Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Polish Sausage  (Read 6712 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, two days but I got 25 pounds of polish sausage done.  My brother is bugging me for some.  Normally I make them for deer camp but I'll give him some and his son and my nephew also in Duluth.  Rest I'll keep.  Make more for deer camp.  good luck.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :hubba: :hubba: dang they look good!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

thought I could smell that from the union hall!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Um numm..... :party1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Those look great RH. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
lookin good RH!!   and a good color on them too!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm thinking that may be the next thing we make.  I will read up on it at your site RH.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS,  Ya I have it on my site [Curley's Smoked Polish 25#]  but I did ad 3 T of crushed red pepper flakes to this one and my last batch.  Will keep doing this from now on.  Adds just a bit of heat but doesn't take  away the flavor.  good luck.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I will do that too.  So how much milk powder did you add to 25 lbs. 

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
5 cups of powderd milk.  I grind the meat once through a mideum plate.  Put the mustard seeds on the meat and the powdered milk.  Then in 6 cups of water I put the seasoning and garlic and mix and pour over the meat and mix.  Oh ya, I put the red pepper flakes over the meat also.  One time my brother wanted it more course for deer camp so I ground the butts half through the course plate and the other half through the medium plate and called it kielbasa LOL.  worked out great.  good luck.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds great.  So do you use all pork?

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Three pork butts and the rest in ground beef to make it to 25 pounds.  My grandfather who had a butcher shop in Germany always used pork and beef in all of the sausage so I do also.  Those are average size butts.  sometimes when I get two big butts say 8 to 9 pounds then I do the rest in beef.  This last batch [this one] the butts were on the small side.  So if I get close to 18 pounds of pork or so, that determines the rest in beef.  Pretty much 6 or 7 pound of beef each batch.  good luck.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good to know, thanks RH.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd love to watch RH make those and learn something.  :smiley:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
RH's German heritage alone genetically predisposes him to being an excellent sausage maker. If he still lives by the nudist colony it would be fun to look him up sometime when I stay at my brother's place on my way thru to Canada. And he agrees with me on Johnsonville brats being icky... :happy1: :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Even the blue guy does too...and so do I . Taste like musy sh** to me. Terrible. Haven't bought those for about a year or more.....

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, I think I still live by the nudist colony if it's still there.  Never hear about it here locally.  Maybe have to learn how to fly a drone and do a slow flyover  :hubba:.  I agree with the store bought sausage.  Ambassador old fashion wieners course ground has even changed to what they were originally.  I know because I worked there for one year way back when the plant was located here in Mpls.  They made great stuff back then.  Your local meat markets should have some good home made sausage.  There is one here in Mpls that has great sausage.  I know I'll get the spelling wrong but it's Kamarchecks.  During the holliday's it's standing room only.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes!!! That's the one Reb, thanks.  Great place.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yer right about the Ambassadors....bought some this Spring, and ....ish! Tasted just like the cheap ones, and the price was close to $5 for a pkg!!!!  :doah:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Gets harder every year to find a good hot dog.  And I used to love Johnsonvilles but they seem too fatty to me now.  I have been buying the lesser known brands when on sale.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Even the Schweigert old-fashioned coarse ground have gotten "mushy"...and smaller!!
I bought some Schweigert Twins Ballpark hot dogs last year...they were awful! Who woulda thunk that some day ya won't be able to find a good weenie?! :tongue:
And whatever happened to foot-longs!! I wanna go back to the 70's!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 07/07/19, 08:57:36 AM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I got a pack of them a few months ago too.  Maybe a dozen in the pack and I thought well at least these are good ones.  I am not kidding I couldn't eat them all.  Had 2 or 3 and both the wife and I didn't like them.  We threw them away.  That's bad as I can usually eat about anything.  I wondered if it was just a bad batch or what?  Yes they were mushy. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
No, it sure wasn't you, Barry! I'm an eating machine, no lists for me, ( ;)) and I couldn't eat 'em either!  Ever tried Nathan's? I thought they were pretty greasy...
« Last Edit: July 07/07/19, 09:00:56 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes it's more about the profit margin than good texture and flavor.  A lot of folks are used to those products and have never bought a quality sausage from a meat market.  There are a few good ones in Wisconsin also in the Hayward area.  Yes the fat content can be seen more and more in Johnsonville and others.  You can just look at them and see the difference.  I don't know what they use for binders.  A binder is something that absorbs the moisture to retain it so it stay's juicy, also the fat.  I use powdered milk and have been using it for over 40 years now.  I use only pork butts with NO added fat.  A pork butt by itself without the fat cap is still 30% fat.  And of course I do also ad some beef.  Lot of producers use picnic meat which is 50/50 fat vs lean I have heard, or a combination of straight pork fat and lean but heavy on the fat in my opinion.  good luck.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
There is a butcher shop in Millerville that I used to go to when I lived in that area.  Great sausages there.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Even the Schweigert old-fashioned coarse ground have gotten "mushy"...and smaller!!
I bought some Schweigert Twins Ballpark hot dogs last year...they were awful! Who woulda thunk that some day ya won't be able to find a good weenie?! :tongue:
And whatever happened to foot-longs!! I wanna go back to the 70's!!!!!
there is a butcher shop in Richmond, my hometown, that makes really good hot dogs and bologna. called plantenbergs. I have all my vension processed  there into summer sausage, hot dogs and pepper sticks.

for lunh today i'll be grilling some venison polish sausage my brother gave me he had made out in Wisconsin. its a wild rice, mushroom brat. report later!!!!!!!!!! I torn the label off to much but its made in stevens point and called peoples...……?????

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We are fortunate to have several pretty decent meat markets to buy sausage from including Schmidt's in Nicollet, Steve's in Ellendale and Morgan's in Bugtussle. Morgan's daughter is one of the 4-H kids who comes out here daily to work with their sheep. When he brought her out the other night mentioned that I really didn't like Johnsonville brats as they had that boar pig taint to them. He laughed and said that's because they're making them out of boar pigs and old sows that have run their course in the nurseries. It's cheap and that's all they care about. Doesn't matter how much seasoning you use, covering up boar pig flavor is next to impossible. The worst part is people have become accustomed to it so they don't know the difference.  :confused:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
smelled boar bacon once, oh my that was nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!   so yes they will try anything to make a buck........
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
smelled boar bacon once, oh my that was nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!   so yes they will try anything to make a buck........
I smelled boar a couple Saturdays ago...…..yea he was nasty too!!!!!!!!!! :doofus: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman