Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Weigh in on wolf hunting  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
    Experts to weigh in on wolf hunting in Bemidji :oscar:

:reporter; 6/2/19

:coffee: ....
BEMIDJI — Two regional experts on wolves will discuss the impact of the removal of the gray wolf from the Endangered Species Act from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday, June 13, at the Bemidji Public Library.

Barry Babcock of Laporte and Robert J. Shimek of the White Earth Reservation will be talking about the removal of the gray wolf and the impacts of a possible recreational hunt season on the population of wolves in Minnesota.

According to figures from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, the state’s wolf population in 2018 remains above the state’s minimum goal of at least 1,600 wolves.

The debate of recreational hunting of wolves comes after a proposal by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to make hunting and trapping of wolves legal again after July 15.

The proposed law plans to restore the rights of management back to the states and tribes after the removal of their endangered protections.

Babcock is the founder of the grassroots organization Jack Pine Coalition and a regular witness on wolf issues at the state Legislature in conjunction with the non-profit group Howling for Wolves.

Shimek will speak about the importance of the wolf to the Anishinaabe culture and spiritual beliefs.

:Photography:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
There better be a hunt or people will just keep on shooting them anyways. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: I agree, LPS. Heard many say that the state's estimate of the population is way off & that there's close to double what they say. A controlled hunt with a specific # taken & see how it goes from there. Probably going to stay the way it is though as there's too many special interest groups involved & way too many politics :bs:. The treehuggers will just manage to get it in front of yet another liberal east coast judge who they know will rule in their favor.
« Last Edit: June 06/02/19, 09:11:18 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
May be wrong but it sounds like they will have two biased "experts". Wish they would talk to the people who are affected by the growing wolf population.  I seen on facebook [member of the North Shore Tribe on there] that a guy was driving on a rural road up there and seen a large wolf in the ditch.  He stopped on the side to take some pic's.  He said the wolf had to go close to 200 lbs.  Never saw one that large he said.

He said the wolf came up to his car and started to walk around it.  Had to move the care to get away from it.  Makes me wonder if he was on a bike or on foot what would of happened.  That's why I always carry.  Wolves getting too comfortable around humans it may be.

Years ago something like that happening would be rare if at all.  good luck.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I believe it was last week 2 wolves attacked a chocolate lab while out walking a trail in the Duluth area right in front of the dogs owner, think wcco did a story on it. Been hunting grouse since the late 80's all over the northern woods and back then we never even gave it a thought on wolf encounters.Theres been way too many hunting dogs getting killed or severely injured while out in the woods lately. That wolf better think twice about going after my hounds...

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen that in Outdoor News on that Duluth story just this week Boober. The guys carries an axe as a walking stick & managed to get a pc of 1 wolf with it but had to throw himself on top of his dog to save it from the other 1. Not 300 yds from his backdoor! :crazy:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 :reporter; How to Survive a Wolf Attack!

:popcorn:
Wolves are dangerous, powerful predatory animals. They usually do not show aggression toward people, but it never hurts to be prepared for the worst when you find yourself in wolf territory. If you are attacked by a wolf, do not run away. Maintain eye contact, make yourself look large, and make loud, intimidating noises. Get to a safe place as soon as you can.

Or...Just show him how tuff you really are!  :rotflmao:

Interesting Read if you choose...... :coffee:
https://www.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Wolf-Attack

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 06/02/19, 09:52:08 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
It is an interesting article and may be helpful if all you have is your feet and hands.  My view is do not go in areas where wolves are on foot and in the forests if you are not prepared.  I think a lot of tourists for example think that a long hike in the wilderness is seen through rose colored glasses searching for beauty and wildlife.  Most of the time nothing will happen but to go there without at least some kind of protection [bear spray at least] is foolish.

This happened to me two years ago while Muzzy hunting.  Been hunting here since I was a kid in the 60's.  Public land all of this time and never have been bothered by other hunters.  While sitting in my stand I heard a pack of wolves in the distance.  No big deal, have heard them before plenty of times.  Then they came closer, then closer, then right by my stand.  One looked at me and started to grunt and mash it's teeth,  showing them to me as well.

Could of shot some of them with my handgun but didn't want to.  They left after about 5 minutes or so.  Think they were chasing a deer.  Well my brother was hunting there also and we always meet up around noon for lunch.  Some snow on the trail I take in and sure enough that's where they ran in.

Made me think what would of happened if I met up with them as they were running in.  I walked back to where my brother was with my handgun out just in case.  First time I felt some fear in the woods.  I've seen wolves before but as soon as they spotted me they ran the other way.

Had a pack of them during heavy snow come right at us from a distance while ice fishing years ago.  This was a remote lake.  Got in there with a 6 wheeler.  First we thought they were deer until they got close enough to see.  We all were armed but just waved our arms and yelled and they quickly turned and ran.  They may have thought we were deer, who knows.  So yes they need to be controlled.  People down here in the cities don't get it, but most up north do.  good luck.
« Last Edit: June 06/02/19, 10:17:46 AM by Reinhard »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they will controlled, maybe, after they attack a people I'm thinking!!!     
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Shimek will speak about the importance of the wolf to the Anishinaabe culture and spiritual beliefs.

It's hard when people talk about their culture and spiritual beliefs in favor of Wolves.

I wonder if people addicted to tobacco and gambling makes Mother Earth happy?  :scratch:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Ya what a joke.  They aren't spiritual to me so I will shoot them.

It's hard when people talk about their culture and spiritual beliefs in favor of Wolves.

I wonder if people addicted to tobacco and gambling makes Mother Earth happy?  :scratch:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Shootz'em. :fudd: :fudd: :green archer:

Don't get me wrong, I believe they have a purpose, but need to have population control.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: June 06/03/19, 11:35:13 AM by Leech~~ »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Since I didn't say that let me fix this for you. My point is it's a bit hypocritical for them to say one thing and then take the money offered to them and not care about the peoples lives gambling can destroy. People have killed their spouses for insurance money to pay off their gambling debts! Does that make Mother Earth happy?   :undecided:

Ya what a joke.  They aren't spiritual to me so I will shoot them.   

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Spirit Brother, Walleye, don't get no respect.
 :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Don't get me wrong, I believe they have a purpose, but need to have population control.

Wolves?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

Wolves?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :sleazy:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I would love to trap or snare one.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.