Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Whatchya smokin  (Read 102069 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
 :rotflmao: Thanks, but no thanks. Saw enough of it every day in my job.  :doah:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, when I do the loins on the grill they are wrapped in tin foil and  will have a marinate too most of the time...  on the smoker I do them  unwrapped but unlike Rh I try to only take them to 148.. and yes I love them both ways!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I bought some chuck roasts over time even before this virus thing and took one out for burnt ends.  Put the roast in a aluminum pan with a little beef broth and just some garlic salt and black pepper and put it in the smoker at 275.  When the internal temp got to be around 180 I took the roast out put the juices in a plastic container for later use [froze it].  Then I sliced the roast in one inch strips.  Cut the strips into cubes and put them back in the pan with some sweet and zesty BBQ sause.  Put the pan back in the smoker until the cubes were tender.  Served them with rice.  Was going to have them with mashed taters but didn't have any.  Tender as a butchers heart.  One of my favorites.  good luck.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Nothing real special.  They are already enhanced with a salt and water solution to help keep them moist and more tender [and add profit].  It's important not to roast them at a high temp.  Grilling on in-direct heat is best on the grill and for some reason the smoker is the best for them and most other meats.  I do them at 250 degrees and pull them at 155 internal.  I also put them in a throw away tray and baste them once in awhile from the natural juice and a little beef broth I put in there.  good luck.

Sous Vide at 140 to 145 for 5 or so hours also works great...Give them a sear...

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I bought some chuck roasts over time even before this virus thing and took one out for burnt ends.  Put the roast in a aluminum pan with a little beef broth and just some garlic salt and black pepper and put it in the smoker at 275.  When the internal temp got to be around 180 I took the roast out put the juices in a plastic container for later use [froze it].  Then I sliced the roast in one inch strips.  Cut the strips into cubes and put them back in the pan with some sweet and zesty BBQ sause.  Put the pan back in the smoker until the cubes were tender.  Served them with rice.  Was going to have them with mashed taters but didn't have any.  Tender as a butchers heart.  One of my favorites.  good luck.

Holy Cow, RH - Amazing!  I have a question.  Did you continue to add smoke once you put the sauce on and put it back in the smoker? I've never done burnt ends with beef before - this is going to have to happen soon.  I have a couple of chuck roasts to use up, myself.  Doing your injected beef roast for sandwiches this weekend, I think.  Have a rolled sirloin roast in the freezer as well and I haven't made these in a while.
« Last Edit: April 04/02/20, 03:28:41 PM by ThunderLund78 »

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Thunder, I put a little smoke after I take the foil off and cut the chuck in chunks and put the sauce on.  I have a tube smoker [Amazen Tube] that I use a lot and hardly ever use the chip tray.  But for that time span without the foil I did use the chip tray with some cherry chips.  good luck.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm thinking about smoking some chicken breasts that are seasoned with cilantro and lime...   it might interesting... what do you think Rh??

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I like to have the chicken breasts marinaded for use in the smoker or the grill.  Otherwise they get too dry.  I'm using boneless chicken thighs more and more now and I even marinade them.  When I use boneless breasts or thighs for the grill or smoker I make kabobs with whatever you like in between.  Problem with breasts is to make sure you don't over cook them [as you probably know].  I like to baste them also during the process to keep them more juicy.  At work we sell pre seasoned breasts.  Variety of flavors.  They have been marinaded and are ready for the grill.  Maybe you bought those from a store?  If so they should be marinaded.  good luck.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I did get them at the store and yes they are pre-marinated...  I was also thinking of covering them with bacon while on the smoker too...  to help with the moisture part..  thanks for your thoughts!!!! 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so Reiny…………..is there ANYTHING you cooked or made up you didn't like???????????????????

you've had to come across a few bummer reciepes?????? :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Years ago I cut a 1 and a half thick sirloin stead with the bone still in it which you dont see anymore.  I put it on the Weber at the time on in direct heat.  Got distracted for  a long time   Well it was not adult beverage related but It was destroyed for sure.  Forgot about it for a few hours.  Turned out it was totally black and beyond help.  This was back in the 70's.  Never forgot that day.  Had a few almost times since then.  So over time I watch what I make more closely.  Thanks for asking for it does bring back memories.  good luck.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well I have the smoker fired up and I have 6 chicken breasts marinated in a cilantro and lime seasoning and wrapped in bacon ready to on it!!  I look forward to trying those and of course sharing them..  2 for Jim and 2 each for Linda and me...   :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well I have the smoker fired up and I have 6 chicken breasts marinated in a cilantro and lime seasoning and wrapped in bacon ready to on it!!  I look forward to trying those and of course sharing them..  2 for Jim and 2 each for Linda and me...   :happy1:
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: aren't you and Linda supposed to be social distancing!!!!! :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut:

shame …………….shame...………..shame!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: :evil: :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: aren't you and Linda supposed to be social distancing!!!!! :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut:

shame …………….shame...………..shame!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: :evil: :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

we are most days!!!!!!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hows about nights?   :sleazy:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:pouty: :pouty: ders dat seks stuff again!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

and nights too!!  dang it!!!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That good food will lure her in. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
she's working this weekend... 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
she's working this weekend...
yea but here's a lot that can still go down after 3 pm.  :tut: :scratch: just sayin!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I didn't feel like doing the ribs in the pellet smoker so the big rig got the nod. Usually I never cut the ribs in half but to get an even cook I had to.  Foiled n sauced and are really close to devouring,  you think I'd have learned by now Dotch.. :surrender:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
See them chunks of wood also to give the ribs some love.  You are having a great day.  good luck.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well the chicky breasts that I wrapped in bacon sure were good!!  I will be doing some thing that more often!! 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well this morning I mixed up 5 pounds of ground beef and pork, added mixins and made 3 loafs..  now it's on the smoker getting flavored!!!  I did something I have not done before..  cheese in the middle and bacon on the top of them...  I'm thinking good eats later today!!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
You will love it.  I've made meat loaves in the smoker and it's the best way to do it.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Sounds great!  :hubba:  Uh...5 lbs?! Who ya feedin'? Coxey's army?  :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Sounds like he's expectin company. :sleazy:                               ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Mouth watering!!!!  :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: Sounds like he's expectin company. :sleazy:                               ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
nope no company, give some to Jim and some to Linda when I see her...  share else where or freeze it....

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Leftovers make a great sandwich too.  good luck.