Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: New line  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Anyone do anything special to get out line twist "memory" out of mono after spooling up new line? (I have a line spooler at home) I buy in the larger diameter spools, which helps. I then run it out behind the boat all the way with a barrel sinker and swivel on the end, reeling it in between lightly "pinched" fingers to get out any final twist... you can tie it to something with a swivel on the end of the line and walk it out like this, too.
« Last Edit: June 06/23/19, 04:47:41 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
The only mono I use is on the sunnies rods, but ya on the Friday before opener the bro and I rig up 6 rods with 832 suffix and we'll drag em behind the boat, nothing tied to the line but only to get the braid tight and even so it un spools nicely on live bait rig bites.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I gots ta use the cheap stuff....  :undecided:  I'd like to try the braid sometime. When we do the crappies, the 8-10 spots we hit are right up to rocky shore under hanging trees, and there's lots of branches and logs in the water.  *SNAP* goes the mono; but it's where ya catch the papermouths! Might save ya a few hooks yanked outta their mouths with the stretch of mono, though...and as much as I get out, well... :azn:
« Last Edit: June 06/23/19, 05:35:23 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
this tends to help but time consuming, lie line spool on floor, tie line to spool, hold tension on line between index finger and thumb, give 10 tp 15 cranks open bail, if line unravels off of spool, flip line spool over, and repeat process till done.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I do both Boars and drag the line behind the boat with nothing on it..  they both seem to help...  cheap line or not....
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I use  berkely trilene and all I have ever done was lay the spool on the floor label side up, tie it to the reel spool, hold the line with my fingers and reel it up with tension on the line with my fingers. hasn't failed me yet.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
sure it haz, yu cant catch fish :rotflmao:
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
I usually throw the spool in a five gallon bucket of water and hold the line with my fingers and reel it on the spool, as you are filling the reel the spool is floating in the water and it will be able to turn and flip its self around to get the twists out. That has worked pretty good for me. If I need to respool while out fishing I’ll just throw it over the side of the boat or in the river if fishing from shore.
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I use the cheap stuff too, 4# on my crappie rod. I just lay it down so it comes off the spool in the same direction as it goin on the reel. If it gets too bad after that I do then sinker while trolling thing.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
My line spooler allows you to put the spool on vertically or horizontally as it unwinds, and you can adjust the spool tension also. But, still seems to be some line twist, though minimal.
I also just laid the new spool of line on the floor and let in bounce around while spooling up, that didn't work so well... :rolleyes:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
My line spooler allows you to put the spool on vertically or horizontally as it unwinds, and you can adjust the spool tension also. But, still seems to be some line twist, though minimal.
I also just laid the new spool of line on the floor and let in bounce around while spooling up, that didn't work so well... :rolleyes:

That sounds kinda like my way & yeah it will bounce around a bit if'n you go a little too fast. :bonk: I forgot to mention that I usually run it between my thumb & forefinger as it's goin on the reel to put some tension on it too.
« Last Edit: June 06/25/19, 08:32:17 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've had this one for about 20 years or more. Guy is wrong about the big spools not fitting; he doesn't know how to flip the arm up, or use the pop-in spool grommets... :rolleyes:
Other than that, it works well. The line stripper is great too...rips it off in about 5 seconds.

https://youtu.be/48QANDGCaG4

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I've tried all kinds of ways over the years [do it yourself at home type].  Yes I found the best way to get rid of any twists is to run your line with nothing on while on the lake and reel it back in through my fingers.  In general though I found that it's best to go somewhere and let them put the line on for you with good quality line.  I usually go to Vadoes or Fleet Farm for that and I'm set to go.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Then there was the notion that soaking the spool in hot water THEN winding it on would help.....that actually will weaken and flat-spot mono, since it's actually poly.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
me thinks you guyz are just amatuers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
The one that hoots the most has the least to say....... :whistling: