Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: A first for me  (Read 2889 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hard to believe I have never fished open water on Mille Lacs Lake.  I did ice fish there with my dad over 50 years ago. However, that's about to change.  I won a three night stay at the Red Door Resort at our MDHA banquet last March.  I am going tomorrow.  Plan is to just head out and look for fish as I have no idea where to go or how to catch them.  Lets just call it a big experiment.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I remember that!  :happy1: good luck, just follow the other boats! :rotflmao: everything I hear about red door is top notch!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That sounds like fun DE.  I enjoyed just driving past it the other day.  About 25 years ago I took my father in law to Mille Lacs and we fished off one of the big old wooden launches.  We had a great time doing that and I would do it again.  Caught some fish too and it was great to check out that big boat.  Good luck DE.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
  :cool: :happy1: Good luck & have fun!
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

You could have hocked it on C/List and saved yourself some gas!  :bonk:   :fish2: :fish2:  :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We had a great time while staying at the Red Door on Mille Lacs Lake.  On Sunday a friend pointed out a few spots we should try.  We did and caught some but nothing big.  On Monday the wind was blowing from the south (Red Door is on the north) and the guy I went with had to go to a wake.  Wind died down around 5 so I went out by my self.  A little scary taking his boat out on Mille Lacs by my self having only been on the lake one time the day before. I got 6 walleye up to 20 inches.  Tuesday we went exploring and found a few spots that were pretty good.  Wind picked up a bit as some weather moved through but we caught around 15 with a number greater than 20 inches and one 26 incher.  We pretty much had a couple miles of lake without any other boats so it was fun. We went out Wednesday morning for two hours and caught 7 fish including another 26 incher.  We did pretty good for a couple old farts on the this lake for the first time and not really being walleye fisherman.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :happy1: nice fish deadeye!; :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Awesome fish DE!!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
What a great trip.  Nice fish DE.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Nice looking walleyes! Sounds like a great trip! Congrats!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Love it!!!  Way to slay them.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.