish eaten by Muskies is minimal compared to the amount of game fish such as Walleye that are harvested by anglers.
Facts, Studies, and Statistics
A major study was undertaken from July of 1991 through October of 1994, and other documented studies were conducted as long ago as 1952. These studies, as well as others, came to the same conclusion. Game fish such as walleye make up a very small part of a Muskie’s diet. In one particular study, the stomach contents from 1092 Muskies were evaluated. The results proved that a Muskie’s diet is quite diverse, and that in 74% of the sample fish, only one food item was present. Muskies are not voracious feeders consuming fish after fish, as some people would have you believe.

Walleye ranked extremely low in the Muskies’ diet. In the 1092 study fish, only five contained traces of walleye. This study collected Muskies from 34 separate bodies of water, including lakes with large populations of walleye. Despite their abundance in those lakes, walleye proved to NOT be an important food source for Muskies. During the study, Muskies and walleyes were observed in very close proximity to one another, as the walleye is also a predator. Walleye made up 3.4% of the total stomach content volume found in the Muskies in that study. Bass species found accounted for 3.1%, even lower than that of walleye. 63.5% of the total stomach content volume was made up of yellow perch and various minnow species.
Summary
Muskies and Walleyes have co-existed in the same bodies of water for centuries, and all evidence indicates that they will continue to do so. Most premiere Walleye lakes also happen to be excellent Muskie fisheries as well. This would not be possible if Muskies were decimating the Walleye populations, as some suggest.

For example, in the State of Minnesota there are numerous lakes fished for both species. Lake of the Woods, Lake Winibigoshish, Leech Lake, Mille Lacs Lake, and Cass Lake are all top of the line Walleye fisheries that also contain large numbers of Muskies.

Do Muskies eat Walleyes? They do occasionally, but in far less numbers than the number of fish taken by Walleye anglers. Scientific studies based on statistical analysis all conclude that “Muskies eat all the Walleyes” is completely false.

There is room in the lake for both species to exist and thrive, and there is room on the lake for anglers of both species.

Whether you’re a Walleye angler, or a Muskie angler, hopefully you’ve gained a bit more knowledge about how these fish can, and do peacefully inhabit the same waters.

:fish2:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yepper...........what reb posted is pretty much what i understood of the muskie feeding habits. pretty much the same for pike. lakes with a good supply of tullies and suckers will GROW ABSOLUTELY HUGE  huge muskie and pike.
« Last Edit: March 03/21/19, 02:51:49 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
... suckers will net huge muskie and pike.

I thought we weren't talking about netting anymore?
 :confused:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
... suckers will net huge muskie and pike.

I thought we weren't talking about netting anymore?
 :confused:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :taz: :taz: :taz: :banghead: :banghead: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

dat better Steve-o?????? :sleazy: :smoking: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: March 03/21/19, 02:52:18 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
.. GROW ABSOLUTELY HUGE ...

dat better Steve-o??????

Yep, but now it made me t'ink of 'dis...

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
If I was a Muskie I would be eating walleye all day
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects