Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Summer salads  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Got a favorite for summer? Post it here! 

Some of my favorites:

Reb’s ‘cukes in sauce

1 very large cucumber (or 2 smaller ones)
1 purple onion
⅓ cup of Miracle Whip
1 good cup of thick sour cream
1 Tbsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp. Dill weed
¼ tsp. Onion powder
¼ tsp. Garlic powder
⅓ cup white vinegar

Make sauce:

Combine all ingredients except for onion and cucumber, slowly folding in. Don’t stir fast!
Peel and slice cucumber thin, add to sauce. Cut 4-5 very thin whole slices off of onion; then quarter them.  Add to sauce.
Refrigerate overnight, occasionally stirring.

Enjoy!

Mac ham and pea salad

1 1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni, WELL  drained
3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed and drained (don't cook!)
1/2 cup cubed ham
1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, cubed small (just chunk up 3-4 thick cheese slices)
1/4 cup celery, diced
2 Tbsp diced onions
dash of salt
About a 1 1/2- 2 cups of Miracle whip, until salad is consistency you like. Remember mac will absorb some of it; so always add a bit more than you think you need.
DO NOT use the "lite" miracle whip; it will separate and become "watery" in a day.

Mix all ingredients together well, cover and let sit in 'fridge at least half a day.

Crab Salad

1 pound imitation crab meat  ( I use Louis Kemp Flake or chunk style, 1 pkg)
1/2 small red onion minced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup celery minced
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dill
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In a large bowl add all the ingredients together gently, stirring until well coated.
Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Goes nice on a bed of lettuce with some tomato wedges.
« Last Edit: June 06/26/19, 08:44:56 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Those look great Rebs.  I think I will make one today.  Not sure which one. 

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
  Thanks reb, just took your recipes out of the printer and will be trying the crab salad for sure.
mm

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You got any 3 bean salad recipes Rebs? Love that stuff and while it's not hard to find in the deli at Sly Vee & other places, it would be nice to have my own supply at times. Guessing it's not too tough to make so it shouldn't make a huge dent in the gin supply.  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: June 06/26/19, 09:51:20 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sorry, no. Hate three bean salad!  :puke:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Oh ya, I forgot that has those evil green things that you detest in it... :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Best thing to do with a three-bean salad is use it as a poultice for hemorrhoids.  :embarrassed:

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
You got any 3 bean salad recipes Rebs? Love that stuff and while it's not hard to find in the deli at Sly Vee & other places, it would be nice to have my own supply at times. Guessing it's not too tough to make so it shouldn't make a huge dent in the gin supply.  :rotflmao:
Ditch,
Pinterest probably has quite a few.

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I love macaroni salad, but I hate the runny, watery kind you get at the market. This recipe I found, and have been making for a while is very good.

Macaroni salad

1 cup Mayo
2 tbl Vinegar
1 tbl Mustard
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt
1⁄4 tsp Pepper
1⁄2 lb Macaroni cooked and drained
1 cup Celery
1⁄2 cup Chopped green pepper
1⁄2 cup Chopped red pepper
1⁄2 cup Chopped green onion
mix all ingredients and refrigerate to blend flavors

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
all sound good!!!!  will be trying some too!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Best thing to do with a three-bean salad is use it as a poultice for hemorrhoids.  :embarrassed:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
OK Polly party pooper! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I made the crab salad and the macaroni and ham one for tonight.  May be too hot too cook. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
You sure?  :scratch: Might help keep glenn........................................... :doah: ;) :rolleyes: :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
It's probably on "his list"..... :rolleyes:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
It's probably on "his list"..... :rolleyes:
:happy1: Then it'd be good for keepin him away. ;) :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
No one else has a good recipe for a Summer salad?  :confused:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Betty crocker!! :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:angry:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

None from personal experience.   I can post some stuff I have found or from Cooks Illustrated that looks good if you guys want.

Here's one I just saw that looked interesting...
Tiger Salad: A Light and Bright Side Dish With a Refreshing Bite
ome restaurant dishes are so good, you can't help but order them every time you have the opportunity. For me, the tiger vegetable salad at the New York–based chain Xi'an Famous Foods is one such dish. It features crisp-tender bits of celery, fragrant cilantro leaves and stems, scallions sliced on the bias, and a few slivers of spicy Longhorn peppers, all tossed with a sweet-salty sesame oil vinaigrette.

It's the perfect complement to everything on the menu; whether you order the cumin-lamb noodle soup, a plate of slippery liang pi (cold skin noodles), or a pork burger and a crowd of spinach dumplings, the tiger vegetable salad is hard to pass up, given just how well its cool spiciness fits with anything. But I've always thought that if the folks at Xi'an offered the vegetables undressed and the dressing on the side, as they do for the liang pi noodles, you could cart the salad home and serve it with any number of meals, from almost any cuisine—a tray of barbecue, say, or a platter of fried clams and fries, or a Japanese breakfast spread, even—and it would be just as complementary.

Of course, Xi'an Famous Foods isn't the only place where you can get this salad. The dish, called lao hu cai and sometimes translated as "tiger salad," appears on the menus of several restaurants focused on the cuisines of Northern China.

One of the most memorable versions I've had (which in no way supplants Xi'an's version in my heart, but is nevertheless very, very tasty) is the one at Fu Run, since the salad there comes topped with the small dried shrimp that Fuchsia Dunlop says are called "shrimp skin" in Chinese. You can find these at large Chinese-American supermarkets, in the section housing refrigerated dried seafood, or buy them online.

The main element of this salad is celery, which makes it a wonderful dish to have in your repertoire if you, like me, often find yourself with a surplus of celery. I love celery's flavor and use it in salads of all kinds, including this winter chicory salad. I even enjoy it in stir-fries, where it takes on a kind of bean-sprout quality, if you cut the celery ribs thinly on a bias.

If you're breaking into a new head of celery for this recipe, I'd suggest removing the outer ribs and reserving them for another purpose. I tend to hold on to the outer ribs for stocks and broths, since they're a little woodier and peeling them takes a little more effort than peeling the interior ribs—and peel them you must.

Well, maybe not "must," but I am a very strong advocate for peeling celery; there are few things I find as irritating as a stringy bit of celery. You may not feel the same way, so it's up to you to decide if you're fine with leaving those stringy bits in your salad.

After I've cut the (peeled) celery into batons, I rip apart a small bundle of washed and spun cilantro, using my hands. I reserve any of the thicker stems for use in cooked dishes, or something like nam phrik.

You'll want the more tender stems of cilantro you use in the salad to be rather long, at least three inches. Then I slice some scallions thinly on a bias, to yield elongated rounds, and I do the same with the chili pepper. My local stores don't carry Longhorn peppers, but they do carry long hot peppers.*

* You can use any pepper in this salad, from mild to spicy, but part of the dish's appeal is the contrast between the cool vegetables and the spiciness of the pepper slivers, so I strongly suggest trying it with a pepper that's on the spicy side.

Cutting these other vegetables on a bias greatly enhances the experience of eating the salad. The planks of celery, when picked up by a pair of chopsticks, serve to sandwich the cilantro stems, the scallions, and the hot pepper. If the cilantro stems are left long, and the thin slices of scallion and hot pepper are long, too, it requires no futzing at all to get a nice mix of vegetables in each bite.

Once all your vegetables are cut, toss them in a mixing bowl and make the dressing, which is so simple that it barely deserves a description—just stir together rice vinegar, salt, and sugar until the solids dissolve, then add soy sauce and sesame oil and stir again to combine. That's it.

Dress the salad, put it on a single serving plate (or divide it between two plates), and then, if you like, sprinkle over the top a couple tablespoons of those tiny dried shrimp.

It's a salad that transcends both season and cuisine, plus it's easy to make and it goes with everything. What's not to like?

I make absolutely zero claims about the authenticity of this recipe. It's essentially an approximation of the salad Xi'an Famous Foods offers, but I added the dried-shrimp topping, just because I love the extra pops of shrimp-y saltiness in every other bite.

Ingredients
3 celery ribs (5 ounces; 140g), preferably cut from closer to the heart, peeled of tough fibers and cut into quite thick matchstick lengths
1/2 long hot green pepper (1/2 ounce; 14g), split in half, each half then cut on a bias (see note)
2 scallions, sliced thinly on a bias (2 ounces; 56g)
1 small bunch cilantro leaves and tender stems, torn by hand or chopped into 3-inch lengths (1 ounce; 28g)
1 tablespoon (15ml) rice vinegar
3/4 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt; if using table salt, use half as much by volume
3/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons tiny dried shrimp (0.2 ounce; 6g); see note

Directions
1.In a medium mixing bowl, combine celery, long hot green pepper, scallions, and chopped cilantro.

2.In a small bowl, combine rice vinegar, salt, and sugar, then stir to dissolve the salt and sugar completely. Add soy sauce and sesame oil and stir to combine.

3.Pour dressing over vegetables, tossing to ensure thorough distribution.

4.Mound vegetables on a serving plate and sprinkle dried shrimp all over the top. Serve immediately.

You can use any chili pepper you like in this dish, or even bell pepper if you're averse to chili heat.

The tiny dried shrimp called for here can be found in well-stocked Chinese-American supermarkets, in the section housing refrigerated dried seafood, or ordered online.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok; I'll just post another of mine.....

Cucumber and tomato salad

3 cups sliced cucumbers, seeds removed and halved
2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved and seeds out
1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
1 small green bell pepper,  diced
1/4 cup chopped green onion and dill weed
4 tablespoons olive oil (or light canola)
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or white vinegar)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

Place the cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper and herbs in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and oregano.
Pour the dressing over the vegetables. Toss gently to coat well. Pop in 'fridge for about half hour.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds great Rebs.  That may be today's taste treat for the wife and I.   

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We do a lot of pasta salads, box of tri color spiral noodles ( cant remember what there called), cut up small brick of Monterey jack, package of pepperoni,  can of black olives and Italian dressing.. boil noodles,  rinse with cold water add remaining ingredients and let sit in the refrigerator until everything is cooled off.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've had that boober, that's good!!! I like the peppy roni in it.............. :tongue:

Here's one...

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pepperoni-pasta-salad/
« Last Edit: June 06/28/19, 09:42:38 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have done something like that Bobber and Reb, but not the italian dressing..  have to try that!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, this time don't pour beer on it.  :rotflmao: :bonk:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, this time don't pour beer on it.  :rotflmao: :bonk:

that's to wash it down!!!!!!!!!!!!     :rotflmao: :happy1: