Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Gophers  (Read 28605 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
There's that squeaking noise again... :scratch:

I watched a lot of that game Gunner & again was impressed with how IA managed to pull it off. Saw that exchange afterwards too. A lot of chippy garbage & poor sportsmanship going on all over. Speaking of that, I see Bucky found a way to beat Sparty w/o anyone getting tripped or punched in the berries. Coach Gard is still covering for Davison tho, making him out to be the victim. Be interesting to see what's in store for him at The Barn Wed. nite. Talk of people wearing jocks & nut cups on the outside of their clothing or on their heads. Bet they won't show much of The Barnyard on TV if it happens.

Watched the Gopher women yesterday afternoon after the IA game. Double OT and they won it. Needed it to give them any chance of making the NCAA's. Looks like they're getting over the shock of Pitts pulling the pin. Taiye Bello, one of the twins who protested Pitts suspension had 19 pts. & 22 boards. Jasmine Powell who went to the same HS Pitts did also had 19 pts.   

Also watched Gopher hockey Fri. & Sat. nite sweep Bucky in WI. Looks like WI's hockey program is in the toilet, altho they still pack the arena as opposed to what's been happening at Mariucci. Thanks Big 10!  :tongue: Gophers are a young team and looks like they're starting to gel. Like their toughness, taking the puck to the net rather than making 15 pretty but meaningless passes. And they play defense rather than standing around watching the puck. Motzko may be turning the corner in year two.
:tut: :tut: dis is da gophers tred....not an iowegian thread or cheesehed tread or illinois tread.

shape up!!!!!!!!! :tut: :tut: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

the best pot stirrer calling the kettle black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

And it even says "bite" in there.... ;)
« Last Edit: February 02/03/20, 11:32:08 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Nice win last nite for the Gophers! Got Bucky right where they wanted him: On our home court! Gophers led wire to wire and win 70-52. Davison was jeered the entire game and ended up with 4 free throw and NO field goals. The other Minny boys who left to play for Bucky were also treated rudely. Time for the gravy train to WI and parts unknown to end. I see IA struggled last nite against Turdue. That'll happen in their house. Get 'em in your place, not so much.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Good to see the Gophers win!! :happy1:  Where'd they get this new point guard? ;) :laugh: The barn was rockin. :cool: Hawks game was pretty much over in the 1st 4-5 minutes :pouty: as Purdue couldn't miss & they got every rebound startin out too. Think  :scratch: they shot 65% from the field & 51% from 3 in the 1st 1/2. :doofus: We'll be waiting for 'em @ Carver!  :tut:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
OUCH!! :banghead: Talk about gettin kicked in the gonads, that was a really tough loss for the Gophers last night. They had at least 2, maybe 3, front ends of 1 & 1's goin down the stretch that they missed or it might've been different. :sad: Was pullin for Mn & Rutger's both hopin they'd help tightenen the conference race up a little more. :pouty:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ah, the story of the season. Flashes of brilliance throughout games then when a clutch free throw or big play is needed to seal the deal on a game to take us to the next level, choke.  :angry: A lot of talk that Pitino will be finished after letting that one get away last nite. Was after the last loss too. Ah but there's always the NIT. Um, no, probably not. Last I checked you need a .500 record to get into the NIT. Given their remaining schedule, they're gonna be hard pressed to do that playing at IN & WI. Playing NE at home they might win but to get to .500 (13-14 after last nite) they'd still have to pull off some sort of miracle in the Big 10 tournament. Fat chance. Almost as much as they had to make the NCAA. 
« Last Edit: February 02/27/20, 09:59:27 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Been wonderin :scratch: 'bout Pitino's job with the way the last month has gone. :crazy:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, I'm sure folks will start to question his fitness for the job.

Me?  I'm in no hurry to see him go.  I wish he was farther along program success-wise, but are you better off rolling with him or pressing the reboot button again?

And if you do send him packing, who are you going to get that you think will do better?

Again, to my mind, when fired Tubby Smith, everyone in this town realized it wasn't just the Gophers not making the NCAA Tournament year after year.  It seemed like Tubby was mailing it in and there was a feeling of malaise about the program.

I don't get that impression with Pitino yet.

What does Richard need to show me next?

He's shown me he can recruit 5 good players by telling them they can be starters in the Big Ten.  But can recruit depth?  The problem is when you only got 5 guys, if one or two get hurt, you season is sunk.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
the issue I see is that there are so many ELITE basketball programs out there why would they come here?? not to mention the weather.

so if your being recruited would you pick Minnesota over Kansas, the tarheels, Kentucky...…………. :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I think you hit on it Steve-O and we've discussed it ad nauseum in the office here: He hasn't recruited any depth. I actually kinda like the guy and like you, I've seen enough coaches fired at the U to know it seldom solves the problem known as losing. In fact, it usually guarantees several more years of same until they plateau at a certain level of mediocrity. Firing Tubby was the result of disgruntled boosters and an arrogant AD who wanted "his guy" & "his gal" as basketball coaches so he could leave his mark on the program. Norwood Teague did just that. Got his guy & gal in place, then was fired himself for sexual harassment. Swell. What does Little Richard need to show me? Starting next season, he'd better right the ship or he needs to go. That'll be 8 years. Guessing they'll be without Oturu so that'll be a tall order. If in the meantime they landed say a John Beilein or a Brian Dutcher and Pitino got broomed, I'd be fine with that. Tim Miles? No. Same song, different verse I'm afraid. And Glenn, go lay by your dish... :rotflmao:   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes, Dotch, there are two sides to the Tubby coin.  He probably saw the writing on the wall figured why should he bust his hump for a guy who was going to show him the door anyway.  I never blamed Tubby for the cheating scandal.  Sure, he was responsible, but I gotta believe other programs were doing the same and worse.  How come only Minnesotans get caught cheating (Glen Taylor/Joe Smith)?

I think Pitino will be able to recruit depth if he can just get over that hump and win a little more consistently.  Unfortunately, the team's performance down the stretch probably set him back a year.  This year we bemoaned not having a replacement for Coffey, and if Oturu goes, that will be two star caliber players that have yet to be replaced.  He's goona have to recruit and/or coach someone up.

(Personally I think it would be best for Oturu to come back unless he's certain he'd get drafted in the top 10.)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 I agree Steve-o, I think Oturu would benefit from playing at least 1 more year of college ball as he's still a little raw. Pitino is a good coach IMO but his teams seem to underachieve a lot. :scratch: More depth certainly would help & even getting most of the best in players in state to stay home wouldn't hurt. More options on offense particularly at crunch time would be a big help bring home some of those close games everyone's playin this season.
« Last Edit: February 02/28/20, 10:01:14 AM by Gunner55 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
What cheating scandal occured under Tubby's tenure at MN Steve-O? He was pretty squeaky clean if I recall correctly. If you're referring to Clem the Gem's days, no he had absolutely nothing to do with that. It ultimately resulted in Dan Monson coming here then getting canned & Tubby getting hired but otherwise that's about it.

For selfish reasons, I'd like nothing better than to have Oturu stay. No doubt he can still use some work on some things. I'm a realist however in this game of one or two and done. He could also get hurt and end his potential NBA career before it ever had a chance to get started. I've heard speculation that he could be a top 20-ish pick so couldn't blame him if he bolted. I was shocked when Coffey left as his stock wasn't nearly as high as Oturu's.

The Gophers should be better next year if Oturu stays, with or without Pitino. They are a young team and if Pitino can land some decent recruits they should be back in the middle of the pack at very least. Eric Curry may be back but given his propensity for injury, wouldn't count on him returning to the form he had as a freshman. As glenn mentioned, the Gophers don't have a reputation as a basketball powerhouse. The last time they won the Big Ten (officially) was 1982. They won it under Clem in '97 but that really didn't happen.  ;) ;) ;) Funny, I coulda swore I watched 'em in the Final Four that year.  :scratch: I think some of these in state kids tho had better remember that for every Tre Jones or Matthew Hurt there is an Isaiah Dahlman who rides the pine for 4 years, never to be seen or heard from again. Some of them wind up transferring back here.     

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
What cheating scandal occured under Tubby's tenure at MN Steve-O? He was pretty squeaky clean if I recall correctly. If you're referring to Clem the Gem's days, no he had absolutely nothing to do with that. It ultimately resulted in Dan Monson coming here then getting canned & Tubby getting hired but otherwise that's about it.

For selfish reasons, I'd like nothing better than to have Oturu stay. No doubt he can still use some work on some things. I'm a realist however in this game of one or two and done. He could also get hurt and end his potential NBA career before it ever had a chance to get started. I've heard speculation that he could be a top 20-ish pick so couldn't blame him if he bolted. I was shocked when Coffey left as his stock wasn't nearly as high as Oturu's.

The Gophers should be better next year if Oturu stays, with or without Pitino. They are a young team and if Pitino can land some decent recruits they should be back in the middle of the pack at very least. Eric Curry may be back but given his propensity for injury, wouldn't count on him returning to the form he had as a freshman. As glenn mentioned, the Gophers don't have a reputation as a basketball powerhouse. The last time they won the Big Ten (officially) was 1982. They won it under Clem in '97 but that really didn't happen.  ;) ;) ;) Funny, I coulda swore I watched 'em in the Final Four that year.  :scratch: I think some of these in state kids tho had better remember that for every Tre Jones or Matthew Hurt there is an Isaiah Dahlman who rides the pine for 4 years, never to be seen or heard from again. Some of them wind up transferring back here.   

Yep, my bad. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 I see the Gophers are in Madison tonight. Glad to see that we got even with Penn St yday. :happy1: :cool:
« Last Edit: March 03/01/20, 10:08:52 AM by Gunner55 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yep, off to the land of boring basketball again. Be nice to catch Bucky napping & steal one on the road. Hope the Gophers remember to wear their  cups!  :tut:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That IA - Penn St. game was a good one BTW from the parts of it I watched. Garza is a beast.

Some good news on the Gopher front, sort of anyway. The NIT will extend invitations to sub .500 teams. The rule changed back to allow it in 2017 after it was put in place.They should get an invite based on strength of schedule & quad 1 wins. Also a lot of close games they let get away from them.   :doofus:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The Gophers go down to ignominious defeat to Bucky once again as Cannon used to say. Another close loss. I just hope someone decks that little terd Brad Davison before his college career is over. Has a sign on his forehead that says"jerk"... :tongue:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, they played pretty well ...............................for 35 minutes! :bonk: :banghead:  :crazy: Another tough loss. :pouty:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
with all this babblin about the gophers basketball...........it's really disappointing that my local paper and i looked at the trib........... they sure dont cover the hockey team?????? :doah: :doah: :scratch: :scratch: :censored: :mad1: :bonk:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I agree. After a rough start, they've been the one bright spot in the winter sports season. Trying to watch the Gopher games on TV since they went to the Big 10 & FSN got into their pissing match with Dish Network has been a challenge. Their schedule is anybody's guess where it used to be Fri. & Sat. was 7 p.m. at home, later if on the road playing the western WCHA teams. I finally found the game vs. Michigan on youtube TV Saturday nite with < 3 minutes left to go.  :angry: And the BTN commentators are sometimes so bland trying to be impartial (Dan Kelly in particular) that the games become flat and boring to watch after watching them on FSN all these years. I miss Doug McLeod! Guys like Wooger too, may he RIP.  :happy1:   
« Last Edit: March 03/02/20, 10:24:11 AM by Dotch »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We have Direct TV down here & I'm still searchin for the bball games. All sorts of different times on a lot of different stations, BTN, FS1, ESPN, or network.  :pouty: Got to check online to find out much.  :rolleyes: I imagine hockey is even worse. :crazy:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
This guy hits it pretty close when it comes to what happened to this season's Gopher BB team and what we might expect...

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2020/3/3/21161422/minnesota-gophers-basketball-learning-to-win-in-the-big-ten-is-a-process-richard-pitino-hot-seat 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Your guy was spot on Dotch. Hawks didn't look good again last night. :sad: They got pounded on the offensive glass 21-10 & that was the difference in the game. :pouty: A big 1 left.........................Champaign on Sunday night.
« Last Edit: March 03/04/20, 08:42:31 AM by Gunner55 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I watched that game last nite. Frannie must've had a meltdown in the first half. I was doing some stuff in the kitchen and Purdue had just finished shooting some technical foul shots. Not a big Purdue fan. Under Painter they originated the clutch and grab-pattycake the other team's offense with their constant handchecking. When they don't get called for it as they should like last nite it works. When they do they're a very ordinary basketball team not unlike the Gophers. I do enjoy watching Frannie tho. He's the best thing to come along since Bobby Knight! One of my IA buddies posted this on Twitter:

« Last Edit: March 03/04/20, 12:50:18 PM by Dotch »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
More Oturu tidbits. No surprise here altho as the one poster mentions, lose Carr & Willis as well, we may as well fold up shop at least for next year.

https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/threads/shama-nba-source-on-oturu-%E2%80%9Ci%E2%80%99ve-heard-he-is-gone-for-sure.95554/ 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
SSDN. Gophers in IN pull to a 2 pt. lead at halftime and manage to let another one slip away in the 2nd half. Ihnen (funny he doesn't look German  :scratch: ) played well aside from some defensive lapses. Oturu was amazing. 24 pts and 16 boards. The play where he stole the ball on the Indiana end, dribbled it down the court, outran the defender and slammed it made for highlight reel material. Better enjoy his next few games. Likely to be his last as a Gopher before he goes pro.  :sad: Nebraska at home for what should be senior night. They lose Rudrud, Demir & Hurt. Be nice to head into the Big 10 tournament with a win.  :cool:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Senior Day and the Gophers BB team demolished a depleted Nebraska lineup 107-75. No pressure on today and the 3 balls fell easily. Kalscheur sets the Gopher record with 8 made 3's. Every player on the Gopher roster scored. Listened to most of the 1st half on the radio & the Fuskers hung with them. Only dressing 7 guys tho tuckered NE out as the game wore on. The Gophers don't have a deep bench but it was deep enough yesterday. Gophers have a couple chances to make the NCAA: Slim & none. They'd have to win the Big 10 tournament and that ain't likely. A lot of speculation surrounding this team going into next year as far as coaching & players, in particular Oturu sticking around. The next several weeks should prove very interesting.

Sounds like I missed a good IA-IL tilt last nite while making supper. Was a bevy of technicals fouls called (4; 2 apiece for each team) if I read the box score right. IL comes away the winner by 2 on a missed last second shot by IA. Brad Underwood appeared to rub a little salt in the wound by signing a blown up photo of a triggered Frannie after the game. Forgot about the little dust up in the previous IL-IA game between Frannie & the IL assistant coach. Even more bad blood going into the Big 10 tournament and beyond.  :shocked: I just hope Bucky gets his comeuppance. They suck!  :rotflmao:

https://twitter.com/alex13aguilera/status/1236828252620144645     

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Hawks were down 17 in the 2nd half with > 8 to go  when McCaffrey suddenly found the range for a couple quick 3's. They had it to 1 score for 2 or 3 possessions but couldn't make a play. :pouty: Hope we get 'em again in the tourney & knock em out of it. :cheerleader: Would love to see 'em set Purdue straight in the tourney too. :happybounce:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Quite possible you'll get the Illini on Friday. If the Gophers can beat Northwestern Wed. (better than even odds) they play IA. They didn't match up particularly well against Frannie & Co., especially the first time around. IL plays the winner of that contest.

http://bigten.sidearmsports.com/images/2020/3/9/2020_MBBT_Bracket_71.jpeg 

Brad Underwood lost some weight apparently and his wardrobe improved since last season. Put a pair of glasses on him last season and he was a dead ringer for Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker!  :rotflmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LyqPdZjQTY 

« Last Edit: March 03/09/20, 04:38:59 PM by Dotch »