Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bat population declines  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 :reporter; Bat population decline continues as expected.

Annual Minnesota bat count shows continued effects of white-nose syndrome
Following the pattern observed in neighboring states, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is reporting a substantial but expected decline in the number of bats in Minnesota. The decline is due to the effects of white-nose syndrome (WNS), a disease that is harmful and usually fatal to hibernating bats.

Recently completed DNR bat surveys have recorded declines up to 94 percent in affected locations across the state, compared to counts prior to March 2015 when the DNR first confirmed the presence of the disease in Minnesota. A 90 percent decrease was observed at Soudan Underground Mine in northeastern Minnesota, where the disease was first confirmed in the state. A 94 percent decline was observed at Mystery Cave in southeastern Minnesota.

While there may be a rare hibernaculum in Minnesota that hasn't yet been impacted, WNS is likely to be present anywhere bats hibernate in the state, said Ed Quinn, DNR natural resource program supervisor. Four of Minnesota's bat species hibernate and four species migrate.

White-nose syndrome is named for the white fungal growth observed on infected bats. It is not known to pose a threat to humans, pets, livestock or other wildlife.
Although the disease is transmitted primarily from bat to bat, people can inadvertently carry fungal spores to other caves on clothing and caving gear.

For several years, public tours of Soudan Underground Mine and Mystery Cave have begun with a brief lesson on how to prevent the spread of WNS. Both before and after tours, visitors are required to walk across special mats designed to remove spores from footwear, and they are advised not to wear the same clothing, footwear or gear when visiting other caves or mines where bats may be present. Multiple washings in a standard washing machine will not provide sufficient decontamination.

As tours will continue at these and other caves, the DNR will continue to follow recommended national decontamination protocols to prevent human transport of fungal spores. The DNR urges owners of private caves to learn about WNS and take similar visitor precautions as outlined in the protocols.

DNR biologists continue to conduct winter bat counts in several Minnesota hibernacula. We use these counts to compare the number of bats in a site from year to year. Although we count all of the bats that we see, more are likely in areas we can't reach,ï explained DNR mammalogist Gerda Nordquist.

Many species of bats feed voraciously on insects. Nordquist said the DNR has heard from residents who saw many more bats before WNS and now are noticing a dramatic increase in mosquitoes. Along with mosquitoes and other biting insects, bats also eat large numbers of moths. Some moths can damage farm crops and vegetable gardens, and bat losses to WNS could lead to increases in pesticide use.

WNS was first documented in North America in 2007 in eastern New York and has since spread to 33 states and seven Canadian provinces, killing more than six million bats.
Nordquist encourages anyone who sees a sick or dead bat to submit a Bat Observation Report. DNR staff reviews these reports and additional follow-up or testing is conducted as needed.

To learn more about white-nose syndrome and Minnesota's bats, visit mndnr.gov/wns.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's too bad. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sad deal. We usually have a bunch of bats (think they're the little brown bat variety) that live up under the soffits on the upstairs portion of the original house. When we remodeled ~10 years ago was obvious they'd been there a long time. Even after buttoning it all back tho up, they still managed to find a way in. I don't mind it if they stay there but every once in a while one gets down in the main part of the house. Summer before last I woke up to one sitting on my hand in the morning. I offed it with a shoe, put it in the fridge then hauled it to the U of M vet clinic to confirm it wasn't rabid. It was and I've bitten several people since... :rotflmao: There were still some bats in the soffits last summer altho not as many it seemed. Won't surprise me if they're gone entirely. We have a lot of mosquitoes with the wetland down the hill. Will miss watching them munch bugs down every nite if that's the case.  :sad:

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mammals/bats.html
« Last Edit: March 03/29/19, 12:04:09 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Sure do see a lot of them cruising in the air at dusk when I'm on the deck in the summer....