Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Growing out of the ground.  (Read 3436 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I've owned the property since 1987, it's an old farmstead. Every year something pops up out of the ground. Today, I was mowing....and this is something, you DON'T want to hit with your mower. Needless to say, I gotta fix the mower now.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
A old knife with the wooden handle rotted off??  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Looks like a bastard (mill) file..... :doah:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Reb is correct, it's a file. Damaged the deck and the blade. I'm not sure about the spindle yet. I just put those blades on this year toooooooo.......  :bonk:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh, that sucks!  At least yer engine is OK. Watched my dopey neighbor hit a brick, and spun the crank, shearing off the chuck key.  :rolleyes:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that hurts hope the spindle is OK!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I hooked an old ground rod in the middle of my yard last year.  All of the dragging mowing etc and it finally stuck up far enough for the mower to grab.  Didn't hurt anything though.  Must have been an old building there at some time.  This is an old farmstead too. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I was planning on mowing the lawn today, but it's raining here.
I did check the blades, and they were mangled. I replaced both. I tried to wiggle and wobble the spindles, and didn't notice any play. I straightened out the deck as well. So, hopefully when it dries out... I will get to test it, and everything works.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! :censored: That's more twisted than Glenn! Glad the spindle is OK!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have wrecked blades too, but that is a real bang up job!!!!  hope the spindles are good too... 

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I was planning on mowing the lawn today, but it's raining here.
I did check the blades, and they were mangled. I replaced both. I tried to wiggle and wobble the spindles, and didn't notice any play. I straightened out the deck as well. So, hopefully when it dries out... I will get to test it, and everything works.
Not sure I've ever seen any blades bent like that before. :bow: :crazy:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Welp, I pulled an HD yday with my rider. Worse, in the way that it was my fault.  I have to drive up and thru a small incline along the side of my house to go thru the gate and into the backyard. Gate is 3' from corner of house, and my edging and river rock ends right to the left, by my downspout. There was a clump of grass I thought I could swing left then right real fast and get, instead of using my trimmer. Well, didn't do it fast enough, and front wheel went over edging, and before I could brake, pulled me right into the river rock on the incline. *GRIND*GNASH* Deck went right into rocks.   :banghead:
Shut it down right away, disengaged blade, raised deck, and backed outta rock. Drove back to garage and pulled blade off deck....Whoa jeezus.... :doah: That dinged it and chewed it up pretty good. Took it to wire brush on grinder to get off the little "curls" of metal, then decided to parallel  grind entire front edge back about 1/64". Did that, then reground the blade bevel against wheel. Put it on balancer and had to do more work to balance it out. Then finished it up with fine hand file until really sharp again. (Way I normally sharpen it) Came out really good, just a few real tiny nicks left. Good enough to last thru Fall until next Spring, anyway.
Next time I drive straight thru gate directly into yard.... :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: August 08/16/19, 11:31:26 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well at least you saved your blade.  I don't think HD and I could done anything besides having a very large paper weights!! 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Guess I was lucky it was loose river rock, and not solid! Actually just skimmed over top of landscape edging with no damage to it! However, someone put a big brown spot in my shorts!  :embarrassed:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
as Glenn would say!!!  "TMI"!!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I bet your neighbors are still laughing their azzes off!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Prolly not, since I fix most of their mowers and sharpen their blades for 'em.    ;)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok that's right.  Good for you and I bet the appreciate the heck out of it.