Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Drop the drone!  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service

Drop the drone during fire season :angry2:

Flying a drone can be a lot of fun but it can be downright dangerous during a wildfire, according to the Department of Natural Resources.

:crazy: .....
Most people wouldn't dream of driving their car in front of a fire engine that's responding to a fire, said Casey McCoy, the DNR's fire prevention supervisor. Flying your drone during a wildfire is just as reckless: we have to ground our planes until the drone gets out of the way, and that slows down our ability to fight the fire.

:popcorn: ....
This happened last year during a wildfire in Little Falls: DNR pilots had to land firefighting helicopters because a drone was buzzing overhead. According to McCoy, interfering with fire operations in this way is dangerous for our aircraft, firefighters on the ground, and the general public.

The reason drones pose such a problem is because they fly at roughly the same altitude as wildfire suppression aircraft. Even a small drone can cause a fire-fighting helicopter to crash if the drone makes contact with the aircraft. :doah:

:tut: ....
Flying a drone over a wildfire isn't just dangerous, it's illegal: Federal law prohibits interfering with firefighting operations, and that includes flying a drone over a wildfire.
To protect firefighting aircraft, temporary flight restrictions may extend over a 5-mile radius of a wildfire. Even if temporary flight restrictions are not in place, people will be penalized if their drone is caught near a wildfire. :moon:

Be fire wise and fire safe. No photo or video is worth the risk. Drop the drone near all wildfires.
For more information about drones and wildfires, log onto the National Interagency Fire Center.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
They need air to ground missiles and blow them out of the sky!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Now that they've allowed hem to do deliveries and fly, etc., have fun trying to regulate them. If I saw one buzzing around me, hands down I'd blow that $#@! right outta the sky. Then come get me.

https://youtu.be/wJgTaxXCxSI
« Last Edit: April 04/24/19, 06:45:06 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I had 1 flying around me in the boat 2-3 years ago   :doah: :rolleyes: :tut: & couldn't figure out :scratch: what that noise was until I spotted the boat behind me running it. It turned out that it was the new owners of 1 of the resort on this end of the lake trying to make a video of them catching a big LM bass so they could put it on their website. :crazy: I was a little ticked at 1st but after I found out what was goin on it didn't bother me as much.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn heard some buzzin' around his head too, but it was just the flies.  :doah:  :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn heard some buzzin' around his head too, but it was just the flies.  :doah:  :rotflmao:
:happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: training-087 training-087 training-087 training-087
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Boar told me to say that.  :confused:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Boar told me to say that.  :confused:
and if boar told you to jump into a frozen lake?????? you'd do that too!!!!!! :doofus: :doofus: :crazy: :crazy: :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

I was just gonna say good morning........ :pouty:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I would be tempted to shoot one over me on my own property if it hung around for awhile. 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
They need air to ground missiles and blow them out of the sky!

Your wish is my command...

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I would be tempted to shoot one over me on my own property if it hung around for awhile.

Me too. Just curious whether you need to use non-toxic shot?  :scratch:

They've been using drones for ag applications, primarily field troubleshooting for some time now. I hesitate to call it scouting because that would involve actually getting off yer dead ass and out of the pickup to see what the problem actually is. Time consuming & weather dependent when using infrared. Lots of them collecting dust after a few years.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)