Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Not conventional but I got him  (Read 2750 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
So, what do you do when the turkey sneaks up on you and is a position where you cannot shoot.
Just go a little Rambo on him and take him on the run.  I choose the "shed" stand for Friday Morning.
With decoys in the field in front (south), I didn't see the need to open the north window looking out into the woods.
I covered part of the window with an old towel.  I heard a bit of gobbling between 5:15 - 6 AM on Friday and then things went silent. 
About every 15 minutes I would look out all the windows just to see what's going on.  Well, there he was 20 feet out
the north window.  I was sure he (and his buddy) would eventually make their way on the field offering me a clear shot.
It was quite frustrating watching a strutting turkey 20 feet out the window but not being able to shoot.  After 10 to 15 minutes
it became obvious they were not going to come out to the field.  In fact they started to make their way away down a path in the wood.
I had camo burlap covering the lower half of the over head door (east side) so I removed it, got ready and stepped out in full view of the birds.
One headed straight away up the path and felt the full load from my 12Ga. 3" no 5's.  The other walked slowly away through the brush.
The turkey weighed 24 pounds field dressed.  1 1/4 inch spurs and a 9 inch  beard. 

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Pretty nice bird.  Way to go. :happy1:
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That's a big feller, deadeye!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
On my Deer stand during season I had a big Yote come through.  I sat up there later in the year with a Yote caller and I had a big Tom come walking in!   :confused:   :bonk: :bonk:  Now I just need to try fall Turkey hunting with a Bow there and I'll get my Deer!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: May 05/13/19, 01:02:02 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I have never hunted Turkeys but that sure is a big one!!  Congratulations.  good luck.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
did it have the pop up timer!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Last fall I shot a bear with my bow while deer hunting so I guess as long as you are out there in the woods anything can happen. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***