Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Our 2019 new food plot  (Read 4234 times)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Last weekend we headed to our cabin and hunting land (two separate places about 8 miles apart) with several items on the "to do" list to continue developing our hunting land.

Last year (2018) was the first year we worked the property. We planted five apple trees (put fencing around them), cleared a couple trails that are wide enough for 4-wheelers, and cleared and planted our first food plot (clover). Here is a link to the posts and pictures I shared on MNO from last years progression: http://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?topic=37061.0

This year our hunting land is SUPER wet. We drove part way in, then disconnected our trailer and had the 4-wheeler pull the trailer and tools in the rest of the way. To top it off, it rained all of Friday and a little bit of each of the other days we were working. We tried trenching around the existing apple trees and also pumping some of the water away but it ended up only working for a little while and the water just kept flowing in.

Anyways, we were able to accomplish quite a lot. We cleared a new trail on the northern border from NE to NW. It is wide enough to drive a 4-wheeler and pull our disc down it. We cleared a large area for our new (second food plot) and disc'd it up. It was pretty wet so my dad and buddy are coming back in two weeks to plant some clover in it. We cleared around the apple tree area to allow for more sunlight and additional trees to be added. We put up a couple old dog kennels and planted six additional apple trees inside of them. This will allow for easier access to water the trees later in the summer. We cleared some shooting lanes by a couple of our permeant stands. We cleared around the clover plot that we planted last year to allow for more sunlight. Plus we expanded the existing clover plot by planting more clover in the area we cleared. We put out a couple mineral rocks, we put out a few game cameras, and we marked a couple future trails we will clear in the future.

You may see a couple old sand boxes in the pictures below by the kennel we put up for the apple trees. We drilled holes in the bottom of each, filled them with some good soil and my mom planted some squash plants in them.

We even had time for a little fishing and a good Red Lake walleye fish fry!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 05/31/19, 11:01:17 AM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Wow, that's quite a bit of work for one weekend.  I know it's super wet but should be drying out soon.  Good luck with your plots and plantings.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Wow, that's quite a bit of work for one weekend.  I know it's super wet but should be drying out soon.  Good luck with your plots and plantings.
:happy1:i agree.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
My parents went back up to the hunting land on Tuesday. The area by the apple trees has dried out.

My dad used the broadcast spreader and seeded the rest of the new food plot with clover.

My son & had threw out some seed along the edge of the north side of the new plot after we finished discing eight days ago. This picture isn't the clearest, but it does show that we have some growth from those seeds. Not bad for only 8 days.

When my dad finished spreading the clover on Tuesday it started to rain right after so hopefully that helps to get things kick started.

« Last Edit: June 06/07/19, 10:12:51 AM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
We did ours on Memorial weekend. Picture of the kids with the disc and my oldest tossing down some sugar beet seed. A first time trying that. The stand in the background is where I spend alot of "quality time" in Nov. and Dec.

mm

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like a critter highway.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
markn,
Are you working and planting you trails or is the a long narrow food plot.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
deadeye, it's an old logging trail from when this acreage was cut down in the late 70's. We lease this 120 acres and have permission from to hunt the 80 next to it. I remember when this area was logged off. It looked like a pumpkin patch for several years there so many people in there. Not sure if this helps, but we feel better doing it. I've have more pictures after I get back up there. Busy with trapshooting now. See you on Sunday.
mm

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
My parents were back at the hunting property this weekend (June 21-23). The new apple trees are looking good. The new food plot is greening up. We also had a few visitors on the trail cameras. We don't have wifi at the cabin so my mom just snaps pictures with her smartphone & sends them to me while they are looking at the trail camera pictures on their laptop.

www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: sweet!!!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I can't be positive but that last one looks like sasquatch... :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I can't be positive but that last one looks like sasquatch... :scratch:

And a fairly nice one too.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
We spent the 4th of July at the cabin. My dad & I went out to our hunting land a couple of days too. I mowed the clover Plot we made last year (1st picture). The new plot is starting to take off (2nd, 3rd, & 4th pictures. The new apple trees look good 5th picture). It looks like two of the 5 apple trees from last year didn’t make it. Not sure if it was the extremely wet spring that caused that. We checked our cameras and are getting a lot of doe & fawn activity. The mineral rocks are getting visited daily. We are excited that our efforts are increasing deer activity!

« Last Edit: July 07/09/19, 11:26:30 AM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
My dad cut the new food plot last weekend. As you can see in the first picture it was growing like crazy. The second picture was taken after he finished cutting it.

www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
As I shared in an earlier post, I cut the clover plot that we planted last year while I was at the cabin over the 4th of July. The first picture is from right after I finished cutting it. The second picture (not the best quality picture) shows how well the clover is growing since cutting it, lots of flowering clover, it looks great!

www.mnoutdoorsman.com