Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Whatchya smokin  (Read 103252 times)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well I scored a 5 pound chunk!!!  going to smoke it tomorrow...  so Rh did ya season it the night before or the day of???  I hope to have it on the smoker by 8am at 250...  got the mustard ready and the seasoning...  this way if it turns out good I can go back and get more!!!
« Last Edit: April 04/27/20, 02:59:44 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Mike you can smear the mustard and then put the seasoning on and wrap it in plastic wrap the night before.  Lot's of guys do it and I think some of that flavor sinks in the meat a bit which is good.  I do it the day of just because I have done it that way for years.  Fat side up and drip tray below.  Use a drip pan that covers the whole brisket but doesn't cover the whole area of the smoke.  That will cut off a lot of the heat.  I do spritz it with apple juice with a little brandy in it a few times.  I forgot to add that when the fat side is up I cut lines to the meat but not in the meat in a criss cross pattern so the fat stays on the brisket more that just slide off.  good luck.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
thank you kind sir!!!   :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
well I scored a 5 pound chunk!!!  going to smoke it tomorrow...  so Rh did ya season it the night before or the day of???  I hope to have it on the smoker by 8am at 250...  got the mustard ready and the seasoning...  this way if it turns out good I can go back and get more!!!
another "WE" meal!!!!!!!!!! :smoking: :tut: :tut: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
another "WE" meal!!!!!!!!!! :smoking: :tut: :tut: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

this will be shared only if I can get it right...  then yup "WE" meal....

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
hey Rh, when ya do a brisket do you do that at 225 too, I mean when you are not making burnt ends.,.  and never had them yet either..  and then do ya wrap in foil and finish or just take to some where around 200??  thanks again!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
You can do it at 225 but as you know it would take longer.  250 for me.  Yes when the internal hits 180 I wrap it in foil or butcher paper and put it back in the smoker till 205 then take it out and then wrap it some more and let it rest.  good luck.

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Mike, did you smoke that brisket today? And if so, how did it turn out?

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup I did it yesterday, 14 hours later I enjoyed it!!!  came out very tender and juicy!!!  I'm not sure I'm in a rush to do another any time soon but I would do another...  but over all I learned and enjoyed the time and the eats!!!   was going to post this earlier but I got side tracked by Glenn!!! 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yup I did it yesterday, 14 hours later I enjoyed it!!!  came out very tender and juicy!!!  I'm not sure I'm in a rush to do another any time soon but I would do another...  but over all I learned and enjoyed the time and the eats!!!   was going to post this earlier but I got side tracked by Glenn!!!
:tut: :tut: :tut: I get blamed for everything else...……...may as well be that too!!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Wowser,  14 hrs fir a 5 pounder, he is distracting.   :rotflmao:  :mooning:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow that is a long time and good to know.  So you don't sound real excited even though it was tender and juicy.  ??  Those are the two things I am the most worried about.  You must not have liked the flavor??  What temp did you pick, 225 or 250?

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow that is a long time and good to know.  So you don't sound real excited even though it was tender and juicy.  ??  Those are the two things I am the most worried about.  You must not have liked the flavor??  What temp did you pick, 225 or 250?

that messed me up, I was going to do the 250, but forgot and set it 225.. 6 hours later the light bulb came on and I bumped it up  I wrapped it at almost 180, but I think I would do it at 160 next time..  who knows maybe I'll break down and get another brisket tomorrow!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think you should.  And let me know how it goes.    :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

that messed me up, I was going to do the 250, but forgot and set it 225.. 6 hours later the light bulb came on and I bumped it up  I wrapped it at almost 180, but I think I would do it at 160 next time..  who knows maybe I'll break down and get another brisket tomorrow!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
yea I heard that light is really dim at times!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I think you should.  And let me know how it goes.    :happy1: :happy1:

we will see!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
still debating about another brisket........   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I have had smoked brisket that friends have smoked before. they where ok but seemed to be real fatty. :scratch: not a fan of that. not something I would run out and  do I guess! I would always be willing however to be a sampler!!!!!! :nerd: :nerd: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
decided to pass on the brisket for now or at least today!!!! picked up burger instead!!! 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well I have a pork butt/shoulder on the smoker.. sliced the fat cap like a ham this time to see how that works..  got it seasoned up and am going to make pulled pork!!!  good eats this weekend!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You are the Man!  Sounds great.  I have to decide what kind of ribs to do for Sunday.  Spares, BB, or Beef.  Or with the cold and windy weekend forecasted maybe I will do them on Saturday.

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
well I have a pork butt/shoulder on the smoker.. sliced the fat cap like a ham this time to see how that works..  got it seasoned up and am going to make pulled pork!!!  good eats this weekend!!!
Mike, we hear about all the good cooking you do, how about some photos?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :evil: oh wait. :banghead:  :banghead: :banghead: :confused:
« Last Edit: May 05/08/20, 09:58:45 AM by glenn57 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
You are the Man!  Sounds great.  I have to decide what kind of ribs to do for Sunday.  Spares, BB, or Beef.  Or with the cold and windy weekend forecasted maybe I will do them on Saturday.
You too LPS, you’ve got that new smoker. Glenn’s got an excuse because he hasn’t learned how to take photos. Someone has to make up for Reb and Reinhard not posting.
« Last Edit: May 05/08/20, 10:26:09 AM by Cooperman »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You too LPS, you’ve got that new smoker. Glenn’s got an excuse because he hasn’t learned how to take photos.
oh i can take photos...........its this @#%%^&%$% new phone!!!!!!! :confused: :pouty:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

I have no idea of how to post a picture from my phone to the puter to here...    so sorry my friend!!!!   

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Dang-it Mike.  Buy a cheap digital camera!   :undecided:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Dang-it Mike.  Buy a cheap digital camera!   :undecided:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: