Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Finished fencing new apple trees  (Read 2295 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Because it was raining when we planted them several weeks ago, we just dug a hole (which promptly filled with water) and stuck the trees in the muddy mess.  Yesterday I got around to putting up the posts and protective fencing.  The new apple trees are all budding out and starting to bloom.  The ground is now hard so it looks like they will be ok. 

This tree was planted two years ago.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Deadeye, how many new apple trees do you add each year? Do you plant a variety of different types?
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
2015 we planted 15 apple and 3 plum trees. 
2016 we planted 18 apple trees.  We replaced one plum that did not grow.
2017 we planted 9 apple trees.  We again replaced a plum tree that did not live.
2018  None, I purchased some but a friend wanted to start an orchard on his hunting land so I gave them to him.
This year we planted 17.

About 12 years ago I planted about 25 crab trees along a field edge.  They were about a foot tall and smaller then a pencil.  They have done great.   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
deadeye, if your purchasing your trees from the same place...................they gotta have $$$$$$$$$$$ in there eyes when they see you walk in!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
2015 we planted 15 apple and 3 plum trees. 
2016 we planted 18 apple trees.  We replaced one plum that did not grow.
2017 we planted 9 apple trees.  We again replaced a plum tree that did not live.
2018  None, I purchased some but a friend wanted to start an orchard on his hunting land so I gave them to him.
This year we planted 17.

About 12 years ago I planted about 25 crab trees along a field edge.  They were about a foot tall and smaller then a pencil.  They have done great.   
[img width=480
height=360]https://tinypix.top/images/2019/06/11/qyKNS.md.jpg[/img]

deadeye,
Do you buy bare root stock or potted trees? So is that fencing about 4’ tall, and it prevents deer, and other critters from damaging the trees? I ask because I’m planting a couple apple trees on my farm this weekend.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cooperman,
I have to give MDHA a shout out for the apple tree program.  A number of years ago one chapter had a member who owned a nursery.  This was important because you need to be a licensed nursery to purchase the bare root trees from the growers.  Up until this year I purchased the bare root trees (multiple varieties of apple and plum) through this chapter.  Cost was low as I think the first ones were $15.00.  The cost did go up a bit during the next few years but not a big deal.  Because the member who had the nursery license sold retired, they needed a new plan to continue the tree program.  Last year the program was expanded state wide after MDHA obtained a nursery license.  MDHA members throughout the state were able to buy the bare root trees at $20 which included shipping to various locations.  I must admit I was a bit skeptical about "bare root" planting however, we probably lost only a handful over the years and by far the majority of them were plum trees.  It's probably too late for bare root trees this year.

I use 5 foot high fencing (welded wire 2x4") and a 6 foot post.  I use about 5.5 feet of fencing for each tree.  I also put tubes on the trunk to prevent mice and rabbits from eating the bark in the winter.  We finish of the planting with a half bag of mulch bark to keep the weeds and grass down and help keep the roots cool and to help hold moisture.  This year I got he posts and fencing off a local facebook market for cheap.  I also got the mulch for a $1 a bag from the damaged pile at Menards.  Fencing and tubes are a requirement, don't skimp or skip this step.

Bare root trees in back of pickup.  Gives you a size prospective.

It's a bit of work digging a hole and getting the tree set properly.

It's a blessing to have good help.

Good view of finished product. 

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks deadeye for the advice. I’ll have to protect them the best I can because I don’t live on my farm, and can’t keep an eye on them.