Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Be aware a da bears dis Spring  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
:police: Be aware a da Chicago Bears :blues brothers: dis spring; :tut:

:police:..  DNR lists tips for avoiding conflicts

Homeowners are reminded to be aware of bears this spring and check their property for food sources that could attract bears.

Bears are roaming around now with the loss of snow and warmer weather, so interactions with people have started in many areas of Minnesota, said Eric Nelson, wildlife damage program supervisor for the Department of Natural Resources. 

As bears emerge from hibernation, their metabolism gradually ramps up and they will begin looking for food at a time when berries and green vegetation can be scarce. Remove attractants such as bird seed, garbage, livestock feed, or compost to reduce potential conflict. Attracting bears to yards can lead to property damage and presents dangers to bears.

Black bears are the only bear species that live in the wild in Minnesota. They usually are shy and flee when encountered. Never approach or try to pet a bear. Injury to people is rare, but bears are potentially dangerous because of their size, strength and speed.

The DNR does not relocate problem bears. Relocated bears seldom remain where they are released. They may return to where they were caught or become a problem somewhere else.

The DNR offers some tips for avoiding bear conflicts:

Around the yard

•Do not feed birds from April 1 to Nov. 15. Anytime you feed birds, you risk attracting bears.
•If you must feed birds, hang birdfeeders 10 feet up and 4 feet out from the nearest trees. Use a rope and pulley system to refill birdfeeders, and clean up spilled seeds.
•Do not put out feed for wildlife (like corn, oats, pellets or molasses blocks).
•Replace hummingbird feeders with hanging flower baskets, which are also attractive to hummingbirds.
•Do not leave food from barbeques and picnics outdoors, especially overnight. Coolers are not bear-proof.
•Clean and store barbeque grills after each use. Store them in a secure shed or garage away from windows and doors.
•Elevate bee hives on bear-proof platforms or erect properly designed electric fences.
•Pick fruit from trees as soon as it�s ripe and collect fallen fruit immediately.
•Limit compost piles to grass, leaves and garden clippings, and turn piles regularly. Do not add food scraps.
•Harvest garden produce as it matures. Locate gardens away from forests and shrubs that bears may use for cover.
•Use native plants in landscaping whenever possible.
•Store pet food inside and feed pets inside. If pets must be fed outdoors, feed them only as much as they will eat.

Garbage
•Store garbage in bear-resistant garbage cans or dumpsters. Rubber or plastic garbage cans are not bear-proof.
•Keep garbage inside a secure building until the morning of pickup.
•Properly rinse all recyclable containers with hot water to remove all remaining product.
•Store recyclable containers, such as pop cans, inside.

People should always be cautious around bears. If bear problems persist after cleaning up food sources, contact a DNR area wildlife office for advice. For the name of the local wildlife manager, contact the DNR Information Center at 651-296-6157 or 888-646-6367, or visit mndnr.gov/contact/locator.html.

Last year the DNR asked the public to report bear sightings outside primary bear range in Minnesota. Male bears are known to travel long distances in search of new habitat and food, and there is a public perception that bear range has expanded in the central and southern counties of the state. For a map showing the primary bear range and to report a bear sighting outside of this range, visit mndnr.gov/bear.

For more about living in bear habitat, visit mndnr.gov/livingwith_wildlife/bears.

###
« Last Edit: April 04/23/19, 08:42:55 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
And keep an eye on yer pic-a-nic basket. ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
And keep an eye on yer pic-a-nic basket. ;)
reb, who are those two?????????....... trubinsky and mack!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service

Turn in Jokers MN.... :tut:

OK Jews guys! :tut: Just keep it up and I will be forced ta turn yas' guys in ta da athorities.

Turn in jokers (TIJ) in Minnesota. Report a violation in progress. To report a violation, call 800-652-9093 24 hours a day, or key in #TIP on your cell phone.

Turn in jokers (TIJ): Minnesota DNR Tip Line :angry2:

www.dnr.state.mn.us/enforcement/tip.html
« Last Edit: April 04/23/19, 10:16:29 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I merely posted a visual aid to yer Bare Bear Safety post, as most people know that visual aids and humor have a greater impact and provide better memory retention of a given topic. Therefore, allow me to post another one, along with the number you should call for whiners, 1-800- WHINE.  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Wonder why no one mentioned SHOOTING some to reduce the human conflict.   :bonk:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Wonder why no one mentioned SHOOTING some to reduce the human conflict.   :bonk:
its been years since i had a conversation with a CO over this. at the time i had my wife's relatives at the cabin, it was the fall of the year and i believe during a bear hunting season. we had an adult male bear that kept coming around. you could tell it was injured. i'm certain with the food cooking he smelled it, was hungry and wanted to eat.

anyway the CO basiclly said the bear would actually have had to attack or cause damage, and not just a scratch to a building, to justify killing it. this bear did none of that and actually other then just look for food never bothered us!!!!!!   

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
He might've just decided :scratch: that whatever "world famous" meal was on the stove didn't smell so good too. ;) :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe bears don't like WF horsey radish, 'sketti,  and katchup...... :confused:

Maybe he could can the smell and sell it as WFBS. World famous bear spray.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 04/25/19, 07:35:49 AM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
guess there's a bear hanging out in a tree in north st paul.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i just read they shot that bear in st paul!!!!!! what a joke!!!!!!!!! :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
What bear???! The Hamm's bear??!  :confused:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that's too bad.............  they say to many homes and people............. 
« Last Edit: April 04/25/19, 03:41:28 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
You dingleberry!!  :doah:    :rotflmao: They didn't have to shoot him!  :angry:

That's one reason why I don't call the cops or animal control for ANYTHING around here. I'd rather handle it myself, unless it's a medical.

Just got this...

header
DNR News Release

For Immediate Release:

April 25, 2019

Bear shot in North St. Paul
A bear in a residential area of North St. Paul was shot and killed today by a Department of Natural Resources conservation officer as authorities determined the animal posed an immediate safety threat.

The bear was a male and estimated as a two-year old, about 110 – 120 pounds. The bear carcass will be processed and the meat will be distributed to people in need of food.

Due to the density of residences and roads in this area, it was unlikely that the bear would have been able to escape to more suitable habitat, especially during daylight hours and during the morning rush hour.

Growing interest in the bear’s location was leading to a gathering of onlookers. Bears can become agitated and pose a danger to humans when they become trapped or cornered as this bear had become in the neighborhood tree.

Law enforcement is authorized to dispatch bears in the metro area if they pose a public safety threat. The DNR does not tranquilize or relocate bears. Relocated bears seldom remain where they are released. They may return to where they were caught or become a problem somewhere else.

It is not unusual for people to see bears in the spring as young males search out new territories. They are also are looking for food sources at a time when berries and vegetation are scarce.

If people encounter a bear, the first thing they should do is back away slowly. They need to give the bear an escape route and make noise to scare the bear away.

People should also clean-up and remove potential attractants such as bird feeders, garbage, and compost bins to reduce the chances of bears moving into developed and residential areas.

Bear sightings outside of their primary northern forest range can be reported on an interactive map-based application on the Minnesota DNR website at mndnr.gov/hunting/bear/bear-sightings.html.

##
« Last Edit: April 04/25/19, 03:58:56 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thats how i found out too!!!!!!!!!!! :mooning: :sleazy:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't know.  Its too bad for the bear, but bears and city folk don't mix.

First, the bear - depending on where it wanders - will be out of its element - between house, alleys, streets, parking lots - and probably won't have good escape and hide options if it confronted, disoriented, startled, or scared.  People gather all around when the bear is treed, which adds to the problem.

Second, there are lots of stupid people out there.  Aw, just look at the cute li'l boo boo bear.  I wonder if he likes Zagnuts.

You can only hope that people leave it alone long enough and it happens to find its way to suitable habitat, but there is just to much potential for injury to humans waiting for that to happen.

Sorry, bear. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
and whats wrong with makin it go ni-nite and taking it up north a  ways.....like to deadeyes!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
To be honest?  I'm not sure.  But maybe all of us who grew up watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom underestimate the difficulties.

First, you can't expect local municipalities to have the expertise and equipment for such an undertaking.  Nor would I expect commercial animal control companies to be able to deal with it.  They need to be paid, and who has the budget for that?  That pretty much leaves only the DNR who might have the resources to deal with such matters.  And if they are responsible for relocating nuisance bears statewide, how are they going to decide which bears they will move and which ones they won't.  And if they do move them, where will they take them?  Release them all in the same spot?

I just think that there are more problems than solutions and when you have a bear treed in a residential neighborhood, time is of the essence.

I do feel bad for the bear, but a bear isn't a person.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they say the DNR does not tranquilize the bears, generally they can not be relocated and do good there, so they said on the news...   so bye bye bear.... 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
they say the DNR does not tranquilize the bears, generally they can not be relocated and do good there, so they said on the news...   so bye bye bear....
what do those city slickers know about bears?????? :scratch: :scratch:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Depends on what neighborhood the bear is in. Let 'em eat. Survival of the fittest. Bears have rights too. And Jim on WK wasn't worried, because he had Mutual of Omaha.
Here, Yogi.... :whistling:
« Last Edit: April 04/26/19, 08:21:22 PM by Rebel SS »